BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

31" tyres, how do they behave on road?

More
31 Jul 2017 10:28 #183070 by saxj
After a recent trip, I discovered that 29" tyres don't cut it for rock crawling.

I'm considering 31's, with a T-case regear. How well do they behave on road? Will I still be happy driving at 120kph for long distances? How will it fair as a commuter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2017 18:53 #183078 by helijohn

saxj wrote: I'm considering 31's, with a T-case regear. How well do they behave on road? Will I still be happy driving at 120kph for long distances? How will it fair as a commuter?

Can't speak for a Jimny but my 31s on my Mitsy behave superbly.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2017 19:44 #183079 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:31" tyres, how do they behave on road?
It won't be the tyres that cause problems, it will be the modifications required to make them fit. A steering damper will help improve the feel of the steering. Correcting the caster angle will also help.

• m63ad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2017 22:02 #183213 by m63ad
Replied by m63ad on topic Re:31" tyres, how do they behave on road?
what are your plans for the T case regearing ??

More
09 Aug 2017 15:41 #183273 by saxj
I'll likely use one of the gear sets available from Jimny bits. I'll have to start saving my pennies though, I imagine shipping to South Africa is going to cost a packet.

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2017 17:16 #183283 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic 31" tyres, how do they behave on road?
Not sure what you've already had done to the Jimny, but you'll need a major suspension lift, possibly a body lift too, extended brake lines, arch cutting, and a few other things in addition to the castor correction and t-box conversion. Possibly also axle reinforcement, HD panhards, HD steering etc if it's loads of rock gardens you'll be visiting.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds