BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:isuzu 1.5td 4ec1 engine conversion

More
19 Jun 2018 21:32 #193644 by Jefferies
Hi guys,

Just starting an engine conversion with an Isuzu 1.5TD engine and a GM R25-28 gearbox. I'll keep a log of progress on this thread. Any help/advice from anyone who has already done it would be really useful.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2018 17:03 #193672 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic isuzu 1.5td 4ec1 engine conversion
How do the torque and power specs compare to the Jimny?

Gearbox ratios?

I'm also thinking of this conversion so will follow your progress. Good luck!

More
11 Sep 2018 20:40 #195906 by Jefferies
Hey guys, bit of progress to report. I've finally realised that it is not feasible to fit the 1.5td isuzu into a jimny without lifting the suspension as a minimum. Even with a chopped sump the engine fouls on both the axle and the bonnet. Therefore I've decided to do a 2" suspension lift and a 2" body lift.

I've started making some aluminium spacers and I'm waiting for Jimnybits to get some more sleeve bolts in stock for the body lift.

I've bought some spring spacers and I'll make the damper relocation brackets after.

I modified the original sump on the isuzu engine just for mock up purposes as it was rusted through, this was in order to clear the tubular chassis cross member. Even with the mod i couldnt get the engine sat in the right place so i cut out the cross member and ill replace it with something else when the engine is in place. Fortunately I managed to buy a brand new sump for about £26 online.

More
16 Sep 2018 19:36 #196030 by Jefferies
Started the body lift today, I've only got it sat on the front and rear spacers at the moment and not the 4 in the middle. Still waiting for Jimnybits to get the sleeve bolts back in stock.
Attachments:

More
19 Sep 2018 19:51 #196130 by Jefferies
Made the first new engine mount support bracket that will be welded to the chassis today.
Attachments:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2018 20:36 #196134 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic isuzu 1.5td 4ec1 engine conversion

Venter wrote: How do the torque and power specs compare to the Jimny?

Gearbox ratios?

It's a turbo diesel, so a little room for more boost/power. But it's an old heavy lump. A 1.6 G16B/M16a conversion makes more sense and so much easier and cheaper to do. about 20 bhp more than the 1.5 TD, probably only half the weight of and old tired diesel and revs much better. But of course not as fuel efficient.

More
19 Sep 2018 21:39 #196135 by stimpy

TomDK wrote:

Gearbox ratios?

It's a turbo diesel, so a little room for more boost/power. But it's an old heavy lump. A 1.6 G16B/M16a conversion makes more sense and so much easier and cheaper to do. about 20 bhp more than the 1.5 TD, probably only half the weight of and old tired diesel and revs much better. But of course not as fuel efficient.

Haha, I see you're still a ray of sunshine :-)... Looking at the pictures this chap has already started his conversion so has made the plunge already...

Not looked into the specs if I'm honest but don't forget there is normally a shed load more torque from a TD - something a lot folk favour. Also a lot easier to go wading/ swimming with and sort if you do flood it....

Looks like he's doing a grand job. Keep up the good work.

More
19 Sep 2018 22:02 #196138 by Jefferies
Hi guys, the reason I'm doing the conversion is that I had a jimny previously and couldn't stand the petrol engine's lack of torque and its rubbish fuel economy. I wanted a cheap diesel 4x4 that I can modify and thrash round off road without worrying about it.

Picked this jimny up cheap a few years ago but haven't had a decent place to work on it until recently. I was quite surprised at how few people seem to have done the same conversion, until I realised that the engine won't fit without lifting the body and/suspension. Doesn't bother me because I wanted to do this anyway and it's pretty cheap.

Any input from others doing diesel conversions will be much appreciated , always interested in other people's ideas.

More
19 Sep 2018 22:59 #196141 by Busta

stimpy wrote: Not looked into the specs if I'm honest but don't forget there is normally a shed load more torque from a TD - something a lot folk favour.

The 1.5td makes 67hp, 97lb/ft. A M16 makes 105hp and 106lb/ft.
I won't knock the fabrication skills and hard work it takes to do this sort of conversion, but a better choice of engine would make the conversion easier and the end result much more rewarding.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Sep 2018 06:46 - 20 Sep 2018 06:48 #196145 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic isuzu 1.5td 4ec1 engine conversion

stimpy wrote:

TomDK wrote:

Gearbox ratios?

Haha, I see you're still a ray of sunshine :-)... Looking at the pictures this chap has already started his conversion so has made the plunge already...

Not looked into the specs if I'm honest but don't forget there is normally a shed load more torque from a TD - something a lot folk favour. Also a lot easier to go wading/ swimming with and sort if you do flood it....

Looks like he's doing a grand job. Keep up the good work.

I am actually :)
It's nothing to do with bashing what Jefferies is doing. He seems to know what he's doing. I'm just stating the fact, that these old diesels are not exactly performance engines. But you're right, They're excellent for driving in deep water and such.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2018 06:48 by TomDK.

More
20 Sep 2018 07:52 #196146 by Jefferies
Some of you guys seem to be missing the point.

If your preference is for a relatively low torque petrol engine that you are happy to rev quite a bit then that's fine..... but my preference is for a small enough diesel that will fit the Jimny's tiny engine bay, and one old/simple enough that it actually makes fitting much easier than an ECU controlled more modern diesel. I don't want a "performance engine", and in my opinion there isn't a "better choice" as this conversion is pretty straight forward and it will give me what i want at the end. Comparing two very different engines on max power/torque figures alone is a complete waste of time as it says nothing about the unique power delivery characteristics of each.

More
20 Sep 2018 15:42 #196157 by Busta
But the engine you chose doesn't fit in the engine bay without other modifications to make room for it. I'm pretty sure a Peugeot XUD does. The Isuzu 1.7td and the VAG 1.9pd have also both been successfully fitted to Jimnys. Those are all readily available, cheap and more powerful yet would require the same amount or less work than your are having to do to make your Jimny slower. Just saying you could have made life easier for yourself with a bit of research.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds