BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

I keep skidding!

More
15 Sep 2015 22:00 #152037 by furo
Replied by furo on topic I keep skidding!
Thanks a lot for all of the advice everyone! I'll get new tyres as soon as I can afford them and make sure I take extra care when cornering!

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Back in Black
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2015 15:44 #152064 by Back in Black
Replied by Back in Black on topic I keep skidding!
The second biggest handling improvement I found after better tyres was when I fitted wheel spacers

More
15 Dec 2015 10:45 #158559 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic I keep skidding!
Here is my small contribution to the question of selecting proper tyres:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jFMegEyy...ml?gid=1&single=true

I took a lot of time early in this year to compile a list of all interesting HT, AT and MT tyres from reputable tyre brands. I wrote all important info about each tyre (some info is still incomplete) and also wrote my personal remarks about every tyre.
That list will occasionally be updated and completed over time.

If someone is looking for an AT class tyre for a Jimny, here would be my top 4:
  • Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA+
  • Continental ContiCrossContact AT
  • General Grabber AT
  • BFGoodrich All Terrain TA/KO

• rayz_x
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2015 12:46 #158623 by rayz_x
Replied by rayz_x on topic I keep skidding!
I would add Yokohama Geolandars to that list. My Duelers were about 7 years old and no good, lost the back end too easily. The Geolandars had the best wet grip rating of AT tyres. I can get them to break away a little on a tight roundabout but so far just a little controlled drifting, never that sudden 'skip' out. They are also not 'directional' so you can rotate them easily and use the spare anywhere.
Look online for fitted prices for a set of 5.

Ray

More
16 Dec 2015 13:09 #158625 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic I keep skidding!
Would you not think that at 7 yrs old they had gone hard and were affecting grip??
New tyres of any sort are going to make a difference.
Just my opinion.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
16 Dec 2015 13:14 #158626 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic I keep skidding!
It's a catch 22 for me as I do so few miles per year that I would be spending hundreds every 4 or 5 years if I replaced the tyres and yet have seemingly nothing to show for it. :whistle:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
16 Dec 2015 13:24 #158627 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic I keep skidding!
I've not long replaced mine at 5 yrs as they were showing signs of age eg minor surface cracks.
They weren't replaced due to tread.
I bought a brand new Swift in 2008 and it needed tyres at 25000 mls. and no I don't tear around everywhere :laugh:

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
16 Dec 2015 15:06 #158630 by furo
Replied by furo on topic I keep skidding!
Thanks a lot for the replies guys! I actually got a set of Goodyear Wranglers (good to hear your thoughts Bosanek) soon after I started this thread and they've made a massive difference - I've had no issues at all since then. Thanks again!

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds