BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Double-Din Radio Upgrade

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2017 10:02 #182097 by Venter
Double-Din Radio Upgrade was created by Venter
I'm looking to upgrade the stereo head-unit in my new jimny (2009) and have found a bunch of threads on the pitfalls of trying to match aftermarket double-dins to the fascia, etc. It seems more complex than I am able to handle at this stage of the week :(

Ideally I'd like to keep the stock fascia and get a unit that is compatible with the iPhone. Not interested in it being Apple Carplay compatible, as this hikes the price loads, and all it need to do is play nicely with the phone's iTunes over bluetooth and be able to handle hands-free calls. DAB would be a bonus, but not vital.

Has anyone found a head unit which fits standard fascia with no (or minimal) alteration? Then all I'll need is the small outer trim piece to go around the edge, if I remember correctly from a thread of Martin's from a while back?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2017 15:27 - 16 Jun 2017 15:28 #182104 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
This is my Sony one just a case of measuring the radio and buying the surround for the one you choose I think the Chinese touch screen ones come out in lots of different sizes but the main makers I think there is just a couple of millimetres difference

File Attachment:
Last edit: 16 Jun 2017 15:28 by Daniel30.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2017 15:49 #182105 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
Wow that looks posh Dan. :)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2017 15:55 #182106 by Daniel30
It wasn't that expensive about £118.00 does everything though so pleased with it.

P.s I haven't forgotten about yours just finished laying my lawn today ;) ;)

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2017 15:58 #182107 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
That really does look awesome.

Just because I'm a lazy git, what model Sony is that? I'm keen to check if its specs are what I'm looking for, if so I'll probably just get it to save time. You have a link to the small trim piece that surrounds it?

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2017 16:39 #182110 by Daniel30
WX-GT90BT does everything you mentioned apart from DAB it's a few years old now though but a lot of this non touch screen double din stuff is quite cheap now, I haven't got a link for the surround- sorry

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2017 16:43 #182111 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
That's great, thanks

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
16 Jun 2017 18:59 #182114 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
That looks exactly like the surround i bought form ebay (about £10), but didnt fit the simple kenwood unit i bought, so i have a gap :-(

plus side is the kenwood does DAB, and everything else. even has USB on the front for straight ipod/iphone connection & control/charging. All without the pesky touch screen business :-) (big fingers = useless touchscreen)

There is a fancy complete facia from various places (including caraudiodirect.co.uk) that is supposed to fit any double DIN, but costs over £110. This is the ultimate answer, but pricey for a radio surround (and might not fit either).

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2017 19:12 #182115 by Daniel30
Ricky: When I was looking there was two surrounds just a few millimetres between them so maybe you needed the other one B). This one has front USB got the smallest 64gb key in it, you can just about see it bottom right of the picture have all the music I need on that B) B) B)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
16 Jun 2017 19:25 #182118 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
it still annoys my OCD being a slightly different plastic to the original, but yes i didnt measure before i ordered it, hence the misfit :-(

weirdly i actually prefer the gap to a bad fit & match. eventually i might try a full surround, but i can live with the gap and label it as an 'unfinished project' in my mind ;-)

Apple music on 4g for me (and in Cumbria!). surprisingly its actually more reliable than the DAB (vodafone before everyone asks).

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
18 Jun 2017 23:54 #182182 by Darthblaker7474
I've currently got a Poineer Carplay unit in my passion wagon.

I was able to find a fascia, but I think Suzuki actually sells them in different sizes for the various types of stereos available

getting one of these is on my seemingly never ending to do list

Halfrauds told me that I wouldn't need a fascia... probably because hardly anyone changes the stereo in a Jimny :unsure:
Attachments:

• invincible
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2019 18:45 #213784 by invincible
Replied by invincible on topic Double-Din Radio Upgrade
hey up riccy, engine conversion went well in the end mate, looking at a diff radio that will actually pick up some stations, mine on a copper wire isnt to flash!!
do you rekon a kenwood dpx7000 dab will fit is it similar to yours? did the jimny connector plug straight in the kenwood or you had to get another lead bud? cheers Liam

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds