BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:isuzu 1.5td 4ec1 engine conversion

More
31 Oct 2018 23:01 #197221 by Jefferies
Also made a gearbox mount that I think I'm still going to have to modify, im struggling to align the gearbox and transfer box flanges properly. I'm planning on turning up a boss that will bolt to the gearbox output flange that has a hole in the centre that I can put a laser pen in to project the centre axis onto the transfer box flange.

Finished the mod to the steering column
Cleaned up the chassis where the new engine mount brackets will be welded

Shortened the gear linkage and support bracket on the R25 gearbox, was soo easy it was unbelievable

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Nov 2018 04:59 #197224 by Lambert
Making good progress there.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Nov 2018 17:47 #197340 by Jefferies
Made some more good progress on the weekend. I got the new brackets for the engine mounts fully welded onto the chassis, and I made both engine mount arms. Just waiting for some grove green paint to turn up so I can blend them in a bit and stop them rusting quite so fast.
Attachments:

More
11 Nov 2018 21:15 #197590 by Jefferies
Made an extension for the range lever due to the body lift
Attachments:

More
16 Nov 2018 19:00 #197704 by Jefferies
Ok so the engine mount brackets on the chassis are painted

And I've ditched the original gearbox mount I made in favour of a new simpler one. The original mount didn't take into account the fact that the engine and gearbox are not coplanar, there is an angular misalignment. Due to the fact that I have mounted the engine vertically the gearbox mount has to take up this angle which is why I made a new one. Just shot a bit of paint on it ready for fitting tomorrow
Attachments:

More
16 Nov 2018 19:08 #197705 by Jefferies
The gearstick mod has also been designed and some of the parts have been made. The idea is to have a nice long gearstick cranked backwards like a defender. I've designed it with a modified leverage ratio so that it'll essentially give me a short shift
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Nov 2018 04:26 #197735 by Lambert
It's fascinating to see how you are overcoming all these little things.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jefferies

More
18 Nov 2018 08:52 #197741 by Jefferies
Engine and gearbox are now sat on their own mounts. The engine has ended up slightly off centre towards the off side but only by a small amount. And not enough to be really annoying. If anything it gives me some more room on the near side for the refitting of the alternator and maybe the power steering pump.
Annoyingly I can't use the original mounting method as that used the bolt holes I have picked up on for the engine mount on that side. I may well stick the alternator up high where the ps pump should be and put an electric ps pump on. My daily driver has just let another gearbox go DUE to having a significant remap so after 8 years and 314000 miles I've retired her. It's a mk4 astra 1.7DTI so I think in time it's engine will find it's way into the jimny, along with the elec ps pump, front sports seats, clutch hydraulics.
Attachments:

More
18 Nov 2018 08:54 #197742 by Jefferies
Attachments:

More
18 Nov 2018 09:45 #197744 by Jefferies
Here's how i attempted to align the prop flanges. Not perfect but good enough.

There is a little bit of droop now the rubber in the moun5 is compressing but I can pack this out to the correct height

More
20 Nov 2018 17:55 #197858 by Jefferies
The new gearstick assembly is coming together nicely.

Note that two of the parts have been reused from the original omega gearstick. The fulcrum ball has been removed and had an M14 thread put through it, and the bush retainer for the lower clevis pin has been chopped off and welded to the new gear stick

More
20 Nov 2018 17:59 #197859 by Jefferies
This is how the throw of the gearstick is adjusted

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds