BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Just bought my Jimny ......

More
04 Mar 2018 17:42 #189927 by kfrogzx7
Hello all,

I've just put a deposit on a 65 plate vgc metallic light titanium coloured SZ3 with only 7k on the clock and will be picking it up next Saturday !!

I've had various Defenders in the past and on the test drive I was amazed that the Jimny felt a bit similar, ie a proper tough 4wd worker. It felt far more substantial and "serious" than it's size and image might suggest.

I liked it so much straight away that I nearly didn't haggle !! Anyway I got it for £10k from a dealer so I wonder whether that's a fair price ?
Actually I don't much care whether it's fair because I'm sure that I'm not going to regret it anyway.

I'm already planning several things for it and any advice on any of them would be welcome please ?
First ... rear seats will come out, it's going to be a working farm / dog vehicle and I specifically don't want to carry passengers, any tips on the best way to end up with a level load space ?
Second ... a towbar, are there any designs / suppliers that are better than others, and which restrict ground clearance least ?
Third and forth I don't need advice on I think, a Suzuki genuine dog guard and some oe size General Grabber tyres.

I've already used this forum a lot in my buying research, so thanks for all that, and I will certainly be using it in the future.

Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2018 18:35 #189929 by jackonlyjack
Hi and welcome
Load space use sheet of ply do a search on here
Tyres you could go up a size with no issues 205/75/15
You will gain a very little amount of ground clearance under diff
Original dog guards are expensive and hard to come by second hand no idea how much new
I don't have a towbar but i am sure someone will advise

Jack

More
04 Mar 2018 19:03 #189932 by kfrogzx7
Thanks Jack,
I've seen new oe dog guards on ebay for £240,very expensive but they do look so much better than flimsy universal ones. I think I'll take the plunge at that price because they also look as thought they are sturdy enough to isolate any item being carried in the back from falling forwards.
Good news re tyre size too, thanks.

More
04 Mar 2018 19:09 #189933 by jackonlyjack
Just check that the rear seats have nothing to do with the dog guard mountings ;)

More
04 Mar 2018 19:38 #189937 by kfrogzx7
From what I can see the dog guard mounts on the overhead grab handle points and either the back seat pivot points or the rear seat belt anchor points ( there's a metal bar that comes forward to the guard itself behind the front seat backs ), so whether the seats are actually there or not doesn't matter I reckon.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Mar 2018 05:09 #189948 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Just bought my Jimny ......
I use Ermintrude as the main farm work truck and after 7 years still amazed every day. One thing against the dog guard is it stops through loading of longer items. Using the passengers foot well it's easy to get 8ft lengths of timber inside. I have a lifting eye bolted into the rear top seatbelt mounting that I clip the dog's harness to.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds