× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

jimny v6

• jimnykey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 17:35 #70683 by jimnykey
jimny v6 was created by jimnykey
hi i am looking to put a vitara 2.5 v6 in my jimny and i was just wondering if any one else has done this

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 18:00 #70686 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic Re: jimny v6
Its a nice idea, but will ruin the Jimny offroad. Too heavy.

Most trucks run a Rocklobster for extra torque.

If its a pavement princess then thats a differrent story.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• jimnykey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 18:09 #70689 by jimnykey
Replied by jimnykey on topic Re: jimny v6
done all that.just sold my old jimny that had a rock lobster with diff locks. doin somthin different with 70 series toyota axles want somthin with power. already bought it now anyway

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 19:42 - 14 May 2013 20:03 #70711 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: jimny v6
Not true at all.
The V6 engine has so much power that it more than makes up for the extra weight.
Of course the Jimny will be more front-heavy than it already is.

If this would ruin the offroad capability, what would a diesel-conversion do to the Jimny? Some of the diesel engines used are just as heavy.

And yes. This has been done. Use the search function :)

Have a look at this :)
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...-back-jimny?start=24

Here is a modified Samurai, also with a 2.5 V6 engine.
forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=66396 Also a very capable truck :)

Have you bought the engine with gearbox? An automatic perhaps? It's awesome offroad :)
Don't worry. A jimny with LC 70 series axles and that engine, will be very capable offroad. Also suitable for competition, if that's what you want :)
Last edit: 14 May 2013 20:03 by TomDK.

• jimnykey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 20:12 #70717 by jimnykey
Replied by jimnykey on topic Re: jimny v6
thanks for them links am using a vitara gearbox with the bell housing of the v6 gearbox there a lot narrower than a 2.5 gearbox there massive. its got a off road armoury coversion plate on the back off the gearbox to take a hilux 4.7 rock lobster transfer box

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 20:14 #70718 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: jimny v6
Great :)

keep the thread updated with pics, please :)

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 20:14 #70719 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic jimny v6
Try sending a pm to Gazwell he's done it on his competition trayback. He's not on here much though.

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 22:08 #70734 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic jimny v6
I will certianly look forward to seeing this being built, no matter what my thoughts are.

TomDK - Whats the difference in engine weight from 1.3 to V6?

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 22:13 #70736 by Sponnie

jimnykey wrote: done all that.just sold my old jimny that had a rock lobster with diff locks. doin somthin different with 70 series toyota axles want somthin with power. already bought it now anyway

Be great to hear you opinion on the capabilities of both 'trucks' coming from the 1.3 modded jimny to the V6 when its built.

I would love to do a diesel conversion, but mainly for more MPG! And torque to get up the massive hill near my house! :)

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 22:20 #70739 by Sponnie

TomDK wrote: Not true at all.
The V6 engine has so much power that it more than makes up for the extra weight.
Of course the Jimny will be more front-heavy than it already is.

If this would ruin the offroad capability, what would a diesel-conversion do to the Jimny? Some of the diesel engines used are just as heavy.

And yes. This has been done. Use the search function :)

Have a look at this :)
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...-back-jimny?start=24

Here is a modified Samurai, also with a 2.5 V6 engine.
forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=66396 Also a very capable truck :)

Have you bought the engine with gearbox? An automatic perhaps? It's awesome offroad :)
Don't worry. A jimny with LC 70 series axles and that engine, will be very capable offroad. Also suitable for competition, if that's what you want :)

Hey Tom,

It was a IMO comment, not something I have facts to back up, My comments come from seeing heavy more powerful machinery fail against lighter, less powerfull machinery on a number of offroad sites I have been too.

They are also based on the comments i have read from other forums.

Im happy to be wrong about all of the above as i do not own a V6 Jimny.

If you have the money to pretty much change/upgrade a Jimny to V6 and remove everything on it Suzuki to make it reliable and peform better, then I say go for it! :)

• mudman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 22:53 #70742 by mudman
Replied by mudman on topic jimny v6
i saw somwere on rhino rays web site that hes made one with pics

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2013 06:29 #70751 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic jimny v6
When Gazwell run his Vitara V6 in the muddy truckers I believe he came 4th overall and that was against some pretty exalted company (ORA etc.) so I think that speaks volumes. I have though seen this car in the flesh and it was a very tight fit.

According to Gary it was a pig to fit (and believe me he has considerable fabrication skills!). He had to put in a massive lift, relocate the axles and even chop away and rebolt the complete front panel to get it in, as well as loads of other work (relocate radiator into the trayback etc). So not for the faint hearted :)

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds