BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Advice on a Jimny for wildlife conservation in Tanzania

• Honeyguide
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2017 17:50 #182681 by Honeyguide
Hi, I am new and just signed up. I run an conservation organization in Tanzania ( www.honeyguide.org) and I am thinking of using the Jimny as a key vehicle for management of conservation areas because i think it is cheaper to run than landrovers or landcruisers.( I have used Landrovers for years).
So I do not know much about them, I am about to buy a used one Japan as a trial car, so need advice on what I should avoid etc. Also, I need the car to be quite capable in tough conditions, the roads are rough and in the wet season, almost impassable ( however I think the Jimny could do it with the help of a few bodies).
I would like help, in the form of advice when selecting a used car- i would like to share the links from the used car sales portals with somebody and just have advice.
Once a car is selected, advice on any mods and where I can purchase these mods ( larger tyres, adjust the ratio of gearbox etc to get good performance and other ideas).
Can anybody provide advice or point me in any direction for any help?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2017 18:04 #182684 by jackonlyjack
I would advise buying a 2002-2004 model M13A engine with R7ME gearbox and stick shift transferbox
this setup is the most reliable ;)
2005 upwards can suffer gearbox failure and transferbox is electronic with push buttons and no leaver/stick shift
welcome to the group :)

Jack

• Honeyguide
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2017 18:32 #182689 by Honeyguide
Thanks for that quick response and help, if you see anything worth buying, point us into the right direction. I would concider buying from UK as well. I have seen the prices of shipping, not too bad.I will look out for a 2002-2004 model.

More
12 Jul 2017 18:57 #182692 by jackonlyjack
I would be very careful buying from over here the UK unless you're good at welding lol

this was my rear body mount on a 2001 model

Jack
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2017 19:11 #182693 by jackonlyjack
All the jimny's you are chasing in the for sale section are more than likely sold
also has you seem so desperate to buy one someone his going to sell you a real rubbish one for top dollar
(don't mean to come across as rude just being honest)

Jack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Honeyguide

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2017 21:48 - 13 Jul 2017 07:11 #182700 by Venter
As said earlier, the M13AA engined Jimny (non-VVT) with stick-shift transfer box is most reliable. The problem here is that any sourced from a country which salts its roads and/or has a wet climate will mean major rust issues, so I definitely wouldn't recommend getting one from the UK.

Jimnys are also a popular vehicle in South Africa, and the inland areas there are very dry, vehicles just don't rust on the Highveld. Even LR Defenders in that area will go a whole lifetime there without a single spot of rust, and that's saying a lot! You'd have a more accessible source there because freightage would be needed, They could be driven up from SA, which would offset the higher used vehicle prices in SA vs UK.

The catch is that the non-VVT Jimnys weren't released in SA, so all that's available are the push-button VVT-engined models. This shouldn't be a deal breaker, as this is still a very capable and reliable vehicle once a handful of small but vital modifications are made for an off-road life. The gearbox issue is more common than it should be, but isn't necessarily commonplace, and the repair is relatively simple by all accounts so your workshop could then be stocked with relevant parts if it's your fleet vehicle of choice.

Edit: Another option as far as rust-free used Jimnys might be Australia, with West Oz being the best option in terms of freight distance. I'm not sure what used vehicle pricing is like there, but (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) they do have the older models.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2017 07:11 by Venter.

More
16 Jul 2017 21:50 #182791 by saxj
I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the Jimny's. 40-50mm of lift, even spacers work OK, but the stock shocks don't last long in harsh conditions. 215/80R15 or 215R15C are a common and readily available size. Choose a mud terrain if you can. Deflate to .8 bar and you'll go places you couldn't imagine in a Cruiser or Land rover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Honeyguide

• Honeyguide
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2017 19:22 #182807 by Honeyguide
I was wondering if salt was still an issue in the uk, thanks for the heads up

• Honeyguide
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2017 19:24 #182808 by Honeyguide
Thanks Venter, I might revert back to Japan, seems they have a good used car supply process. Might come back to the forum for info on how to improve the specs.

• Honeyguide
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Aug 2017 06:47 #183223 by Honeyguide
Hi Jack,
I am going to press the button for a 2004 model from Japan, the model code is TA-JB23W, it is a manual transmission,3 cyl Turbo Intercooler, not sure if that is OK, can you let me know if this model is OK or you have some knowledge that I should know, where I should avoid this?
Damian

More
07 Aug 2017 08:13 #183224 by saxj
You may have a hard time getting spares for that motor outside of Japan. Rather go for a 1300 model if you can.

More
07 Aug 2017 08:16 #183225 by jackonlyjack
Hi i have no idea what they are like as we don't get them in the UK sorry
Maybe someone else can help you with this model

Jack

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds