BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

REPLACING SUMP

• Pkayman82
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2018 19:50 #197613 by Pkayman82
REPLACING SUMP was created by Pkayman82
Hello,
My Sump has a small crack on it and its leaking Oil. Is it a simple enough job to replace and put on a new one?
Any advice on the matter would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2018 21:09 #197617 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic REPLACING SUMP
Depends on how good a mechanic you are! If you are a blundering idiot inevitably the job will end up with the car on its side and everyone covered in custard pies! LOL!

I'm too lazy to go out and check but I am pretty sure its just a tin sump so its just a case of draining it, unbolting it, unbolting the pick up pipe and replacing it. I seem to remember having to undo the engine mounts and lift the engine to allow the sump to drop enough to get the oil pick up pipe undone but that might just be the M13 engine.

Biggest problem will probably be trying to get the sump off because its very flimsy and will be stuck on tight, probably best to do a bit of reshaping on a decent flat surface before refitting. Also, get everything clean and dry before resealing it and fitting the new sump. Everyone knows the worst job on any car is redoing the job you have just done!

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

• larnach
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2018 16:54 #197640 by larnach
Replied by larnach on topic REPLACING SUMP
yes very simple on the M13A VVT
There is one tricky bolt at the back drivers side but with some variations in the 10mm socket bars and 1/8 drive sets its easy enough with the car on stands and laying on your back under it, the sump drops off without tagging anything else but you need to break the old seal so watch you don't score the block face too much
There are no gaskets as its put on with a sealant, so as Delux says you need to clean up the casing face once the sump is dropped
I suggest you get the recommended sealant which can be purchased with the new sump, which you can buy here at the shop, neh cheap though.
They are terrible for rusting through so this is not a new story, I did mine last year
There are various threads on this site which shows , that's where I got the courage to attack it

More
14 Nov 2018 19:45 #197661 by auchenblae
Replied by auchenblae on topic REPLACING SUMP
Yes done it but buy the Suzuki adhesive as others I used let oil leak.

It is s pig to get it unstuck the first time.

Cleaning the mating surfaces is a pain use Meths.

There is a bit of a problem getting it back on as the sumps hits other stuff.so take care.

Our sump rusted through after about 6 years or so and that was why it was changed

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

More
15 Nov 2018 21:16 #197695 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic REPLACING SUMP
When I worked with Suzuki last, about 4 years ago, there was a recall for some of the 1 litre engines.
They had used the wrong sealer on the timing chain cover. Suzuki sent us a few big tubes of dark grey Threebond stuff. Fantastic sealer!
Anyway, even if you are over-generous with it you only use a tablespoonfull of stuff for the recall so we had 4 of these big tubes of sealer 'spare'!

I've used it on loads of sumps and timing chain covers since and it is great unless you have to remove it again!

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds