BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

is the jimny being replaced or updated

More
23 Mar 2018 11:08 - 23 Mar 2018 11:09 #190785 by yakuza

zukebob wrote: I think the made in India issue is a lot like the made in China issue. They may not be the same as a Suzuki made in Japan but the quality will be driven by what Suzuki demands.

India and China and many other so called low-cost countries have had a rise in the living standards and therefore also the wages. Many European companies that used to have production in former eastern European countries moved their production to Asia as the wages grew all over Europe.
However many companies see that the increased cost of servicing, production errors, not meeting deadlines and so on often eat up the direct production cost savings.
Also in Japan we can observe this and more and more companies choose to not move production to so called low cost countries.
We see more production in Europe (or rather less out-sourcing) as well due to more robots and more precise production and smarter production.

The spy images of the Jimny is from a Japanese production facility. It could be a just test but i think that the new Jimny is so similar to the old one that it will be produced in the same factory. Same kind of chassis, axles and body.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki#Production_Facilities

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2018 11:09 by yakuza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2018 18:23 #190794 by Rhinoman

zukebob wrote: I think the made in India issue is a lot like the made in China issue. They may not be the same as a Suzuki made in Japan but the quality will be driven by what Suzuki demands.

Exactly. However the biggest reason for making it there is that that is likely to be, by far, the biggest market for them.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
23 Mar 2018 22:38 #190800 by facade

petejones69 wrote: Seen this?

www.india.com/auto/car-news/suzuki-jimny...-need-to-know-37725/

6.5 lakh is £7,076.16 put my name down for one B)

What's the betting a 1 will mysteriously appear in front of the first 7 by the time it gets here :(

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
24 Mar 2018 00:41 #190804 by zukebob
Yakuza:
Completely agree with what you say. The automotive industry is extremely mercenary and profit is their number one goal. What that translates to in business decisions depends on how they determine the most profit can be made. A good example of that would be Toyota in the U.S. When I left the U.S. in 2011, only 3 or 4 of all the models Toyota sold were actually imported from Japan. The rest were all made in Toyota's U.S. factories. While the U.S. would never be considered a low labor cost area, the improved production methods you mention, along with defeating some tariff issues made that the best business choice....albeit at the cost of some jobs in Japan. But then again, they don't care about that.

The only point I was making was quality of manufacture. IF they do MOST of their production in India (I also believe some will be made in Japan) I would stand by my comment that the quality will be determined by Suzuki. As Martin mentioned, Maruti is well established. I am familiar with their vehicles here in the Philippines and they are well made. They certainly aren't like Yugos (don't anyone from Croatia on the forum get their panties in a twist.....my family is from Croatia too but Yugos were junk) and I wouldn't hesitate buying an Indian made 4th gen JImny if they ever get here.

Or Lambert may be right and the new model Jimny is a hoax.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Mraz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2018 12:26 #190811 by Mraz
Well... Yugo was mede in Kragujevac, Serbia so no panty twisting here. And they really were junk.

More
24 Mar 2018 15:01 #190814 by facade
About the only car I can think of that would be worse than my Renault Nee-San :laugh:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds