BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Battery

More
27 Oct 2013 22:27 #88268 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Battery
I've got a big Numax in the boot which is awesome and alot cheaper.

I tried to put it under the bonnet with a Jimnybits tray but it's too tall. It'll stay in the boot now I think.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2013 23:12 #88274 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re:Battery
www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/jimny/accessori...-tray/prod_1096.html

The second picture down in the link shows a plenty big enough battery fitted to my jimny.

• ME13OSE
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2013 00:01 #88276 by ME13OSE
Replied by ME13OSE on topic Battery
My mate owns a large motor factors and I spoke to him years ago regarding a heavier battery for an FTO I owned at the time and he told me that the Jap battery's are all pretty poor and standard in a way. The battery for the 2ltr V6 engined car I had was the same battery fitted to micras. We had the same conversation last week when I ordered a new battery for the jimny I just bought, was wanting something meatier, the biggest battery in terms of output he could provide for it was the one it came out the factory with. Obviously we could have started cutting things up and making another battery fit but I just went for a fresh standard unit. (45ah)

More
28 Oct 2013 07:04 #88291 by kirkynut

supergaz wrote: www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/jimny/accessori...-tray/prod_1096.html

The second picture down in the link shows a plenty big enough battery fitted to my jimny.

What battery you using Gaz? Would be nice to use my tray!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
28 Oct 2013 08:14 #88300 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re:Battery

kirkynut wrote:

supergaz wrote: www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/jimny/accessori...-tray/prod_1096.html

What battery you using Gaz? Would be nice to use my tray!

Kirkynut

I'll put details of the battery up once it drys and i'm back from work. It is a gel battery designed for cars with stop/start technology.

More
28 Oct 2013 20:33 #88373 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Re:Battery

jonesyba420 wrote: Will any car battery work as long as you can get it to fit in the hole?I know the standard battery has small terminals so you might need to put new ends on the leads.

Generally yes but you ought to consider capacity in connection with charging rates.

@ Kirk

I've got a big Numax in the boot which is awesome and alot cheaper. It'll stay in the boot now I think.

Kirkynut

Any issues with fumes at all?

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
28 Oct 2013 22:32 #88402 by kirkynut

helijohn wrote:

jonesyba420 wrote: Will any car battery work as long as you can get it to fit in the hole?I know the standard battery has small terminals so you might need to put new ends on the leads.

Generally yes but you ought to consider capacity in connection with charging rates.

@ Kirk

I've got a big Numax in the boot which is awesome and alot cheaper. It'll stay in the boot now I think.

Kirkynut

Any issues with fumes at all?

No, it has two vent tubes on it which I have put out through the floor. The only fear is should it leak or go bang.

I have a scan gauge so can keep an eye on what it's charged with and it's so big in comparison to what a Jimny normally has that even if the regulator in the alternator went scuwith I don't think it could do it any harm.

The car's been on it's side and it didn't leak then and it's covered in a big thick rubber sheet to stop anything shorting across the terminals and should it go pop this would deflect the acid to stop it hitting anyone.

I'd rather not have a lead acid battery in the car but it's been fine and performs well.

Kirkynut

More
28 Oct 2013 22:51 #88408 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Re:Battery

kirkynut wrote: No, it has two vent tubes on it which I have put out through the floor.

Kirkynut

Sounds good. Did you run a hot lead along the chassis to the engine bay?

Seems to me like rotting jack wells would be the ideal place to build a battery tray using new steel.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• jonathan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2013 10:13 #91532 by jonathan
Replied by jonathan on topic Battery
found out that the Optima yellow top YT-B24RI fits a jimny and it has the small Japanese battery posts on it to , also i have found out a bit of useful info as i a now working for a battery company ,to make the battery last longer and perform better every 2-3 months give it a charge for 24 hours even a new one on a vehicle with a good quality charger , i use the CTEK MXS 5.0 from Sweden , as vehicles don't charge the battery up fully

• agada
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2020 08:52 #220460 by agada
Replied by agada on topic Re:Battery
can anyone suggest me a good car battery company?

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2020 09:26 #220462 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic Re:Battery
Have been using this company for easily over 20 yrs now...
Remember to check any battery you buy has Japanese slim posts as Jonathan pointed out!
www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/types/054/

• jonathan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2020 12:20 #220468 by jonathan
Replied by jonathan on topic Re:Battery
The battery for the Jimny is a Yuasa YBX5057 and Groves batteries Ltd have stock and do online sales
www.grovesbatteries.co.uk

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds