BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

More
21 Nov 2018 08:43 #197886 by facade
Replied by facade on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

furo wrote: That's a shame about the colours, I was really hoping for an SZ4 in Jungle Green. White could be good though, might look like a little UN truck.

White is a very forgiving colour, hides scratches and dents well, but it sticks out in a field somewhat, and is so common and chavvy, especially with gangsta windows. I don't think I could face having one on the drive :whistle: Grey or green for me. B)

I suppose you could always get it covered with fablon in matt grey or green ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2018 10:10 #197897 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Jungle Green is the only colour I like in the present line up and that looks like its not coming to the UK?? As mentioned I hope the corrosion/paint control is better on this one. I have bought 4 Jimnys from new and I was always surprised that the paint finish was poor behind the front grill, it wasn't unusual to see rust stains appearing in the first year..

More
21 Nov 2018 10:15 - 21 Nov 2018 10:21 #197898 by furo
Replied by furo on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Foxtrot - That email did say those colours are what would be available at the launch - hopefully that means they might release other colours later? Jungle Green is my favourite by a long way.

Facade - I see what you mean about white looking chavvy. It seems a popular colour in hot countries, loads of Australian 4x4s are white, but wouldn't look so good in grey muddy Scotland.

And yeah - I think my first move will be professional rustproofing, even if they have improved their factory protection.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Last edit: 21 Nov 2018 10:21 by furo.

More
21 Nov 2018 10:36 #197900 by facade
Replied by facade on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

furo wrote:
Facade - I see what you mean about white looking chavvy. It seems a popular colour in hot countries, loads of Australian 4x4s are white, but wouldn't look so good in grey muddy Scotland.

Just look at the sort of people driving, and the type of car that is common in brilliant white with gangsta windows ;)
You shouldn't judge a book by its cover and all that, but on the other hand, if you are wearing a uniform, people expect you to be in in the Army...

Landrover and Toyota always used to do that light stone/ivory colour for hot counties, I guess the reflection off brilliant white would scare away animals, poachers etc.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
21 Nov 2018 13:00 #197913 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

More
21 Nov 2018 17:58 - 21 Nov 2018 21:20 #197932 by Max Headroom
I owned a white car for 20 years (I got it back last year!) and I agree with Facade's comment about it being a "forgiving colour".
I would wash that car every week - my RAF colleagues thought I was nuts because they thought the car didn't look dirty - only looking at it closely would reveal that in fact it was dirty!

I'm no yet in the market for the new Jimny - and probably wont be unless they have made a convertiblle variant, but from the current colours discussed here would choose the green or the white.

A friend with a black vintage car regrets the colour - says it always shows dirt in winter, and always shows dust in summer - its a losing battle.

From knowledge gained on the DETAILING WORLD WEBSITE dark colours are relatively easy to get a deep shine into, but silver and white are the worst colours to make look shiny. This can be partially overcome by polishing the paint followed by using a decent 'wet look' wax such as 'Colinite 845 Insulation wax'

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 21 Nov 2018 21:20 by Max Headroom.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Nov 2018 18:41 #197941 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Having a black car, it's easy to make it look good from afar but on inspection it's far from good.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Nov 2018 21:23 #197961 by Max Headroom
I like black cars... but I just couldnt live with one,

Henry ford once said "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants, so long as it is black."

Dark colours look shinier :side:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
21 Nov 2018 22:21 #197962 by auchenblae
Few comments on recent questions.

On purchasing a new Jimny, Nov 2016 it was poorly rust protected and I did a full Dinitrol job. This week I had a look and there are some rusting areas, will get some pictures up this weekend and work out how to sort the rust stains.

Rustproofing is at Mazda levels which is crap. I will post pictures of my new MX5 rust protection works next week. Do not think for a moment Suzuki will be any better.

My 2009 Scobby is in great condition underneath much better than my 2005 Scooby after 9 years. If Scooby can do it so should Mazda and Suzuki.

The rush of orders is just nonsence from people mostly buying on looks only because it looks "cute".

A large number of these early buyers will regret the lack of sophistication that a basic car designed for offroad use to a great extend will be years behind their upmarket road cars they trade in.

Those PCPing the cars will be forced to keep it for three years or so as their monthly payments on all sorts of items like Sky TV and £80 a month iPhone etc., do not allow then to do much more than that.

The better off Cash buyers in my opinion will trade them in after a year to 18 months as the "Cuteness" will lose out to the lack of sophistication.

There will be many second-hand cars available before Jan 2021.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimkyx

More
21 Nov 2018 23:01 #197963 by jimkyx
Seconded

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

More
22 Nov 2018 01:38 #197967 by zukebob

auchenblae wrote: A large number of these early buyers will regret the lack of sophistication

I agree with some of what you say but my opinion is probably a little more tempered. If I didn't currently own a Jimny, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment in buying a new generation model. On the other hand, I think that anyone who sells their current generation Jimny (assuming it isn't already at the very end of its life), in order to buy the new model will likely regret their decision. That is even more likely if they have modified their current one to improve its off-road capabilities.

You may be correct that there will be purchases by people who have no familiarity with Jimnys and are making the investment due to its "cuteness". That happened in the U.S. when the Samurai first hit the market but I think that group will be the minority. Only time will tell on that issue. If you are correct, you will also be correct about a large used Jimny market.

My conclusion is that the new Jimny is a nice vehicle and is certainly worthy of ownership by an enthusiast. I just don't think it is significantly better in doing what the current model does.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimkyx

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Nov 2018 05:25 - 22 Nov 2018 05:27 #197969 by Lambert
I'm with you on not changing an existing one until its end of life. Father is getting increasingly invested in the idea of a new one because of it's additional power for towing, maintaining that the stronger engine will be better at towing the same weight. I'm sure it will upto a point. My argument is that for a fraction of the cost of swapping, Ermintrude could be further adapted to more than compensate and that's without even putting a 1.6 in.

Don't get me wrong I love the look of the new one and Suzuki could have some of my money for one tomorrow if it were an emotional purchase. But from a business perspective I have a hard time seeing how it would pay me back when Ermintrude is only half way through her debt.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 22 Nov 2018 05:27 by Lambert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zukebob

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds