BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Steering wheel change

• Seantdi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2016 22:53 #170012 by Seantdi
Steering wheel change was created by Seantdi
New here guys. Picked up a 2002 jimny at the weekend.
One problem I have is that the steering wheel is starting to come apart. Well the material is flaking off and is gone loose on the steel inner part..

Can these be replaced with a wheel from a different model suzuki or will only a jimny one fit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2016 08:09 #170020 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Steering wheel change
There was a post on this a few months ago. Have a search. The airbag is the issue rather than the splines on the shaft.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seantdi

More
14 Jul 2016 10:15 #170040 by gusthegorilla
Replied by gusthegorilla on topic Steering wheel change
Agreed...but if you can find a steering wheel off a Jimny 'Mode', they're slightly better in appearance and quality, and would solve the airbag issue.

Gus :)

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seantdi

• Talkstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2020 22:00 - 31 Jul 2020 22:02 #225917 by Talkstar
Replied by Talkstar on topic Steering wheel change
I changed my Steering wheel yesterday.
Went super fine. From a 3 spoke 2006 - 2014 JB43 model in leather to a 3 spoke 2008 - 2012 Swift ZD11S in leather with Audio controls on the wheel.
Required a bit of a fiddle but nothing impossible.
Pics attached

Quite satisfied. Wheel fits almost "straight out of the box". To get the Audio controls to work took a bit of thinking, but eventually I solved it relatively simple. My aftermarket stereo has learning function for different OEM solutions. Swift uses, like most Japanese, an variable electrical resistance to control all the functions.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jul 2020 22:02 by Talkstar. Reason: Typo, info missing

More
02 Aug 2020 09:39 #225974 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Steering wheel change
This could be a good 'How to' article to go into the Wiki if you made a step-by-step guide

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Talkstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2020 20:50 #226051 by Talkstar
Yes, great idea. I took some photos of the operation so I will write an small 'how to' guide.
Thanks.

• Romyc75
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2020 12:30 #226074 by Romyc75
Replied by Romyc75 on topic Steering wheel change
Wow,super nice

• Romyc75
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2020 12:50 #226905 by Romyc75
Hi,is possible to have some more details ,aerbags works?conectors ?it's plug&play or....Thanks a lot

• Mir2910
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Oct 2020 19:03 #228926 by Mir2910
Replied by Mir2910 on topic Steering wheel change
I want to swap my 1997 non airbag steering wheel like the one u hav with multimedia control but the problem is mine doesnot have a clock spring in it, can anyone suggest me how to tackle this prob or may b a way to alter it.

• Talkstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Oct 2020 20:17 - 09 Oct 2020 03:46 #228928 by Talkstar

Romyc75 wrote: Hi,is possible to have some more details ,aerbags works?conectors ?it's plug&play or....Thanks a lot

Oh my fluff!!
I have forgotten totally to do an write-up.
Sorry sorry!
But I will do it! I've gotten my hands on a Swift Sport wheel with nicer leather & red stitching. I will take photos and actually do this now.
To answer your question @Romyc75, 2nd gen interior like the one I have (2004 -> ) shares airbag connectors with all modern Suzuki's. So anything suzuki airbag related is basically available to attach to the Jimny clockspring.
All suzuki have the same steeringcolumn splines. Me fex, I had an Lapin Momo wheel for a while.
It's a bit hassle to connect the audio controls. Since Jimny uses an older type of clockspring which isn't compatible with newer Suzuki vehicles with steeringwheel controls. But there is an workaround. I will tell all about it when I do the Write-up. There is two ways to do it. Both very easy in the end.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2020 03:46 by Talkstar. Reason: Clarification

• Romyc75
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Oct 2020 05:44 #228935 by Romyc75
Wow, thanks a lot

• Talkstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2020 10:26 - 10 Oct 2020 10:31 #228980 by Talkstar
The wheel from ZD11 Swift is actually same size as the Jimny one. Yes it is a bit fatter rim but I see it as a plus.
I like my mod!:silly:
New Wiki is up
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...Jimny_to_another_one
I have no idea how to attach photos so it will look neat.
Please help :whistle: :dry:
Just look at that!
I changed mine from a ZD11S to a RS416 JDM RS Swift one. I guess its called a Sport Swift in the UK.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Oct 2020 10:31 by Talkstar. Reason: Photo!

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds