× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

HELP FUEL PIPES

• Maddscottish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2013 18:42 #70223 by Maddscottish
HELP FUEL PIPES was created by Maddscottish
Hi people i have just bought my first Jimny and over the moon with it wanted one for ages but found that the 3 fuel pipes and 2 brake pipes are corroded at the back on drivers side just before they go up towards tank. Its only the last 30/40 cm can i join them all or do i need to replace the hole pipe? i HAVE ADDED A FEW PHOTOS IF YOU CAN MAKE OUT ANY OF THEM THANK YOU MARTIN

PLEASE HELP ME AM STUCK HERE.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2013 19:20 #70226 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: HELP FUEL PIPES
Joins add potential points of failure so avoid as you are dealing with brake and fuel lines. Especially brakes where its a highly pressurised system under braking.

• UKDAN
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2013 19:27 #70227 by UKDAN
Replied by UKDAN on topic HELP FUEL PIPES
Try cleaning up with fine sandpaper then painting

Dan

More
07 May 2013 19:55 #70229 by facade
Replied by facade on topic HELP FUEL PIPES
I disagree, looking at the photos, I suspect that touching them will make them leak.

Best to budget for replacement. This will cost a fair bit £150-£200 at a guess. This wants doing quickly, the brake pipes carry a lot of pressure, and the fuel pipes are both under pressure all the time the engine is running.

You can do them yourself if you are careful. You will need the pipes and a set of the plastic spacers/clips that hold them to the chassis- you will never get the old ones off so they can be reused.

Take a look at the front end of the pipe, where it curves up at the chassis rail under the drivers feet. You will see the same corrosion.

I'd get the pipes on the axle changed at the same time if they look rusty, it won't cost much extra.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you will only worry all the time you drive it that they will burst.

If it came from a trader, try taking it back and see if they will change them.

Mark is an MOT tester, I bet he would fail them ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maddscottish

• rs200boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2013 21:33 #70233 by rs200boy
Replied by rs200boy on topic HELP FUEL PIPES
best getting them changed mine are exactly the same and ill be doing mine soon wayb to look at it is 1 lot of pipes keeps you on the road and the other keeps you out a ditch so without either yer buggered

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 06:30 #70243 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic HELP FUEL PIPES
My mechanical knowledge is very basic compared to most of the guys on here but I changed all my brake and fuel lines quite easily. Just get yourself a flaring tool (about £12) and you can do it. Be careful to get the right diameters, the fuel line comes in two sizes. The best advice I can give you is what I got from Façade and be very careful to note where each pipe connects at each end (best take photos and do drawing before hand).

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 08:16 #70247 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: HELP FUEL PIPES
Use copper pipe as well, not steel. Easier to work with and it will not rust. Just make sure it is rated for car brake lines (8000psi I think).

Also be careful when putting in bends. Dont use your hands as you will probably kink and fatigue the pipe. Find some tubing and use as a former to carefully work the bend into the pipe. That way you will get a nice even bend.

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 08:23 #70248 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic Re: HELP FUEL PIPES
You can't beat a good bender!!

Attachments:

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 09:47 - 08 May 2013 09:49 #70256 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: HELP FUEL PIPES
Id replace them even it you clean them and paint them and thay are still pitted it will fail plus the pipes arnt that thick any way and dont undertake the job if you dont no what your doing seeing as the brake are a major component

Yes i would fail them in that condition
Last edit: 08 May 2013 09:49 by markyp2000.

• Maddscottish
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2013 20:10 #70505 by Maddscottish
Replied by Maddscottish on topic HELP FUEL PIPES
Thanks for the help guys much appreciated ;)

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds