× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny buying advice - Had SJ413 & Sammy previous..

• Bodge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 11:04 - 08 May 2013 11:05 #70262 by Bodge
Ahoy!

I've been pining over a Jimny for a while now, plus the wife wants one too. Apparently "I suit" 4x4's. Must be my grubby unkempt exterior.

My first car was a lovely red soft top '86 SJ413JX back in the day. After I smashed that up I moved on to a rare '91 LWB Samurai, which I drove and loved for 7 years. I still have that car, but it's not moved for about 4 years now.

Anyway, Jimny's. I really really hate rust. It depresses me. So with your help I'm hoping to find a relatively rot-resistant (galvanised or whatever) example!

I've decided to look at cars between 2005 and 2010, with the VVT engine and electronic transfer box. I know the front bumpers are a bit ugly in that generation, but I can live with that (or change it for a beefy steel one!). Not interested in a soft top, so aiming for a Japanese built tin top. Is there an easy way to spot a Jap vs. Spanish vehicle from their build spec? Like different wheel styles or interior trim? I know how to tell from the VIN, but thought there must be other ways.

The only thing that scares me is the electronic transfer box. Are they more problematic?

Looking to spend £4.5k ish.

I'm pretty handy with a spanner, but I'm a spanner with a welder (hence the rust allergy)!

Slightly off topic, but I've been drooling over the Jimny 4Sport that countries like Brazil and Greece are getting this year. Looking at the aggressive bumpers etc I doubt it will ever get sold new in the UK. But, all the kit should be available to buy via dealers eventually. Anyone looked into this already? The factory fit snorkel is nice. Also the 215/75R15 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A tyres look nice and manly!
Last edit: 08 May 2013 11:05 by Bodge. Reason: spelling!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 12:51 - 08 May 2013 12:57 #70266 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Jimny buying advice - Had SJ413 & Sammy previous..

Bodge wrote: Is there an easy way to spot a Jap vs. Spanish vehicle from their build spec?

Yep..... Japanese have a steel roof... spanish have a fabric roof :)

jimny sport is quite cool - like the bumper and snorkel

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 May 2013 12:57 by darthloachie.

• Bodge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 13:24 #70267 by Bodge

darthloachie wrote:

Bodge wrote: Is there an easy way to spot a Jap vs. Spanish vehicle from their build spec?

Yep..... Japanese have a steel roof... spanish have a fabric roof :)

jimny sport is quite cool - like the bumper and snorkel

Yeah they look epic! Even better in the dark green colour.

So it's that simple then. ALL tin tops are made in Japan and ALL rag tops are made in Spain? Nice and easy. I'm not prejudiced, but...... my SJ was Jap made and the Sammy is Spanish made, the difference in quality was obvious!

Is the JLX+ spec worth it? Not sure I could live without AC anyway actually....

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 13:28 #70268 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Jimny buying advice - Had SJ413 & Sammy previous..

Bodge wrote: Not sure I could live without AC anyway actually....

Dont worry, rust holes will provide plenty of air-con :lol:

More
08 May 2013 14:13 #70270 by mlines
I believe that "rule" works one way - ie. all soft tops are Spanish built

However it does not work the other way as I believe Hard tops were both Spanish and Japanese built.

The only real way is to look at the VIN Number first few digits.

JSA = Japanese

VSE = Spanish

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bodge

• Bodge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 14:43 #70274 by Bodge

GuardianAngel wrote:

Bodge wrote: Not sure I could live without AC anyway actually....

Dont worry, rust holes will provide plenty of air-con :lol:

Oh, that's okay then!! My Samurai always felt the need to water my legs when it rained. Suzuki's are so considerate like that.

Although my current car is perfectly reliable and fast as hell (remapped Mk1 Octavia RS with 204bhp & 354Nm), I still miss the character and fun of driving the Samurai. Plus I miss fooling about offroad!

• Bodge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 14:47 #70275 by Bodge

mlines wrote: I believe that "rule" works one way - ie. all soft tops are Spanish built

However it does not work the other way as I believe Hard tops were both Spanish and Japanese built.

The only real way is to look at the VIN Number first few digits.

JSA = Japanese

VSE = Spanish

Okay thanks for that. That's what I had read too. Other than the VIN, do you know of any visual differences? Or are they made from an identical list of parts and paint colours/combinations? Just trying to pre-filter while browsing Autotrader! Cheers

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds