BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Led light bars (do they last ) and best route for cables from roof.

More
30 May 2018 19:07 - 30 May 2018 19:21 #193067 by Scimike
I have a space on my roof rack for a LED roof bar or spotlights and have seen some fitted on this forum. Guardian Angel fitted a 126W light bar, plenty on ebay for around £30....but is it still working?

Anyone else got one and can offer any feedback on if they work for more than a few weeks.
An alternative I am considering is LED daylight running lights mounted high.

I am not that concerned about if they illuminate the way ahead well, my interest is focused on if they last, my own experience of LED bulds is they are c#$p, working only for a few months before slowly failing.

A second question on how are people running the cable from such a light into the vehicle without compromising watertight ?

Thanks

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 30 May 2018 19:21 by Scimike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2018 17:02 #193099 by rappey
Led,s can last a very long time, but you pay for that ! There are many led spot and floodlights that are very cheap but heat kills them off..
I run some super bright leds in my boat but have them restricted in output which will prolong their life (I hope)

ie, 12v downlighter for a boat, from china = £3 From a yacht chandlers =£45 .You get what you pay for !

Boats have water tight fittings to allow cables into the boat so have a look at whats available?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
31 May 2018 17:39 #193102 by Riccy
I agree that the quality of whats available is really poor Chinese tat.

I used to have a 32" curved led bar on the roof-rack. It was on there for about 3 months and had already started to shed its powder coat with alu rot (aluminium rust?). The lens had also fogged so IP rating is not as stated.

Then a pikey helped themselves to it one night. Didnt get the brackets as i binned them and made my own :-) However they are a theft target so its not been replaced.

The light output from it was pretty good for off-road and way too much to use on the road, so a compromise between ultimate output and actual quality is needed.

For running the wire, i binned off the aerial and ran it in there. its also fairly easy to run a wire up a snorkel. Have since replaced the aerial and binned the roof rack :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2018 21:41 - 31 May 2018 21:44 #193106 by Daniel30
Got to say I think it's the luck of the draw with the Chinese stuff can't remember where I got mine from but thet were cheap, still look good as new and work great, regularly blasted with the jet hose and no problems so far, I ran my wire down the snorkel in some ribbed tubing and cut a slot in the plastic just behind the bonnet.

Can't attach a pic for some reason :(
Last edit: 31 May 2018 21:44 by Daniel30. Reason: Spell

• mdog18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2018 10:20 #193118 by mdog18
I fitted my LED light bar about 2/3 weeks ago. Bit soon to start analysing long term quality but so far I can say it has worked brilliantly, with no signs of failure. I went the aerial wiring route as I have no snorkel, but either way works :)

More
02 Jun 2018 08:15 #193145 by 1390_taz
I have four 6" LED lights fitted to a roof bar. The cable is in split spiral conduit running past the aerial and down the snorkel.
Into the engine bay
Attachments:

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2018 19:23 #193177 by 1066Boy
I have a cheapo one on mine and it still looks like new after approximately 2 years. :)

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds