BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

OBD2 readers

More
12 Mar 2016 18:06 #163663 by Grasshopper
OBD2 readers was created by Grasshopper
Hi All

Just wanted to get some opinions on what is the best OBD2 reader to purchase.

One option I am considering is to just buy an OBD2 to USB interface cable, I have one laptop running Linux OS and have downloaded a free program called Scantool which may be rubbish but worth a play around.

However if I do it properly I would much appreciate some views & reviews on the right one to buy, rather than the cheap alternative which probably would not work anyway LOL.

Thanks

Dave

The only benefit of age is experience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2016 20:56 #163715 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic OBD2 readers
Any EOBD reader will work, most of the free software is rubbish or hacked versions of proprietary software which often contains viruses. I'm not a Linux user so I can't help with alternatives, however, a cheap Android device and Torque Pro is a good and very cheap choice.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grasshopper

More
14 Mar 2016 19:52 - 14 Mar 2016 20:22 #163759 by Grasshopper
Replied by Grasshopper on topic OBD2 readers
Thanks for that Rinoman.

One of the positives of the Linux operating system (I use Ubuntu) its less easy to contaminate with viruse. Plus the whole business of program downloading is managed through a software package system. I like using it because your working from a terminal (if you wish) making it very fast, but I admit its not everybody's cup of tea.

I will have a look at EOBD products, interesting our long haul vehicle is a big Volvo and it has a interrogation socket labeled OBD and I think Volvo is about European as you are likely to get LOL.

Thanks
Dave

The only benefit of age is experience.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2016 20:22 by Grasshopper. Reason: Missed backed of paragraph.

More
18 Mar 2016 20:31 #163989 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic OBD2 readers

Grasshopper wrote: I will have a look at EOBD products, interesting our long haul vehicle is a big Volvo and it has a interrogation socket labeled OBD and I think Volvo is about European as you are likely to get LOL.
Thanks
Dave

If its post 2001 then it will be EOBD.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds