BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Auto transmission fluid change

More
01 Aug 2017 15:45 - 01 Aug 2017 15:48 #183083 by Casey
Hi

Hoping someone on here can tell me how to change the transmission fluid and filter on my automatic 52 reg Jimny. (Some photos if possible). I don't suppose there's one of Martin's helpful guides on the subject.

I understand that removing the plug doesn't drain all the oil and wonder if there is some way of using the pump I bought for changing engine oil?

Am I right in thinking Dexron III is best? and should it be fully synthetic?

Cheers
Last edit: 01 Aug 2017 15:48 by Casey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2017 06:28 #183102 by mlines
Sorry but I have not had an auto to try it on. If you live near reading, Berkshire we could make one :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Aug 2017 18:16 #183126 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic Auto transmission fluid change

Casey wrote: Hi

I understand that removing the plug doesn't drain all the oil and wonder if there is some way of using the pump I bought for changing engine oil?

quite a few autos cannot be fully drained as a 1/3 of the oil stays in the torque converter...
I wouldnt worry about it too much though as my diesel car is an auto and the oil that came out of the gearbox was black !
the mechanics said they had never seen such terrible condition oil, yet the same gearbox (with new 2/3 of oil) is still happily working on 273,000 miles !

More
02 Aug 2017 21:04 #183134 by Casey
Thanks

Will just drain what I can then.

Other question is where do you get a replacement filter and does it just fit under the oil pan?

More
03 Aug 2017 08:44 #183136 by kirkynut
I did an auto transmission oil change on my BMW recently and could only get 3 litres out but it holds a couple more in the torque converter.

The BMW needs for you to fill it back up as much as it will take, then run the car with it in neutral and add more until it's full as you need to pump it round.

So check the procedure on a Jimny to make sure you get it right but you must put back in what you take out.

Your local motor factor will tell you what you need type wise. Just get more than you think so you're not left short.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Casey

More
03 Aug 2017 21:11 #183167 by Casey
Thanks, will have to see what I can find re filter on the internet. I have downloaded the manual but it's not massively helpful.

• Stock682
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2020 18:58 #220604 by Stock682
Replied by Stock682 on topic Auto transmission fluid change
Hi, I'm about to change my transmission oil. Can you tell me what you did exactly? Did you ever change the filter?

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds