BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2018 08:53 #197973 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
To be fair, order books have only just opened and we currently have no idea how many people have put their money where their mouth is. There have, however, been roughly 5,000 expressions of interest, which of course is another thing entirely.

My own feeling is that many of these people will be drawn into a showroom by the design, but when confronted with the reality of what is really still a Kei car, that enthusiasm stands less of a chance of translating into an order.

Anyway, some of my colleagues in the first journo group are driving around frosty Northamptonshire as we speak, and I'll be there this afternoon and tomorrow. I'll try and post a few pics to Twitter if anyone's interested, and will do my best to get answers to as many of people's questions as I can.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2018 13:37 #197991 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

auchenblae wrote: The rush of orders is just nonsence from people mostly buying on looks only because it looks "cute".

A large number of these early buyers will regret the lack of sophistication that a basic car designed for offroad use to a great extend will be years behind their upmarket road cars they trade in.

Those PCPing the cars will be forced to keep it for three years or so as their monthly payments on all sorts of items like Sky TV and £80 a month iPhone etc., do not allow then to do much more than that.

Wow, you're a little ray of sunshine aren't you? :dry:

Are we going to be plagued by grumpy old men muttering "I liked Jimnys before they were fashionable you know!" I hope not, because a) that would be really tiresome and b) we don't care.
The following user(s) said Thank You: furo, Bill Portland

More
22 Nov 2018 14:23 #197997 by Max Headroom
heheh :laugh: :laugh: :side:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Nov 2018 15:16 - 22 Nov 2018 15:16 #198002 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

Gadget wrote:

auchenblae wrote: The rush of orders is just nonsence from people mostly buying on looks only because it looks "cute".

A large number of these early buyers will regret the lack of sophistication that a basic car designed for offroad use to a great extend will be years behind their upmarket road cars they trade in.

Those PCPing the cars will be forced to keep it for three years or so as their monthly payments on all sorts of items like Sky TV and £80 a month iPhone etc., do not allow then to do much more than that.

Wow, you're a little ray of sunshine aren't you? :dry:

Are we going to be plagued by grumpy old men muttering "I liked Jimnys before they were fashionable you know!" I hope not, because a) that would be really tiresome and b) we don't care.

An just like you, he's entitled to his opinion and the freedom to express it without being vilified or ridiculed.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 22 Nov 2018 15:16 by Lambert.

More
22 Nov 2018 20:06 #198025 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Its going to be interesting to hear what Alex was told as a Journo compare to what the Dealers were told at the same event :ohmy: :ohmy:

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2018 23:50 #198030 by AlexK
Quick update: been told Suzuki GB have actually had 11,000 expressions of interest via the website so far.

Dealers will have one demo unit, and will be expected to run it for longer than normal so more customers can get their cars.

In the first half of 2019, only 600 units will be available. Going to be some disappointed punters out there!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Nov 2018 05:03 #198032 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
600 cars! Wow. That's either a master stroke of marketing or someone has seriously dropped the ball. Best of luck Suzuki.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 Nov 2018 05:41 #198033 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
So they told the Journalists the same as the dealers. 600 cars is approx 1 car per dealer per month. Lots of concern that lack of availability and long wait times will taint the brand so told to not encourage waiting lists.

So few available that some of the launch day test drives were in.......vitaras!

1.5 engine will have limited life, going to be quite quickly replaced.

No brochures, accessories guides or any handouts available

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
23 Nov 2018 06:20 - 23 Nov 2018 06:21 #198034 by reedx
Replied by reedx on topic Re:New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

mlines wrote: So they told the Journalists the same as the dealers. 600 cars is approx 1 car per dealer per month.

@AlexK said the 600 would be available in the first half of 2019, which correlates with the 1100 total available for the whole year as mentioned previously.

Isn't there a 3 year waiting list for the new model in Japan already?

Colin
Last edit: 23 Nov 2018 06:21 by reedx.

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Nov 2018 06:29 #198035 by AlexK
It’s a joint Jimny/2019 Vitara launch, actually quite a few Jimnys here.

No plans to replace 1.5.

More
23 Nov 2018 06:38 #198037 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

No plans to replace 1.5

They didnt tell everyone the same story then

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

More
23 Nov 2018 08:03 #198038 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Re:New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Would be odd to replace the 1.5 quickly if it's a newly developed engine? I can't see them wasting all that R&D.

1 car per dealer per month, gah! Think I'm 7th on my dealer's list, so possibly July unless others drop out having seen the prices.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds