BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny auto advice needed

• Valleys rambler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2018 22:31 #189368 by Valleys rambler
Jimny auto advice needed was created by Valleys rambler
Hello peeps new to the group but not new to the jimny world but a blind to the jimny auto world lol so here goes if I decide to go off road do I leave the auto box in drive or do I use the 1st or 2nd gear in the auto box when switching to 4wh or 4wl because it doesn't really feel and different in drive when using 4w high or 4w low any help be great

Gee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2018 23:33 - 16 Feb 2018 23:34 #189376 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Jimny auto advice needed
Personally I would use the holding gears if near any inclines or descents for engine braking coming down but otherwise enjoy the auto box.

Surely the revs are higher in low box? I don't know as I've not used an auto 4wd. You must be able to crawl slower in low box?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 16 Feb 2018 23:34 by kirkynut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valleys rambler

• Valleys rambler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2018 23:54 #189381 by Valleys rambler
Replied by Valleys rambler on topic Jimny auto advice needed
Cheers mate when I had a manual jimny I would always feel the difference when using 4w high or low but doesn't seem to different in the auto. Selects 4x4 h and l ok was wondering if I should notice when I change

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Feb 2018 05:43 #189385 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny auto advice needed
Zebedee is automatic and on the odd occasion of playing with the transfer box low does let him creep really slowly going up some quite steep inclines but like you say on the flat it's not really that noticeable. Like Kirkynut said for inclines lock into the hold gears but for just toddling about D is fine.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Valleys rambler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2018 20:59 #189402 by Valleys rambler
Well my suspicions are confirmed people's, the 4x4 is not engaging at all, but im getting the dashboard lights saying its in 4x4 mode but no engagement, runs and drives sweet no noises no change when 4x4 selected, the 2nd and low wotk on auto box fine so my questions revolve around where I should look first etc any help be great 02 1.3 auto

More
17 Feb 2018 23:28 #189406 by kirkynut
So is it going into Low but not with 4wd? I.e. is the transfer box going into Low but the front hubs are not engaging?

If you have the push button 4wd system from about 2005 on I'd suggest checking the wires are attached to the transfer box solenoids ok. I've not seen these electronic boxes to know any further as mine has always had a good old fashioned lever.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Valleys rambler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2018 00:15 #189409 by Valleys rambler
2002 model it goes into low on the auto box but not the 4x4 box. The light comes on when I select 4w but 4w is not engaging at all what electrics do I check any diagrams about in here fella

• Valleys rambler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2018 00:16 #189410 by Valleys rambler
Hubs are not engaging at all I been reading about vacuums etc

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Feb 2018 06:34 #189411 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny auto advice needed
You have 2 options then. One replace the vacuum lines either with a solid pipe or a flexible silicone , clean and regrease the existing hubs. Second abandon the vacuum system and either permanently set the existing hubs in drive or purchase some manual hubs . There's as many opinions on which is best as there are owner's of Jimny. I have manual hubs because I believe that the compromise of having to get out of the car to set them is offset by the reliability of a purely mechanical system. Others disagree.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Valleys rambler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2018 09:23 #189419 by Valleys rambler
2nd option sounds best fella how expensive is it to replace with manual hubs

More
18 Feb 2018 13:23 #189430 by kirkynut
Cheapest: www.jimnybits.com/jimny/drivetrain/jimny-free-wheel-hubs.html

Better quality: www.jimnybits.com/jimny/drivetrain/jimny...free-wheel-hubs.html

If you have standard sized tyres I'd imagine that the cheaper ones are fine.

I'd still expect the revs to be higher in low range regardless of whether the hubs are engaging or not but I have no experience with auto Jimnys.

I wouldn't waste time trying to resolve auto hub issues, there's too many to mess about with!

Kirkynut

More
18 Feb 2018 13:28 #189431 by jackonlyjack
Member j999pre can get new manual hubs around the £100 delivered ;)

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds