BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Replacement Antenna

• ChrisW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2018 14:02 #198272 by ChrisW
Replacement Antenna was created by ChrisW
hey guys,

Anyone found a replacement antenna for the Jimny? Mine isn't physically broken, however I get no signal out of it what so ever. I have seen this:
3d-4x4.com/products/suzuki-jimny-aerial-...a-direct-replacement

Which a) is in dollars, b) has no contact info to ask if they ship to the UK and c) its just a 3D printed part so longevity will be an issue unless its soaked in epoxy.

Thanks
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2018 17:41 - 28 Nov 2018 17:41 #198284 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Replacement Antenna
Chris

I know this is a different situation, but my neighbour had a DAB radio put in by Halfords, they fitted an almost invisible aerial to the windscreen which works superbly.
I'm not sure if they disconnected the original aerial or if that is still required to reeceive FM but I don't see why the new DAB aerial in the windscreen wouldn't also do the job for FM.

I certainly wouldnt go through the hassle and expense of importing a component like this uneccessarily - the chances are you may get stung by import duties as well.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 28 Nov 2018 17:41 by Max Headroom.

More
28 Nov 2018 21:57 #198311 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic Replacement Antenna
I've only ever fitted ebay or suzuki replacements but the one from the states does look quite cool.

If the aerial is intact, perhaps have a look under the dash. Depending on the model, year and if someone has messed with it before, some Jimnys aerial lead plugs into an extension lead to the head unit. The 2000 Jimny I just sold had the standard unit but the lead had an extension cable.
Extension cable can fall or be kicked out, might save you some work.

On DAB systems I have worked with, most have a seperate aerial with a different connector to the usual aerial lead. If retro-fitting one, most manufacturers suggest mounting their aerial lead away from the FM aerial one.

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

More
29 Nov 2018 19:20 #198392 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Replacement Antenna
I bought this ebay DAB/FM antenna (british seller) to put on the roof. pretty easy install on the rear of the jimny roof. and way better reception than the glass antennas.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
29 Nov 2018 20:18 #198399 by Roy
Replied by Roy on topic Replacement Antenna
Hi Yakuza
Do you have the item number for the ariel you got from ebay.
Cheers

• ChrisW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2018 00:40 #198428 by ChrisW
Replied by ChrisW on topic Replacement Antenna
This is interesting, and could well be the issue. The antenna on the roof is fine, no damage at all but I get zero signal. Even radio 1 barely plays.

Car is still in the shop getting the rust repaired (they are doing it in the background when there is time as I have another car I can use)

Will dig behind the dash and see if there is a join. I am certain there will be after reading this.

To everyone else, I am not keen on buying the linked one at all, it’s expensive and it’s 3D printed. He doesn’t state what out of, which if is PLA will warp and cause your roof to leak after the first warm day.

More
01 Dec 2018 00:36 - 01 Dec 2018 00:42 #198457 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Replacement Antenna
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Roy wrote: Hi Yakuza
Do you have the item number for the ariel you got from ebay.
Cheers

similar to this one, bought it last year from here: www.ebay.com/usr/rfsuppliers?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2018 00:42 by yakuza.

More
01 Dec 2018 09:20 #198466 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Replacement Antenna
It has a extension plugged in look somewhere behind the odb port

• NickR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2018 16:03 - 03 Dec 2018 16:05 #198574 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic Replacement Antenna
If you get no reception at all, then it is unlikely to be the antenna itself. Replacing the antenna may well fix it if you end up bypassing some issue with a connector, but I would definitely check for the extension and the connector fit in the back of the radio first before changing the antenna. Much easier!!

If you do add a roof antenna with a built-in amp, check how that amp is powered, and whether it still works if you do not power it. I have this one on my roof that I power from the head unit over phantom power back up the antenna, but you won't have that on the standard Jimny radio (I think I am safe in assuming!!)...

File Attachment:

You can power it from the separate 12V feed you can see in Yakuza's ebay link, but I assume he has a different head unit or has given it 12V?

Amusingly, the CB antenna next to it swamps the signal when you press transmit, so I get an auto-mute when using the CB - neat :)

Nick
Last edit: 03 Dec 2018 16:05 by NickR. Reason: Corrected image link

• ChrisW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 11:09 #199536 by ChrisW
FINALLY got my car back from the garrage where they have been fixing the rust, checked the connector and its solid. Pulled it apart and connected the stereo direct to the antenna bypassing the extension and same issue.

Popped the antenna on the roof to have a look to see if its become disconnected up top and nope, all looking fine.

Nick, you mention powered antenna, and the same is linked by Yakuza, the stock antenna isnt powered from what I can see, and since I am using an aftermarket stereo, I wonder if this could be my issue.

The aerial is only sticking out about 2 inches, just double checking some pics and it should come out much further.... it doesnt want to come out. Will give it some encouragement and see if its maybe broken inside there and the last owner just stubbied it up and hid the fact its busted.

• ChrisW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 11:26 #199537 by ChrisW
So pulled it out and I now get BBC stations (and classical) are clear. But I dont get anything else.

More
28 Dec 2018 12:12 - 28 Dec 2018 12:16 #199539 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Replacement Antenna

This is the very discreet DAB aerial in my neighbours Jimny. It's for a DAB radio and works very, very well - she still gets FM but I don't know if the original mast is redundant or not.
She got the Halfords lot to fit a new radio in, which included the windscreen aerial; to be fair they did a very neat job

Chris have you got a good, solid earth on your aerial?

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Dec 2018 12:16 by Max Headroom.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds