BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tow bar wiring

• Clint68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2018 11:24 #187963 by Clint68
Tow bar wiring was created by Clint68
Thinking of installing a tow bar to the Jimny but unsure if it needs a can bus relay or not. I’ve heard different stories of splicing straight into the wiring, using the can bus relay or buying the dedicated wiring harness. I would of preferred fitting can bus relay with audible bleeper but unsure if there is a permanent live feed in the boot. To run a live feed from the battery in the front to the boot seems a bit of a pain. What has everyone else done on here when wiring their 7 pin socket?
Thanks

Clint

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2018 12:51 #187966 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Tow bar wiring
I might be wrong, but I don't think even the newest Jimny's use canbus? Just plain old wires to each and every bulb.

• Clint68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2018 17:31 #187970 by Clint68
Replied by Clint68 on topic Tow bar wiring
Will have a look at the back of the light cluster to identify wiring type and wire as you suggest but with indicator buzzer installed. If bulb errors or electrical faults appear, then I shall install a can bus relay as per installation on some tow bar providers.
Thanks

More
02 Jan 2018 18:08 #187972 by Busta
A quick look in the handbook will tell you if you have any sort of bulb fault detection. What year is your Jimny?

• Clint68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2018 20:31 #187978 by Clint68
Hi Busta, it’s a 57 plate. Been looking on various web sites that supply tow bars, some say a bypass relay is required and some don’t. I can’t see a bypass relay doing any harm if it’s not reguired as the permanent live will supply the trailer lights when the relay is signalled to do so. Ringing PF Jones tomorrow as they fit, supply diy kits and give fitting advice. Had the same problem on my Volvo and just went with the can bus relay and everything is perfect.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jan 2018 04:19 #187985 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Tow bar wiring
A 57 is simple wires, no canbus.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clint68

More
03 Jan 2018 06:29 #187987 by fozzie
Replied by fozzie on topic Tow bar wiring
Hi Clint68,

I had an 07 Jimny and wired in my tow bar easily to the original wires via a buzzer unit that came with the kit. I didn't use the Scotch Locks that came with it, but soldered the wires into the loom behind the rear nearside panel, which is where the buzzer unit was also installed. I then covered the joints with heat shrink insulation.

I'm now in a similar dilemma to you, as I have a 12 plate Jimny and have recently fitted a tow bar to that. I haven't wired it in yet, as the weather isn't being very kind at the moment. However, the relay/buzzer unit supplied with the kit requires a permanent live which I am reluctant to find. I'm even thinking of finding a professional tow bar installer and ask them to wire it in.

It used to be so simple before!

2012 Jimny Black. Totally standard (except for rear seat removal mod).

More
03 Jan 2018 08:22 #187996 by Busta

fozzie wrote: Hi Clint68,

I'm now in a similar dilemma to you, as I have a 12 plate Jimny and have recently fitted a tow bar to that. I haven't wired it in yet, as the weather isn't being very kind at the moment. However, the relay/buzzer unit supplied with the kit requires a permanent live which I am reluctant to find. I'm even thinking of finding a professional tow bar installer and ask them to wire it in.

It used to be so simple before!

I would use the tail light feed as the permanent live. That way you can test everything works by turning your sidelights on and operating the indicators, and in normal driving you have a choice of lights off and no buzzer or lights on and a buzzer. Or buy a buzzer that doesn't need a permanent live. They are only a few £.

• Clint68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2018 10:28 #188002 by Clint68
Hi Fozzie, I used the same method as you on my Volvo with the wiring but instead of soldering in the buzzer, I soldered in a can bus relay to the wiring with built in buzzer. I was lucky that the Volvo has a 40 amp dedicated tow bar live feed sitting next to the r/o/s light cluster which feeds the permanent live on the relay. You would have to take a 20 amp feed from your fuse box and run it the length of your car to the boot. The relay should have two separate 10 amp feeds that link into your 20 amp feed. Did you settle for a flange type ball on your Jimny or the extended swan neck to enable the ball to clear the spare wheel on the back door?

More
03 Jan 2018 13:43 #188005 by fozzie
Replied by fozzie on topic Tow bar wiring
I bought the removable extended swan neck type from Amazon. It's the same as the one I put on the 07 Jimny. I fitted the tow bar in about an hour at the latter part of last year, I just looked at the new buzzer wiring and thought "sod it ! That's changed".

I did look quickly on line to see if I could buy another buzzer/relay as before that didn't need the permanent live, but I couldn't find one. Therefore I will have to stop being so lazy and run the live feed from somewhere under the bonnet.

I'm an Electrical Power Tech by trade and I hate wiring anything once I get home!

2012 Jimny Black. Totally standard (except for rear seat removal mod).

• Barry
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2018 11:04 #188063 by Barry
Replied by Barry on topic Tow bar wiring
Wait, what? I've had my towbar (from Towbars-UK) delivered, and I fitted it (with some degree of difficulty). However, I've yet to wire it in. The wiring diagram that comes with it simply says to connect the seven wires to the seven wires already there (with an audible relay supplied). There's nothing said about a permanent live.

• Clint68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2018 11:38 #188064 by Clint68
Hi Barry, the permanent live is only when fitting a can bus relay as I had to do on my Volvo as it uses can bus wiring. I could of wired it without the relay but then it would drive the ECU mental with bulb failure notifications on the dash. From what I understand, the Jimny don’t use can bus wiring so your ok.

By the way, what type of tow bar did you get?

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds