BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Time to change the springs again?

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
26 Sep 2017 11:07 #184516 by X8GGY
Looking at S200KYS and I think the springs have sagged again, after another 18 months use, so I've been considering my options...

We all know from countless tough-in-cheek comments that my Jimny is a little on the heavy side ;) There's an internal roll hoop, external roof tree-scraping bars to save the hardtop rear section and front soft-top section that has been retained for the odd sunny day we might get, front and rear metal ORA bumpers with winches front and rear, a big box of tools and another of spares inside the roll hoop... and a ground anchor behind my seat and a bag of strops, ropes and snatch blocks, etc, behind Alan's seat...

I've got ORA's girder-like radius arms fitted which I believe are castor-corrected for 4" lift...

I'm currently running +3" front diesel springs from a well known Jimny supplier (I won't be mentioning their name or products anymore having fallen out with them!) on the front and rear, the fronts having a pair of my spring spacers added to the tops...

So, what to fit on this latest refresh of the springs? As above, I don't want to give my hard earned to the big UK Jimny supplier... :lol:

So...

Zanfi? Bit dear, probably not weighted enough for my heavy Jimny?
trailmaster? I considered asking them, through the BigJimny store if they would supply me with 4x front diesel springs, but discovered they are the same length as the 2" but just wound thicker, see below...
The Polish company I got the roof-rack for the gold Jimny off? Again, probably not weighted enough...

Sooo... I started my research and ended up at one of TomDK's old posts -

So from that I worked out with some more googling that standard front springs are 335mm long and wound from 10mm diameter 'wire', the rears are 288mm stock length and also 10mm diameter wire

Trailmaster +2" fronts are 368mm long (33mm longer) but wound from 12mm wire

And their diesel springs are 353mm long (shorter?) but wound from 13mm wire

Mine are fitted and I can't really take them off to measure them, but I got the vernier out and they are 13mm thick wire too...

So, some more googling, and on some other Suzuki forums I discovered others using springs off other models of cars (also sold on eBay as lift springs!) which has been discussed on this fine forum before too...

And I eventually arrived at these -

So I just bought one to have a look at, which turned up this morning -

These are the correct internal and external diameter coils to match Suzuki fitment but are 442mm long (too long, but from my research others just lop a coil or two off) and wound from 14.5mm diameter wire...

So, I think, these are a good match for the extra weight my Jimny carries, and I can cut them to the correct length and not have to run spacers on the front to make up the 4" suspension lift I want to refresh...

I'm considering buying another three springs, and cutting one coil off for the fronts to make them 400mm long, and 2 coils off the backs to make them 360mm long...?

But before I do, what do you think? ;)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2017 14:18 #184519 by MWells
Replied by MWells on topic Time to change the springs again?
How about getting some made to your requirements? There are plenty of companies out there that are willing to make custom springs in small batches or one offs.

More
26 Sep 2017 16:09 #184527 by mlines
Used by a number of UK Jimny parts suppliers - www.coilsprings.co.uk/

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2017 17:02 - 26 Sep 2017 17:03 #184528 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re:Time to change the springs again?
Sorry to say Dave. But that's the price of quality springs. Be it Trail Master, Old Man Emu, Tough Dog, Dobinsons etc etc..

Zanfi springs are the same price.. Hope they match the quality.

Jimnybits springs are only half the price of that and in my opinion you usually get what you pay for.

The TM springs I had didn't sag a bit. When i sold them after 2 years they were still at full length.

If your Jimny is that heavy, I'd really consider the 3" lift springs from TM. They are in reality only 2" longer than standard springs. But made of 13mm wire and fairly hard.

Sounds interesting about those springs. Do you know what they're from?
Last edit: 26 Sep 2017 17:03 by TomDK.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Sep 2017 08:33 #184548 by Lambert
Is there a link to where you got your new longer spring from?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 Sep 2017 15:47 #184555 by X8GGY
Hmmm, getting custom springs wound sounds complicated... I don't particularly know what specification to order, hence searching for a spring that should suit the extra weight of my Jimny...And then there's the price of getting custom springs made? The one I've sourced as a sample was £36.44 including free delivery...

I'm pleased with the trailmaster ones I have on the daily driver, and originally had the same on S200KYS too, when it first started it's transformation...

The spring I got off eBay has the right number of coils, can be cut to the right lengths I want - and without having to run spacers to top them up (as I would have to with the trailmaster +3") and would appear to be the right thickness, given the trailmaster diesel and +3" springs are wound with 13mm wire (and the ones I have fitted now, the +3" front diesel springs all round), and the one I have sourced is 14.5mm wire...?

So, I think they should suit?

I haven't said what vehicle they come off, as I think they're more suited to a heavy Jimny like mine, and may not be suitable for everyone...

I was just looking for thoughts before trying them... No-one has said they don't think they are suitable? Just suggested alternatives...

I'm in no rush, I'll give it some time to see if there's any more comments, and think about it some more myself too...

Please do chip in with any thoughts? Thanks!...

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2017 16:10 #184556 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Re:Time to change the springs again?
the ones you have found are so cheap you have nothing to loose by getting the angle grinder out. :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Sep 2017 17:08 #184564 by Lambert
Stop being coy. I know mine isn't even close to the weight of your one but i do carry a lot of stuff and tow often and whilst I accept that the weight I can use is set on the vin plate it doesn't stop me making my car more able to cope. That and lopping coils off a 300 quid set of springs is much more stressful than than doing it to 30 quid ones

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2017 17:25 - 27 Sep 2017 17:28 #184570 by 1066Boy
Its always a bit of trial and error. I was told you can fit Landcruser springs to a Shogun for a 2" lift and this happened. :laugh: Had to take 1 1/2 coils off. :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Sep 2017 17:28 by 1066Boy.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 Sep 2017 18:46 #184579 by X8GGY
That looks like it's doing an "en-do" ;)

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2017 19:28 #184583 by 1066Boy
The front end was already +2", god knows what the rear was! The angle was too much for the rear diff and prop so dropped it 3" :)

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2017 20:25 #184587 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re:Time to change the springs again?

S200KYS wrote: Hmmm, getting custom springs wound sounds complicated... I don't particularly know what specification to order, hence searching for a spring that should suit the extra weight of my Jimny...And then there's the price of getting custom springs made? The one I've sourced as a sample was £36.44 including free delivery...

I'm pleased with the trailmaster ones I have on the daily driver, and originally had the same on S200KYS too, when it first started it's transformation...

The spring I got off eBay has the right number of coils, can be cut to the right lengths I want - and without having to run spacers to top them up (as I would have to with the trailmaster +3") and would appear to be the right thickness, given the trailmaster diesel and +3" springs are wound with 13mm wire (and the ones I have fitted now, the +3" front diesel springs all round), and the one I have sourced is 14.5mm wire...?

So, I think they should suit?

I haven't said what vehicle they come off, as I think they're more suited to a heavy Jimny like mine, and may not be suitable for everyone...

I was just looking for thoughts before trying them... No-one has said they don't think they are suitable? Just suggested alternatives...

I'm in no rush, I'll give it some time to see if there's any more comments, and think about it some more myself too...

Please do chip in with any thoughts? Thanks!...

I'm quite sure you'll find the springs made of 14.5mm wire far to hard. On the TM springs, notice the difference in spring rate on the equal length springs, going from 12mm to 13mm 26 N/mm vs 40 N/mm. The 3" lift springs are very hard compared with all other springs i've tried.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds