BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Auto gear box

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2018 16:09 #198374 by Cremator1
Auto gear box was created by Cremator1
Hi all sorry for so many questions but I am slowly learning about my new jimny noticed today that is doing about 4000 revs before it change into gear 4 is this right first time I have noticed it many thanks Dawn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2018 11:50 - 03 Dec 2018 11:53 #198568 by jimkyx
Replied by jimkyx on topic Re:Auto gear box
Apologies for late response as had to do some testing.

4000rpm in 3rd before changing to 4th seems high to me.

1000rpm in 3rd is approx 15mph so you must be doing 60mph.

1000rpm in 4th is approx 20mph.

Mine shifts into 4th at about 40 mph (when hot) which is about 2600rpm in 3rd.

My conclusions based on previous cars (with limited electronics) are:-

● You must be driving it very hard
● The kick down needs adjusting
● The torque converter is slipping more than it should

Does anyone know how the Jimny auto box is controlled?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Last edit: 03 Dec 2018 11:53 by jimkyx .

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2018 11:58 - 03 Dec 2018 11:59 #198569 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Re:Auto gear box
No but I agree with your possibility list. How old is the car and what is the mileage and has the oil level been checked?
Not to be picky but this should be in the technical forum as more responses might be forthcoming.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2018 11:59 by mickt.

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2018 16:41 #198576 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Re:Auto gear box
Hi it’s 2013 15000 miles it seems to do it when cold when hot seems ok

More
03 Dec 2018 21:50 - 03 Dec 2018 21:51 #198597 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic Re:Auto gear box
Hi Dawn.

If it is your first automatic it could just be a case of adjusting your driving style. I dont mean that to be patronising or cheeky but driving an automatic is very different to a manual.

As Jimkyx mentioned, you could be accelerating too hard. Automatics change down gear when the accelerator is flat on the floor, kickdown.

On your Jimny, the kickdown and automatic gearbox control is all taken care of electronically. Which means, if there is a fault and it happens enough times/for long enough that particular control unit will pick up on it and store a fault code. If the fault is detected in the engine (the throttle position for example) the engine management light will show.
If there is a problem with the gearbox the 'od off' light will flash, in severe cases the automatic gearbox will only operate in 3rd gear.
In otherwords, if there was anything serious, the control unit would probably know about it before you even noticed!

From my experience with Jimnys, sticking in 3rd gear is usually the first sign of trouble with the gearbox. Automatic gearboxes are not cheap. Torque converters are not cheap. Because automatic gearboxes are usually quite reliable, mechanics rarely get the chance to work on them so arriving at your local garage asking them to do anything with an automatic gearbox is usually met with a look of terror!

There are things you, as an owner can do like check the oil (the 1st thing I look at if I have a car at work with automatic gearbox problems regardless of the symptoms.
Drive the car until the heater blows hot.
Select P, then R, then N, D, 2, L then back to N and turn the car off.
Check the oil level on the automatic gearbox, should be on the passenger side of the engine bay.
Oil level should be between the 2 dots. The oil should resemble strawberry sauce.

It sounds simple but as the automatic gearbox is just a big hydraulic pump it needs the correct amount of oil to do anything. The colour is important too. Brown means something is burnt and on its way out. Pink means water is leaking in somewhere.

Given the age and mileage of your Jimny I'd be expecting red oil above the bottom dot on the dipstick. It takes about 100ml to raise the oil level from the bottom dot to the top and that amount can make a difference!
If your problem disappears as the car heats up I'd imagine, if there is a problem it is to do with the oil level.

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux
Last edit: 03 Dec 2018 21:51 by Delux.

More
03 Dec 2018 21:58 #198598 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:Auto gear box
Could it be that someone has put incorrect grade/type oil in at some time?

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
03 Dec 2018 22:14 - 03 Dec 2018 22:19 #198599 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic Re:Auto gear box
I dont think there is any reason for that to have happened.

The auto box oil doesnt need changed until something ridiculous like 99000 miles.

If the car had a problem at that age/mileage that made it necessary to refill the gearbox it would probably been done at the dealers.

Even if it wasnt, I'm pretty sure Dexron II or III would be ok. I've never tested it but gear oil would either work fine or render it immobile!

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux
Last edit: 03 Dec 2018 22:19 by Delux.

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2018 16:44 - 04 Dec 2018 16:46 #198628 by Cremator1
Hi all thank u for input I will check the oil level this is not my first auto I have a merc auto for summer driving if it needs oil does it just go in the dip stick hole
Last edit: 04 Dec 2018 16:46 by Cremator1.

More
06 Dec 2018 18:15 #198720 by jimkyx
Replied by jimkyx on topic Re:Auto gear box
aaaaah! the missing condition is 'when cold'.
Tried mine and it did delay changing into 4th.
If the oil is OK then I don't think you have a problem.
The ECU must read the rpm and engine temp stopping an early change when cold to reduce strain on the engine.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2018 17:10 #198745 by Cremator1
Hi yes only does it when cold not checked oil yet hand book says to check it with engine running

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds