BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:isuzu 1.5td 4ec1 engine conversion

More
20 Sep 2018 16:32 #196159 by sniper
Crack on mate, never mind the nay sayers, you'll end up with a car that you want, that does what you want, the way that you want it to.... and you'll have built it. Hats off to you.....

sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2018 22:29 - 21 Sep 2018 04:41 #196166 by stimpy

Busta wrote:

stimpy wrote: Not looked into the specs if I'm honest but don't forget there is normally a shed load more torque from a TD - something a lot folk favour.

The 1.5td makes 67hp, 97lb/ft. A M16 makes 105hp and 106lb/ft.
I won't knock the fabrication skills and hard work it takes to do this sort of conversion, but a better choice of engine would make the conversion easier and the end result much more rewarding.

Hehe... Thanks for that.

I guess once the diesel pump is wound up it should make a bit more torque and still be significantly better on fuel...

Edit :

Just read the rest! Sounds very much like this is a good engine for the OP and no doubt something he had ideas on anyway.

Keep up the good work!

Personally I like both styles of engine for different reasons. I still giggle at how I used to drive my first sj410 - I think that thing was at red line the whole time off road!! hahaah... Funnily enough used boat loads of fuel for a 1 litre... But then I love diesel torque also - just so steady...

Hey ho...
Last edit: 21 Sep 2018 04:41 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

More
21 Sep 2018 15:04 #196179 by Jefferies
Spent some more time on the jimny today, made another of the chassis brackets to support the engine mounts and made both rear damper relocation brackets

Also made a bracket to relocate the brake pipe fitting. trial fitted my steering spacers too

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
21 Sep 2018 16:47 - 21 Sep 2018 16:48 #196187 by Riccy
Looking like some good progress there. The body lift looks a success B)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 21 Sep 2018 16:48 by Riccy.

More
24 Sep 2018 13:13 #196242 by Jefferies
Hit a bit of a stop on the Jimny over the weekend waiting for bits and bobs to turn up so decided to build a removable ramp for my trailer instead, just needs a bit more paint and some expanded steel mesh.

Attachments:

More
24 Sep 2018 15:19 #196246 by Jefferies
Just knocked up a quick spreadsheet to make a graphical comparison between old and new powertrains.
I've based it on the following numbers, please feel free to correct any as they have just been quickly sourced from google:

Vauxhall R25 Gearbox Gear ratios
1st 3.95
2nd 2.187
3rd 1.387
4th 1
5th 0.845

Suzuki Jimny Gearbox
1st 4.425
2nd 2.304
3rd 1.674
4th 1.19
5th 1

Transfer box high ratio 1.32

Final drive (2000 manual) 3.909

Rolling radius (205/70-15) 0.32m

The orange lines are gears 1 - 5 with the new setup and the blue lines are gears 1 - 5 on the standard setup. The astute among you will notice that my car doesn't have standard size tyres but i can't remember the size at the moment so i've based it on standard road tyres just to make the comparison.

Does anybody happen to have any rolling road data from a standard G13BB engine'd Jimny?
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Sep 2018 16:12 #196248 by Lambert
Err. I'd be quite surprised if an old Isuzu diesel would rev upto 5500 as you're suggesting.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Sep 2018 16:51 #196250 by Jefferies
I'm not intending to operate it here but that is real rolling road data so yes it will run there

More
27 Sep 2018 19:16 #196319 by Jefferies
Got my Jimnybits extended front bump stops and fitted the one I have access to at the moment
Attachments:

More
18 Oct 2018 08:38 - 18 Oct 2018 08:51 #196852 by Jefferies
I've ditched the spring spacers as they were utter rubbish, and I've invested in a set of 4" lift front springs from jimnybits. I've got the standard front springs on the rear for now. I attempted to take the rear bump stops off to space them out and they just tore to pieces so I've somehow gotta get the male threaded part out.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2018 08:51 by Jefferies.

More
18 Oct 2018 10:49 #196853 by mlines
Use a pipe wrench on the flats on the base of the bump stop

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
31 Oct 2018 22:50 #197220 by Jefferies
Modified my range lever to cope with the body lift by cutting it about 3/4 of the way through, bending it and then welding up the cut, just needs an extension now to bring it to a decent height.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds