× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

long range tank??

More
13 May 2013 06:33 - 13 May 2013 06:46 #70589 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic long range tank??
In the UK we don't really need long range tanks as most fuel stations are well within the range of the standard tank. Even if you travel down the remotest part of Scotland I think it's only around 111 mls from Thurso in the North to Ullapool!! If you think you are going to get caught out we just carry extra in a can.
If in Oz the exhaust isn't too much of a problem with regulations why not just replace the rear box?? Possibly a smaller silencer with a side exit or up and over the roof?
This then gives you a large space to drop in a standard legal tank from another vehicle??
It would be interesting to know if an LPG tank could be fitted in this space so that the already small luggage space isn't used up by a huge LPG tank inside!!
Anyway I don't think the regs are too difficult to get round??
www.lrsshop.co.uk/category/catalogue/exp...ong-range-fuel-tanks
There are plenty of tanks sold in the UK for kit car use usually alloy so there is no problem. If it is made professionally then insurance will be ok.
Some standard cars have plastic tanks!!!

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 13 May 2013 06:46 by gilburton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ozjoel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2013 09:37 #70602 by ozjoel
Replied by ozjoel on topic long range tank??

reaper wrote: Sorry now im confused
You started this thread asking if there were any larger tanks made by any uk companies and end it telling us how easy it is to make one as you have all the certs and talent ??.
So get on with it

all over it like white on rice, fella.
just threw the feelers out there to see if something was on the market to save me the work.
didnt mean to kick your hornets nest in the vulva :P

• ozjoel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2013 09:52 - 13 May 2013 10:03 #70603 by ozjoel

kirkynut wrote:

ozjoel wrote: wow, thought poms were rock em sock drinking hard men, not girly certification arguing legality swearing yanks??? each post will need a disclaimer and public indemnity insurance, as well as a lawyer per member!
(jokes)

The problem we have is that we are stickers for not breaking rules. Now that's not a problem if you write the rules but we have this thing called Europe we have saddled ourselves with. Now some bunch of idiots in Brussels who don't understand or care what we need or want make up rules for us to stick to, but being the sticklers we are for rules, we are the only buggers in the club that abide by them!

Not to worry, our main man Dave is gonna get us a better deal organised and then let us vote on whether we stay in it or not.

My Mrs and I have spoken about emigrating to your fine country just like a girl at my work is later this year but I have to say, you have some funny rules too and some of the same problems we do. It's just Europe isn't one and your problems aren't all as developed as some of ours.

In respect of fuel long range fuel tanks, I get the impression that most Aussies that go 4wding over large distances like diesel trucks with lots of space and big engines, not little Jimjams, so there can't be much of a market for long range tanks for them.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Kirkynut

i hear you loud and clear mate, we also have signed up to a lot of the EU stuff, like the emissions etc, which isnt a bad thing in retrospect, although i hate working on the DPF and SCR systems, and have spilled the "adblue"stuff on me lol, did that count as a golden shower?

we have our very own gestapo fun police, especially concerning suspension lift and tire size increases, basically all that is allowed is 50mm suspension and 15mm tires, so a jimny with 50mm of lift and 215 75's is all that is legal eagle.

our country is very gun shy, anti hunting, anti outdoors, cant eat it if it casts a shadow type thing.
run by hippys. at the moment they love closing tracks.
but its still the best, although we have a very high cost of living, second only to japan.

Indexes Difference
Consumer Prices in Australia are 59.43% higher than in United States
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Australia are 68.36% higher than in United States
Rent Prices in Australia are 89.28% higher than in United States
Restaurant Prices in Australia are 64.82% higher than in United States
Groceries Prices in Australia are 48.65% higher than in United States
Local Purchasing Power in Australia is 25.06% lower than in United States

U.K
Consumer Prices in Australia are 28.72% higher than in United Kingdom
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Australia are 40.64% higher than in United Kingdom
Rent Prices in Australia are 72.03% higher than in United Kingdom
Restaurant Prices in Australia are 21.26% higher than in United Kingdom
Groceries Prices in Australia are 33.29% higher than in United Kingdom
Local Purchasing Power in Australia is 15.76% higher than in United Kingdom

in reference to the big 4wd diesel part, yep, the minions would have you believe you need a $70 000 toymota landbruiser to get around out here, but they miss out on all the spots a zook can only get to,
i predominantly use my jimny as a pig shooting, camping, daily vehicle, and the main thing that lets it down is the baby fuel capacity and just a touch small, another 1 foot longer and wider it would be great, could have got a defender 90, but thery are $55 000 versus the jimny $20 000 and i wanted a vehicle that would break down between every service and leak oil a an exorbitant rate like a land rover (puts on Kevlar helmet and vest, starts sandbagging awaiting the onslaught from the land rover mother land)

another 15 litres of fuel and ive sorted 1 of 99 problems.

if your going to move here, now is the time, the economy is getting stronger gain, see this country, its un real, and dont be a stranger!
Last edit: 13 May 2013 10:03 by ozjoel.

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2013 15:31 #70615 by MWells
Replied by MWells on topic long range tank??

ozjoel wrote:

You started this thread asking if there were any larger tanks made by any uk companies and end it telling us how easy it is to make one as you have all the certs and talent ??.
So get on with it

just threw the feelers out there to see if something was on the market to save me the work.

Did you try contacting Overkill engineering about their long range tanks for a jimny or not?

More
14 May 2013 07:39 #70660 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic long range tank??

ozjoel wrote:

kirkynut wrote:

ozjoel wrote: wow, thought poms were rock em sock drinking hard men, not girly certification arguing legality swearing yanks??? each post will need a disclaimer and public indemnity insurance, as well as a lawyer per member!
(jokes)

The problem we have is that we are stickers for not breaking rules. Now that's not a problem if you write the rules but we have this thing called Europe we have saddled ourselves with. Now some bunch of idiots in Brussels who don't understand or care what we need or want make up rules for us to stick to, but being the sticklers we are for rules, we are the only buggers in the club that abide by them!

Not to worry, our main man Dave is gonna get us a better deal organised and then let us vote on whether we stay in it or not.

My Mrs and I have spoken about emigrating to your fine country just like a girl at my work is later this year but I have to say, you have some funny rules too and some of the same problems we do. It's just Europe isn't one and your problems aren't all as developed as some of ours.

In respect of fuel long range fuel tanks, I get the impression that most Aussies that go 4wding over large distances like diesel trucks with lots of space and big engines, not little Jimjams, so there can't be much of a market for long range tanks for them.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Kirkynut

i hear you loud and clear mate, we also have signed up to a lot of the EU stuff, like the emissions etc, which isnt a bad thing in retrospect, although i hate working on the DPF and SCR systems, and have spilled the "adblue"stuff on me lol, did that count as a golden shower?

we have our very own gestapo fun police, especially concerning suspension lift and tire size increases, basically all that is allowed is 50mm suspension and 15mm tires, so a jimny with 50mm of lift and 215 75's is all that is legal eagle.

our country is very gun shy, anti hunting, anti outdoors, cant eat it if it casts a shadow type thing.
run by hippys. at the moment they love closing tracks.
but its still the best, although we have a very high cost of living, second only to japan.

Indexes Difference
Consumer Prices in Australia are 59.43% higher than in United States
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Australia are 68.36% higher than in United States
Rent Prices in Australia are 89.28% higher than in United States
Restaurant Prices in Australia are 64.82% higher than in United States
Groceries Prices in Australia are 48.65% higher than in United States
Local Purchasing Power in Australia is 25.06% lower than in United States

U.K
Consumer Prices in Australia are 28.72% higher than in United Kingdom
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Australia are 40.64% higher than in United Kingdom
Rent Prices in Australia are 72.03% higher than in United Kingdom
Restaurant Prices in Australia are 21.26% higher than in United Kingdom
Groceries Prices in Australia are 33.29% higher than in United Kingdom
Local Purchasing Power in Australia is 15.76% higher than in United Kingdom

in reference to the big 4wd diesel part, yep, the minions would have you believe you need a $70 000 toymota landbruiser to get around out here, but they miss out on all the spots a zook can only get to,
i predominantly use my jimny as a pig shooting, camping, daily vehicle, and the main thing that lets it down is the baby fuel capacity and just a touch small, another 1 foot longer and wider it would be great, could have got a defender 90, but thery are $55 000 versus the jimny $20 000 and i wanted a vehicle that would break down between every service and leak oil a an exorbitant rate like a land rover (puts on Kevlar helmet and vest, starts sandbagging awaiting the onslaught from the land rover mother land)

another 15 litres of fuel and ive sorted 1 of 99 problems.

if your going to move here, now is the time, the economy is getting stronger gain, see this country, its un real, and dont be a stranger!

Yeah, we had looked into it a little but I had found the cost of living was a bit more expensive than the UK. We would both be earning more though to offset it to some extent.

She has too much family to miss whereas I have little family and we are trying to have kids, so it's not a great time in that respect. Wouldn't be able to come out there, pump a few kids out and expect to claim child allowance off the government like we can here straight away, if you have such a thing.

I subscribe to Australian 4wd Action getting the dvds etc and get so jealous reading the mag and watching the dvds. It seems you have lovely tracks. How do you view that mag over there. I love it and get the impression from the mag it's popular but they would give that impression. Is it a true representation of Aussie wheeling?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• ozjoel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 08:49 #70663 by ozjoel

MWells wrote:

ozjoel wrote:

So get on with it

Did you try contacting Overkill engineering about their long range tanks for a jimny or not?

havent yet, no,
i have had a very bad experience with a fab shopo, and since if i cant buy it off the shelf, i will only make it myself.
how credible are they??

• ozjoel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 08:52 - 14 May 2013 08:54 #70664 by ozjoel
as a search on auszookers just yielded umpteen threads on bad experiences.
Last edit: 14 May 2013 08:54 by ozjoel.

• ozjoel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 10:50 #70670 by ozjoel
Yeah, we had looked into it a little but I had found the cost of living was a bit more expensive than the UK. We would both be earning more though to offset it to some extent.

She has too much family to miss whereas I have little family and we are trying to have kids, so it's not a great time in that respect. Wouldn't be able to come out there, pump a few kids out and expect to claim child allowance off the government like we can here straight away, if you have such a thing.

I subscribe to Australian 4wd Action getting the dvds etc and get so jealous reading the mag and watching the dvds. It seems you have lovely tracks. How do you view that mag over there. I love it and get the impression from the mag it's popular but they would give that impression. Is it a true representation of Aussie wheeling?

Kirkynut[/quote]

wages are good, depending on your location will determine the living expenses too, as some locations cost far more than others. also your choosen industry will dictate your wage as well.
if you apply for a work skilled work visa, and i believe after 4 years you are eligible for permanent residency, which will enable you the same rights and benifits as a citizen, it will also afford you the right to apply for citizenship, but your right to not have the piss pulled out of you for being a pom will never be granted, no matter how long you have lived here, just the slightest hint of accent, and your done lol.

heres how some see EMG tigerz11 roo systems (4wd action)
www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?28049-...d-from-Melb-4x4-Show

others
www.patrol4x4.com/forum/general-discussi...w-100072/index4.html

basically EMG ( corporate publisher of 4wd action) bought a profit share of cheap chinese re seller companies of teigerz11 and roo systems.
this is a direct conflict of interest and nowe are not an unbiased magazine that they once were, ex advertisers are livid with them as is the general public, they now use the magazine to peddle there cheap chinese knock off crap as "great fair dinkum aussie 4wd equipment that you need" and there magazine is 220 pages of chinese crap catalogue. they make profit from ill informed and those that dont know better, this has all come to a head and now many consumers are unhappy with them etc etc etc.

i wouldnt wipe my bum with the magazine, and the dvds are a good "how not too" at best, but can be generally pretty good and show some unreal places. its a real pitty they went for the dollar signs instead of ataying true to what they were.
this being said, they have done a fair amount of charity work and protesting to keep tracks open, pitty they tried to turn anything into a "protest" to sell chinese crap.

you can draw your own conclusions, these are just my opinions and some other internet weirdos lol.

More
14 May 2013 11:20 - 14 May 2013 14:14 #70671 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic long range tank??
Nearly went on a £10 ticket in the early 70s after I left the Navy but due to events/jobs etc. I never did go. Biggest regret of my life so if you qualify give it a go.
Don't rely on the tv programme "Wanted down under" It's rubbish.
Go with an open mind and don't expect to be looking at better houses etc straight away!
Just go and rent until you have established yourselves. Personally I would get rid of everything here and start again.
Then think about the longer term re mortgage etc once settled.
Even back then the cost of living was about the same BUT the money went further. ;)

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 14 May 2013 14:14 by gilburton.

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2013 15:12 #70675 by MWells
Replied by MWells on topic long range tank??

ozjoel wrote: as a search on auszookers just yielded umpteen threads on bad experiences.

In that case make your own if your happy to do so. :)

More
14 May 2013 22:16 #70737 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic long range tank??

ozjoel wrote: Yeah, we had looked into it a little but I had found the cost of living was a bit more expensive than the UK. We would both be earning more though to offset it to some extent.

Kirkynut

wages are good, depending on your location will determine the living expenses too, as some locations cost far more than others. also your choosen industry will dictate your wage as well.
if you apply for a work skilled work visa, and i believe after 4 years you are eligible for permanent residency, which will enable you the same rights and benifits as a citizen, it will also afford you the right to apply for citizenship, but your right to not have the piss pulled out of you for being a pom will never be granted, no matter how long you have lived here, just the slightest hint of accent, and your done lol.

heres how some see EMG tigerz11 roo systems (4wd action)
www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?28049-...d-from-Melb-4x4-Show

others
www.patrol4x4.com/forum/general-discussi...w-100072/index4.html

basically EMG ( corporate publisher of 4wd action) bought a profit share of cheap chinese re seller companies of teigerz11 and roo systems.
this is a direct conflict of interest and nowe are not an unbiased magazine that they once were, ex advertisers are livid with them as is the general public, they now use the magazine to peddle there cheap chinese knock off crap as "great fair dinkum aussie 4wd equipment that you need" and there magazine is 220 pages of chinese crap catalogue. they make profit from ill informed and those that dont know better, this has all come to a head and now many consumers are unhappy with them etc etc etc.

i wouldnt wipe my bum with the magazine, and the dvds are a good "how not too" at best, but can be generally pretty good and show some unreal places. its a real pitty they went for the dollar signs instead of ataying true to what they were.
this being said, they have done a fair amount of charity work and protesting to keep tracks open, pitty they tried to turn anything into a "protest" to sell chinese crap.

you can draw your own conclusions, these are just my opinions and some other internet weirdos lol.[/quote]

I must admit, I was fishing a little for an opinion on Australian 4wd mag but did not expect to learn all that about Aussie Opinion! In lastmonth's DVD I watched them bouncing up a rocky climb and slamming the front wheels down into the ground and I winced, waiting for the cracking sound of snapping half shafts / cv's but it never came.

I do still like it as it's better than anything we have over here, however, the cash for comments suggestion rings very true and I am sick of the ads both in the mag and on the DVD's. Try finding a car mag that doesn't do cash for comments though! Even if it's just maintaining the advertising money, I read and wonder all the time. I read alot of mags too!

I shall see how the lass at work gets on when she goes over to you I think.

Cheers for sharing your thoughts. It's much appreciated.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds