BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:isuzu 1.5td 4ec1 engine conversion

More
23 Jan 2020 12:34 - 23 Jan 2020 12:57 #217593 by Jefferies
Just found an old thread on a subject that i've been thinking about for a while........converting to permanent 4wd. What seems to be an obvious choice would be the landrover LT230 transfer case. I'd be interested to know if anybody else has done/attempted this or even just done any investigating into the possibility.

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=topic&catid=6&id=62480
Last edit: 23 Jan 2020 12:57 by Jefferies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2020 22:23 #217692 by stimpy
Glad to see you are still on it!! Closer than you've ever been!

More
04 Feb 2020 16:35 #218046 by Jefferies
I'd like to fit a bigger battery for obvious reasons and i've seen various people claiming that a bigger battery will physically fit on the standard jimny battery tray but can anybody prove it with a picture? I don't like the idea of a battery in the back as there is nowhere 'out of the way' to put it, so i'd like to keep it under the bonnet if poss.

More
06 Jun 2020 16:15 #223317 by Jefferies
The engine is in and running!!!

photos.app.goo.gl/yzEcGZGHKJLxqYAJA

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jun 2020 16:47 #223319 by Lambert
Excellent news. So what is it like to drive, bet it feels unstoppable?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Jun 2020 07:23 #223330 by Jefferies
Ah, i never actually said it was driveable lol

I've just got the clutch hydraulics to bleed up and give the brakes an overhaul then should be good to go..........to an MOT and find out all the things that are wrong with it! One of them being king pins and rust in the rear of the body

• Lambert
    Registered
More
07 Jun 2020 08:50 #223337 by Lambert
Ah, a work in progress. Good luck with the mot!

More
08 Jun 2020 09:17 #223370 by Jefferies
I actually did manage to drive it around my place yesterday, felt great! The gearing has turned out spot on. Only issue at the moment is the clutch is dragging when pressed down fully, which got me very worried that my CSC spacer wasn't the right thickness and that i might have to take the engine out.....AGAIN!. Thanks to Autodoc tho i managed to work out that the Astra clutch master cylinder i've used is a lot smaller than the Omega one that would have matched the slave cylinder i'm using (the Omega one has a 44% larger piston area). Therefore if i convert the master cylinder to one with a 19mm bore it should hopefully cure the problem

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Jun 2020 11:48 #223371 by Lambert
I have heard of similar problems when people fit big brakes but don't match them with the master cylinder.

More
08 Jun 2020 16:24 #223376 by Busta
Have you thought any further about the permanent 4wd idea? I was thinking about this recently and decided that a viscous coupling on the front prop would be the way to go. You're looking at around £500 for a reconditioned Freelander viscous coupling, then it's a case of making some brackets to mount it forward of the transfer case and getting the front prop shortened accordingly. But much less work than a full transfer swap.

More
11 Jun 2020 19:41 #223509 by Jefferies
I haven't but i like the idea of the viscous coupling. I took one of my front hub covers off the other day as i was always under the impression that the vacuum system was required not only to engage the hubs but also to keep them engaged. To my amazement i found that this isn't the case, and the vacuum is only there for the initial engagement/disengagement. So as far as i can tell if the hubs are in the locked position they will stay there (as i've removed the vacuum system).

More
11 Jun 2020 19:51 #223511 by mlines

Jefferies wrote: I haven't but i like the idea of the viscous coupling. I took one of my front hub covers off the other day as i was always under the impression that the vacuum system was required not only to engage the hubs but also to keep them engaged. To my amazement i found that this isn't the case, and the vacuum is only there for the initial engagement/disengagement. So as far as i can tell if the hubs are in the locked position they will stay there (as i've removed the vacuum system).

They are held by magnetism. The vacuum is just used to move them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds