BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

rear passenger side wheel bearing lasted a week?

• Jim Jimny 95
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2016 22:13 #165879 by Jim Jimny 95
pretty recently i had changed the rear wheel bearing on the passenger side due to finding diff oil on the back of my alloy wheel, after a week of no problems i have noticed it has leaked again, also i have been experiencing alot of brake judder from the rear not 100% sure why. but i have noticed after taking both rear drums off the car to bleed the brakes the drums will not sit on the rear hubs correctly, looks like the drum has shrunk or its as if i need to grind the inside of the drum out or the outside of the hub to get them to fit could someone please give me some info on what this maybe and if both problems could be related? thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2016 06:31 - 27 Apr 2016 06:34 #165885 by skywalker65
Why have you removed the drums to bleed the brakes ? Judder can be for all sorts of reasons.... Contamination of the brakes shoes, ovaled drums, high spots on the drum itself where the shoes make contact, leading edge of the brake shoes too sharp( usually they are chamfered).
If your having issues reinstalling the drums this could be due to you not having wound the brake shoe adjuster off sufficiently or if the drums are heavily worn then a groove builds up on the edge. Can be removed with a grinder. Might be time for new drums and shoes.
If oil has made its way in to the inside of the drum then that would suggest either an incorrectly installed oil seal or possibly a worn component that's not allowing the seal to do its job

If in doubt ...... Flat out ??
Last edit: 27 Apr 2016 06:34 by skywalker65.

More
02 May 2016 14:16 #166120 by Obarno
When you change the rear bearing and oil seal it is not difficult to bend the half shaft. This usually happens when you grind through the bearing retainer and break it with a hammer and chisel. This happens if the half shaft is not supported under the retainer. It's very important to support the shaft properly to avoid this happening. This could explain why the drum isn't fitting propoperly .To check take the drum off and if you have one use a dial gauge on the flange to measure the run out. There shouldn't be any!
Worth checking anyway.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds