BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

31" for the jimny and regear

• Jeep4life
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2018 06:38 #195917 by Jeep4life
Replied by Jeep4life on topic 31" for the jimny and regear
this kit will make any difference on the high?
protrack.gr/en/gears/jimny-vvt-ddis-redu...gears-high-27-low-97

i sent them email and they told me that the ratio fort this kit is H=1.272 and L=4.332
my stock high is 1.320 and low 2.643
im sorry but i dont have really deep understanding with ratios,
this kit will make any difference in high?
i dont think i will go with the rocklobster as it going to be too expensive, may i can go with just gear change that can be close to that, or even better?
thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2018 07:56 #195918 by zukebob
If the email from protrack said that the 27% high and 97% low would give you a 1.272 gear ratio in high, then they are basing the % reduction on a manual t-case.

With 31 inch tires you likely wouldn't notice much difference between the 1.272 and the 1.32. Personally I would prefer a lower ratio but it would still work on highways. As mentioned before, you would be cruising at 90-100 at a slightly lower RPM but it would be a little more work to get there. Your ratio in low would certainly be low enough for rock crawling.

The only caution I would give is that you confirm the kit you mention doesn't require a new chain.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Jeep4life
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2018 08:47 #195920 by Jeep4life
thank you zukebob,
there is any other kit you know that can also modify some high range beside the lobster? now with my 215 it takes me forever to get 100 lol
plus, it can lead to lot of load on the transmission if the same High and bigger tires?

i can live with the same axle shafts for this size?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2018 10:23 #195922 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic 31" for the jimny and regear
Traction4x4 has different ratios in stock, fairly cheap. A 5.14:1 ratio for SJ/Samurai transfercase for less than 400 euro.

No matter what you do, it's gonna cost you money. 400 euro is pretty cheap, and works great.

Perhaps you should consider smaller tyres?

• Jeep4life
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2018 11:51 #195924 by Jeep4life

TomDK wrote: Traction4x4 has different ratios in stock, fairly cheap. A 5.14:1 ratio for SJ/Samurai transfercase for less than 400 euro.

No matter what you do, it's gonna cost you money. 400 euro is pretty cheap, and works great.

Perhaps you should consider smaller tyres?

it looks good, 127% reduction..
do you know if it fit for the pushbutton case and if the chain doesnt need to be repaced?
i know it cost, but the lobster thing will cost around 2k $ .
im just looking for nice crawling, i can see that there is a lot of kits but most of them just upgrade the LOW range,
cant find anything normal for High as well, im just scared to blow my transmission.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2018 13:08 - 12 Sep 2018 13:10 #195928 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic 31" for the jimny and regear
The 5,14:1 ratio is for the SJ transfer case. I cant see how an SJ transfercase, even with mounting cradle can be 2000 USD/£. Don't know where you live.

But it should be possible to find an old SJ tranfercase for £100-150, throw in a new set of bearings.

All gearsets for the SJ transferbox changes both the high and low ratio.

This set changes both high and low in push button jimny transfer case. I've never heard of anyone changing the chain. So I'd only do that if it looks worn out. shop.traction4x4.it/en/crawler-gear-3.74...i-jimny-push-button/
Last edit: 12 Sep 2018 13:10 by TomDK.

• Jeep4life
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2018 09:11 #195969 by Jeep4life
so as i understand my only option to go above 3.7 is to change the tcase with samurai one, and then buy gearing as i wish.
there is really no other simple option to go above 3.7 LOW ratio with the push button?

More
13 Sep 2018 09:37 #195970 by zukebob
I think the 4.332 low that you mentioned from Protrack is the lowest. If you confirm that it doesn't require a replacement chain, please post. I would be curious myself.

More
15 Sep 2018 06:26 #196004 by kirkynut
How has no-one mentioned Richard Redacted in a post that is essentially about gear reduction and Rocklobsters?

See yellow.place/en/rockwatt-eng-scunthorpe-britain or search for Redacted Engineering on Facebook.

He can now make new gearsets to various ratios and polish old gears to make Rocklobsters quiet. At a cost of course.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
15 Sep 2018 08:13 #196005 by zukebob
Kirkynut: While Richard was not mentioned, the rocklobster was early in the post. The OP wanted to stay with his push-button transfer case and that was the focus of the thread.

• Jeep4life
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2018 08:03 #196048 by Jeep4life
i have some good news from protrack!
copy from their mail sent to me,

Our shop is new and we have not publish yet the gears for the automatic because we have not the appropriate photos for the product.
If you deside to procced an order, i can publish the product without photos.

Generally is the same with the other kits except the chain parts. Some dimensions and teeth is different.
The speedometer correction also included.

they going to make 3 variations
H= 1,41 L= 4,79
H= 1,52 L= 5.17
H= 1,63 L= 5,54!!

:) i think thats great news for our pushbutton jimnys.

the question is, if they include the chain parts with the kit.

More
18 Sep 2018 02:14 #196081 by zukebob
Well done. It's been about 9 months since I spoke to Michael at Protrak. At that time they were in the process of prototyping and testing gear sets specifically for the transfer cases from autos. If they do require a new chain, the upside is that it is a heavier one.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds