BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

*Crashed* Now passenger side wheel wobbles! :(

More
06 Jul 2018 21:47 #194068 by Darthblaker7474
Had a bit of a prang yesterday :unsure:

There was some superficial damage to the bumper, and my pan hard rod was bent severely.

After some TLC with a hammer and heat gun, the wagon was back together.

However my passenger side wheel (which was on the side I bumped) now wobbles whilst moving, making the car underivable.

Would anyone help me diagnose the problem please?, obviously I need a new pan hard rod, but I'm assuming there's another problem and I don't know quite what. I've swapped wheels over and the problem still occurs.

Hopefully I won't need to buy a refurbed axle :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jul 2018 05:32 #194075 by Lambert
It sounds like some part of the rotating assembly is damaged all of which are fairly simple to replace. Essentially everything that is carried by the wheel bearing. Your problem is that as it's taken enough impact to damage those components you're going to have to be absolutely certain that the rest of the axle is correct. That's not a simple matter for a home mechanic. Your best bet is to see if James Priestley of this parish has one available.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jul 2018 09:40 #194082 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic *Crashed* Now passenger side wheel wobbles! :(
Wonder if you have bent the wheel a bit?

More
07 Jul 2018 11:09 #194084 by mlines
Bet the arm or axle casing is bent, time to get a straight edge out and take a look

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
07 Jul 2018 11:19 #194086 by Keithy
Check for side to side play in the steering joints.

Jack the car up.

More
07 Jul 2018 11:31 #194088 by X8GGY
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationRegarding the bent panhard rod -

I've just bought a pair of these for my gold 'daily driver', they are standard length but much stronger and amazingly came with SuperPro bushes to go in them at that price! These are '4x4Outlet' brand, which surely we all know by now is actually JimnyBits!

More
08 Jul 2018 08:42 #194115 by Bosanek
Are you certain that the chassis rails did not bend?

I would definitely take the car to a workshop which is specialized in damaged vehicle bodywork repairs, or to a vehicle wheel geometry alignment workshop (or to both).

They should be able to take precise measurements and determine what is actually bent or out of alignment and what to do in order to remedy it.

More
08 Jul 2018 11:06 #194117 by sniper
I can understand you wanting to correct a minor prang but I think that you had best get some experienced eyes to look over the damage.

Check all bearings and rod ends, Look at steering arms, CV joint and the hub itself, brake disc and calliper, brake operation...........

Fairly involved list and I'm sure there could be more, get some expert advice at least.

The last thing you want is an axle snapping in half because you missed some damage......

sniper

More
08 Jul 2018 22:53 #194120 by Darthblaker7474
It was a low speed crash that impacted on the front passenger side of the bumper, between 10-20mph. The chassis seems fine to me, everything seems in check

I had a better inspection yesterday and the tie rod from the steering box seems to be leaking some sort of grease, and there is some leaking on the rear of the ball joint.

I'd rather get it right fixing it the first time, and I've seen that Cam Suzuki sell refurbed axles on ebay so I'm considering that as an option
(albeit a bit of a nuclear one :woohoo:).

I've also ordered two new pan hard rod bolts as one of those was knackered after removing it, hopefully that may make it somewhat drivable so I can get to a garage.

More
10 Jul 2018 08:48 #194159 by kirkynut
I would hold back on a new axle for the moment.

As Martin says, check the straightness of the radius arm. Get the new panhard on and replace the rod ends. Then see where you're at. The rod ends might be about to fall apart, which would cause wobble.

The wheel could be buckled too. You can check that with a coat hanger bent up to become a pointer positioned close to the jacked up wheel. When the wheel is spun you'll see the mis-shapen wheel as it moves closer to the pointer where it's buckled.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
10 Jul 2018 21:44 #194178 by Darthblaker7474
I'm considering getting a cheap Jimny just to use as a donor car, are all front axles the same regardless of transmission and model year?

I may also swap over to a good old fashioned manual transfer box whilst I'm at it.

More
10 Jul 2018 21:53 #194179 by j999pre
Early manual and auto axles have different diff ratios.
VVT axles are abs as are some later non abs axles so you need to make sure you get a comparable axle.

First I'd replace the leaking track rod end, get a new panhards, Jack the wobbly side up and check for play in kingpin bearings and wheel bearing. At the same time check the axle isn't bent but even if it was I wouldn't expect you to see wobble. That must be in a bearing or some other rotating component or track rod. Be methodical.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds