BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

shudder in second gear

• foggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2013 23:05 #94474 by foggy
shudder in second gear was created by foggy
Hi Guys,
Is it the norm for Jimny's to shudder in 2nd gear? Not going mad on the gas but always get vibration in second that seems to transmit up the body of the jeep. (rear)..
Thanks guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wiltec17
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2013 23:08 #94475 by Wiltec17
Replied by Wiltec17 on topic shudder in second gear
My jimny shakes like a shitting dog anything under 2000 rpm. Which is a pain because I used to idle my fiesta round at 1500rpm everywhere unless I was hooning.

• JAGM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 09:26 #94498 by JAGM
Replied by JAGM on topic shudder in second gear
My 2005 VVT does that (25,000 miles), but more so when moving off in first gear (although I have noticed it in second gear from time to time). I think Wiltec 17 is right - more revs means less shudder. Sometimes I get the revs just right and there is no shudder at all. I posted some time ago about driving a friend's older (2003) non-VVT (75,000 miles)and how I noticed the transmission was more 'car-like'. Some people replied that the non-VVT gearbox was different. I certainly thought it was smoother than the VVT version - and no shudder at all.
A friend of mine who is a mechanic at a local BMW Dealership says that he could replace the clutch and flywheel if I wanted, but in his experience it may not improve the shudder much - if at all!! He says that many vehicles like the Jimny suffer from this to a greater or lesser degree.

• Biasmechanic
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 12:48 #94519 by Biasmechanic
Replied by Biasmechanic on topic shudder in second gear
Mine does this too. 2nd gear below 2500rpm you get the vibration and the grrrrrr noise also sometimes when going into 3rd at low revs. Annoying thing on mine is the plastic trim on the outside of the drivers door is loose and rattles with it. :(

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 13:01 #94524 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic shudder in second gear
Common problem.

I think people have agreed on here in the past its either a work UJ on the rear prop... or harmonics through the rear diff.

The European Diesel version has a damper hanging from the bottom of the diff helping to reduce this... I assume the diesel has it due to the relatively low rev range used in a diesel because that is were the torque is.

There is a diagram available somewhere

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 14:34 #94531 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic shudder in second gear
It's just resonance. My J does it. All cars do it at low revs if the engine is under strain.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 16:21 #94533 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic shudder in second gear

Wiltec17 wrote: My jimny shakes like a shitting dog anything under 2000 rpm. Which is a pain because I used to idle my fiesta round at 1500rpm everywhere unless I was hooning.

+1.
My jimny does it so does my dog :ohmy: :laugh: :dry:

• foggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 19:39 #94556 by foggy
Replied by foggy on topic shudder in second gear
Hey Thanks Guys,

Something else on the little Jimny that I shall call character !

Great help as always guys..

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 19:58 #94561 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic shudder in second gear
You can replace UJs Clutches, Flywheels etc etc and it will still judder just not as bad

Mine rattles its self to pieces if you let the revs drop too much... Best fix? Dont let the revs drop! Its only a little 1.3 after all! :)

• JAGM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Dec 2013 12:05 #94642 by JAGM
Replied by JAGM on topic shudder in second gear
I have found that the VVT engine is at it's happiest if kept between 2000 and 3000 RPM. 1 rev below 2000 and it is not happy.
J.M.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds