BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Transfer Case issues

• PatrickWojcik
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2018 12:32 #190447 by PatrickWojcik
Transfer Case issues was created by PatrickWojcik
Hi Guys,
I decided to take the Jimny out through some scrub outside of town when at some point the going got tough and the 4WD function was needed. The 4WD function activated but didn't wan't to return to 2WD as the front 4WD switch cable (one of the two red cables) had been torn out at some point. Re-attaching the cable locked the hubs but the transfer case was stuck in 4WD. Given that the hubs unlocked with the wire dangling freely, I was able to drive home. Once at home, I tried to unwind the transfer case by driving it whilst hoisted without load to no avail.

Now this is the second time that I had issues with the transfer case so I decided to replace it with a second-hand case. I put the new transfer case in on the weekend but it still does not want to engage 4WD. When idling, I can hear what appears to be the transfer case making an attempt to move a rod, followed by one flicker of the green 4WD light, followed by another similar sound from underneath the car with what appears to be a rod returning to the previous position. What's strange is that the front hubs aren't locking at the same time but were doing so when I had the car hoisted trying to unwind the old transfer case.

The old transfer case was stuck in 4WD prior to replacement, and the second-hand case was in 2WD when put in. I am not sure if this caused the problem. To top it off, the battery died days after this problem, so what effect that had I don't know. I will appreciate any advice in regards to this situation.
Cheers, Patrick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Mar 2018 13:24 #190448 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Transfer Case issues
This is a push button box? Are you fully depressing the clutch when attempting to engage drive when the wheels are suspended?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• PatrickWojcik
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2018 13:36 #190449 by PatrickWojcik
Replied by PatrickWojcik on topic Transfer Case issues
Hi Lambert,

Thanks for the reply.
It's a push button box, 2007 Jimny. I did try the clutch fully depressed when the wheels were suspended as well as in gear with the initial transfer box, in 1st and then in reverse without luck. But I haven't tried to suspend the Jimny with the new transfer case installed in it now.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds