BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Suggestions to Suzuki about the upcoming 4th gen Jimny

More
04 Oct 2017 08:01 #184816 by Bosanek
I have just had an idea / inspiration to write an email to Suzuki's headquarters, giving them some direct feedback on new desired functionalities or remedies in the upcoming 4th gen Jimny.

I mean, why not - perhaps someone of importance over there will actually read it!

The point is to remind them that a niche vehicle like the Jimny has a specific customer profile, and that such customers value certain features, and that such preferences need to be upheld if the vehicle intends to keep its strong niche presence as it is now.

In that context, here are my ideas for new functionalities or remedies of existing issues.

I suggest that others contribute with some sound ideas. The idea has to make sense from manufacturer's perspective (to be relatively cheap to implement and to be useful to a significant portion of the customer base).

My ideas:

1. Solid axles

The front and rear solid axle design is the main genetic trait of the Jimny family from the beginning, and such a design should be kept in the future as well. Otherwise, it is not the same vehicle any more and should not be called the same.

2. 2WD-L transmission mode

Adding 2WD-L transmission mode would be almost trivial in the current Jimny's transmission system, as it requires absolutely no change in its mechanical or electrical design. It only requires an additional button on the dash board and some addtional programming in vehicle's 4WD control computer.

The main benefits of having 2WD-L mode is for the following situations:
1. On-road manouvering with a trailer, starting uphill with a trailer, or doing downhill on-road on engine braking with a trailer;
2. Parking in/out of a tight parking position;
3. All-terrain driving on rough ground, which requires slow speed or fine gearing changes (3rd low gear), but the ground is not slippery (for example hard dry well packed rocky gravel, or dry grass with many small undulations)

3. Steering damper

It has been proven numerous times in practice that doing a "DIY" modification of adding a steering damper to the current Jimny significantly improves its steering/road feedback (both on road and off road), with no known negative effects. It is one of the most popular modifications being done by advanced users.
It's also a rather cheap hardware.

Jimny is generally a wobbly and twitchy vehicle, and a steering damper is just the right solution for it.
Most other serious all terrain vehicles have this hardware as a factory fitment, and that is for a good reason.
I believe that the presence of this hardware would significantly improve the impression that current professional vehicle reviewers in car magazines would have when reviewing the Jimny, eliminating a lot of criticisms which they point out about its handling characteristics.

4. Vehicle length

It would be extremely beneficial to extend the vehicle by 20 cm, in order to gain additional 10 cm for the rear passenger leg room, and additional 10 cm for the rear trunk space. This might be offered as a "medium wheel base" edition.

5. Longitudinal roof rails

The longitudinal roof rails like on the current Jimny are a very useful utilitarian tool, which should be kept in the new generation.

6. Steering knuckle design

One of the most valued construction features of the Jimny series is having a solid front axle.
However, the steering knuckles are rather prone to ingress of dust, grit or various liquids, which is quite expensive to repair (king ping bearings, constant velocity joints, etc.).

This is one of vehicle's worst weak points. Improving it by at least sealing the CV joint in a rubber boot (like it has been done in a Mercedes G class) would be quite beneficial to vehicle's overall reliability. Some additional improvements to the swivel seals would also be desired.

7. Lever-operated 4WD transmission system

Please reintroduce the lever-operated 4WD system, like in all Jimny editions from 1970 to 2005, at least as an official option to be able to purchase and install instead of the buttons.

Lever operating principle is inherently more reliable and robust, and with much better user feedback during the shifting process. It is also more in line with vehicle's utility image. A lever-operated system is easier to diagnose in case of a failure and to temporarily partially remedy it if it fails in a remote location.

With a lever, the user is immediately aware of the situation while operating it, while with the buttons, the user can only sit and watch the lights on the instrument panel after pressing a button. Also, the shifting process with buttons is significantly slower.

In the current Jimny, it is very easy to accidentally press some of 4WD buttons while doing something else in the vehicle (for example operating the ventilation controls) in mid-driving. This can be very dangerous for the vehicle and for the occupants in certain conditions (for example driving on motorway).

8. Diesel edition

Reintroduce a diesel-powered edition, because it would have the best fuel economy of any 4WD vehicle worldwide, and because of superior low-RPM torque which is much appreciated in all terrain driving.

9. Tyre profile

Which ever factory tyre size you choose, the factory tyre profile (sidewall height) parameter should be at least "70" (like it is with the current model). For example 205 / 70 / R15. Any lower tyre profile would certainly compromise performance in all terrain conditions.

10. Manually locking front wheel hub heads

An idea - a factory option of either having the current vacuum operated front wheel hub heads, or having manually operated front wheel hub heads, at user's choice. The vacuum system could be present in the vehicle in any case, with some official way of enabling/disabling it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2017 11:15 - 04 Oct 2017 11:57 #184823 by yakuza
I am quite sure they have done market research before designing the car. not sure if the jimny sells best in asia or europe or south america but there will always be compromises. Also there will be production to think of and many manufacturers tend to make many types of cars on different platforms, and try to use many of the same parts. hoping they will choose the right parts this time like more engine alternatives.

1. Solid axles! totally agreed! without it there is no point in the car at all.

2. 2wd low:Of course, should not cost much and i cannot see any problems except if you have manual hubs and manual stick transfer.

3. Yes! Steering damper was standard on the old jimny / SJ413 series. (Wonder if it was on the coily samurai?)

4. length: maybe just settle for the compromise of 10cm extra so 5cm legroom and 5cm trunk?
Old SJ413 long wheel base resulted in a not so nice overhang..

5. Longitudinal roof rails. I agree. I do know why it is so, probably based on market research, but cars in Germany seldom has rails but all norwegian cars do. especially importan on a small car to have the possibility for the extra space.

6. Steering knuckle design. Yes, do the boots.

7. Lever-operated 4WD transmission system
Depending on what customers you market the car for most will either accept or like a lever. But for some, a button is less scary to operate.
The important thing here is to have some sort of locking on the center diff if that is an option. full time 4x4 would be great for my needs and winter driving.

8. Diesel edition -emissions would probably make that impossible. diesel ban is coming to cities across europe and in asia.
Better to have an electric option for the future and no stupid hybrid. I would like the torque from 0rpm for offroading.

9. Tyre profile -bigger is better. larger wheels on most new 4x4's now than what they had in the 80's and 90's.
something around 235x75x15's as standard would be nice.

10. Manually locking front wheel hub heads -again, same as the number 7 point depending on taste and market..
I like not having to dig out the hubs to engage 4x4 after having sunk the front end of the car in snow, sleet or mud..

For my own addition:
- Better defroster on the front and side windows
- Better/stronger long beam headlights
- longer doors to make access to rear seat better
- better/stronger protection of bumpers, stronger side skirts and underbelly
- keep the side opening rear door, deeper boot, bigger fuel tank
- a sun roof or canvas roof option not the bad cab solutions of later jimnys.
- better radio/stereo/speakers DAB+ and possibility to mount your own system, no massively integrated outdated rubbish.
- towing hook not hanging down like an anchor behind the car.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2017 11:57 by Lambert.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Oct 2017 11:55 #184825 by Lambert
No need to swear

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Oct 2017 13:35 #184829 by yakuza
Sorry, that word isn't swearing in Norway so i got lost in translation :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Wokka
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2017 13:42 #184830 by Wokka
Nice idea, but a little late: From all accounts they are well into preproduction

Manufacturers usually build 3 stages of cars with a new model:

Developmental: often cobbled together with various parts, sometime from the previous model, sometimes from completely different models

Technical/Training: Still a bit of a frankenstein, this is where they try to lock down vehicle specs. Mechanically, will be almost identical to the final car,

Preproduction: these are the first run at producing the cars, these are most likely the ones you see in the camo covers running around on the road, by this point the tooling for the body panels and interior will be complete, this is where they nail the local market specification

One glaring omission from the above, is motor options. Considering how simple a swap is, even the m15a would be a big improvement with very little change to consumption

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Oct 2017 14:31 #184833 by Lambert

yakuza wrote: Sorry, that word isn't swearing in Norway so i got lost in translation :)

I thought it might have been. Cheers.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• shakennstirred
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2017 17:04 #184837 by shakennstirred
Replied by shakennstirred on topic Suggestions to Suzuki about the upcoming 4th gen Jimny
very true, its already out in the wild, getting shakedown road tests.

More
04 Oct 2017 22:53 #184856 by Darthblaker7474
- Better placement for the cup holders

- More sound proofing

- Seats that actually fold flat

- A Parcel shelf in the rear

• Mraz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2017 08:23 #184864 by Mraz
- better rust protection
- a real engine under the hood
- full time 4wd

I can live with the rest.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2017 09:36 #184874 by 1066Boy
Get away from fancy electronics and just fit a locking centre diff.

More
05 Oct 2017 12:44 #184880 by Rhinoman
It a few years too late to influence the design although maybe Suzuki could be persuaded to introduce a LWB version as well, I'm sure that would appeal to a large number of farmers and utility providers now the LR has gone.
A larger load space would be good and definitely fold flat seats, that's a major drawback as an off-road utility vehicle. Full time 4WD with a locking centre diff would be a big improvement.
You won't get away from fancy electronics, it will soon be illegal to sell a car without stability control and collision avoidance. traction control is likely because its a 'free' extra, its just some extra software in the ABS unit.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
06 Oct 2017 10:50 #184904 by yakuza

Wokka wrote: Nice idea, but a little late: From all accounts they are well into preproduction

Rhinoman wrote: It a few years too late to influence the design

Actually this same topic was in another forum some 15-20 years back. I tried googling but couldn't find it of course.
Many of the same wishes where noted there. I have no idea if those comments ever reached the designers.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds