× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

long range tank??

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 20:10 #70294 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic long range tank??

ozjoel wrote: what could possibly go wrong with a professionally made tank from a competent technician?
as long as nobody tries to use one for some sort of petrol smoking bong apparatus, it just has to hold fuel etc,
e.

Nope
The tank on your jimny and any other car has to pass tests for deformation in the event of heat / cold and impact , if you were to have a rear end shunt and your ''homemade'' tank ruptured you would be in serious stum
Now imagine how much trouble you would be in if you had sold a tank to someone else and this happened

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2013 09:17 #70318 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic long range tank??

Jack wrote: I can go over 600 miles in my jimmy with out stopping for fuel, I love it. :P

How and where did you placed your LPG-Tank?
Some Pictures please? :)

• UKDAN
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2013 11:07 #70323 by UKDAN
Replied by UKDAN on topic long range tank??

reaper wrote: But it would need to be made by a real fuel tank manufacturer
I for one wouldnt put my name to one . ..

Only small but how about motorbike tanks from the scrap yard ?

Dan

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2013 12:13 - 09 May 2013 12:14 #70329 by VAXXi
Last edit: 09 May 2013 12:14 by VAXXi.

• Bigsy74
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2013 18:55 #70354 by Bigsy74
Replied by Bigsy74 on topic long range tank??
I've made tanks for years for rally cars and for race cars for versus company's all over the world and they all have difrent tests and regs

• Bigsy74
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2013 18:59 #70355 by Bigsy74
Replied by Bigsy74 on topic long range tank??
And ther is a way out of trouble put a disclaimer on the tank for off road or race use only

• gus2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2013 19:35 #70359 by gus2000
Replied by gus2000 on topic long range tank??
Argentine Jimny with two cylinders NGC (natural gas compressed) at 200 bar (3000 psi)

30 liters c/u = 6 Nm3 NGC = (aprox eq.) 7 liters of fuel. :unsure:

• ozjoel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2013 07:57 #70446 by ozjoel
Replied by ozjoel on topic long range tank??

reaper wrote:

ozjoel wrote: what could possibly go wrong with a professionally made tank from a competent technician?
as long as nobody tries to use one for some sort of petrol smoking bong apparatus, it just has to hold fuel etc,
e.

Nope
The tank on your jimny and any other car has to pass tests for deformation in the event of heat / cold and impact , if you were to have a rear end shunt and your ''homemade'' tank ruptured you would be in serious stum
Now imagine how much trouble you would be in if you had sold a tank to someone else and this happened

precisely why it has the certifacation test, so if it passes, it conforms to ADR'S (australian design rules)
such companies that carry out this work are, any certified combustible liquid cell manufacturer, a certified tester (me)
long range tanks aust. etc
im not going to bang in a pinapple tin and plum it to the tank :laugh:
i cant really explain this any better, its a happening thing, from some of the suspension lifts i see, this shouldnt be a concern, unless the tank is on the roof, where the jimny will inevitably end up with 6'' of llift :silly:

• ozjoel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2013 08:10 #70447 by ozjoel
Replied by ozjoel on topic long range tank??
so just to reinterate,
in aus, the tank has to be made by a cerified tradesperson.
petrol tanks cant be made of aluminium,
must have an evaporative vent system in line with the current emissions legislation for the year of manufacture of the vehicle (ie, will have to be plummed to the charcoal canister, or the line tht goes to the charcoal canister from the original tanl, this is so the hydrocarbons dont vent straight into the atmosphere, they will be vacuumed into the
inntake manifold once the vehicle reaches running tempreture)
the tank must pass a "safe load test"this is a pressure test etc.

as for structure, not sure if any of you have seen the standard tanks, but they are made of thin metal, so the impact test is a non event, as a big enough impact ruptures any tank.
also the tank must not leak from the filler at any lesser angle of X degrees, but i dont have the measurement.

the filler will also have an anti siphon filler to to negate leakage and theft from the natives up here in the north.

the floor will be cut around where the jack and wheel brace go, a 15 litre tank installed, well mounted and bracketed, heat sheilded from the exhaust, than tapped to the main tank and i will have a bosch lift pump plumbed between the to tanks able to be flicked on from the drivers seat, so it pumps fuel to the main tank.

basically, like any landcruiser/patrol with the twin tanks, dont know if you mob have them over there but thats how they are here, you have a 90liter "main tank"and a 90 liter "auxillary"tank that pumps to the main tank.

hope this helps any people interested, im not interested in making these to sell, as i have enough on my plate, but once done i will do a detailed instruction that you can follow at your own discretion and will/ risk.

wow, thought poms were rock em sock drinking hard men, not girly certification arguing legality swearing yanks??? each post will need a disclaimer and public indemnity insurance, as well as a lawyer per member!
(jokes)

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2013 09:34 #70522 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic long range tank??
Sorry now im confused
You started this thread asking if there were any larger tanks made by any uk companies and end it telling us how easy it is to make one as you have all the certs and talent ??.
So get on with it

More
12 May 2013 20:42 #70573 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic long range tank??

ozjoel wrote: wow, thought poms were rock em sock drinking hard men, not girly certification arguing legality swearing yanks??? each post will need a disclaimer and public indemnity insurance, as well as a lawyer per member!
(jokes)

The problem we have is that we are stickers for not breaking rules. Now that's not a problem if you write the rules but we have this thing called Europe we have saddled ourselves with. Now some bunch of idiots in Brussels who don't understand or care what we need or want make up rules for us to stick to, but being the sticklers we are for rules, we are the only buggers in the club that abide by them!

Not to worry, our main man Dave is gonna get us a better deal organised and then let us vote on whether we stay in it or not.

My Mrs and I have spoken about emigrating to your fine country just like a girl at my work is later this year but I have to say, you have some funny rules too and some of the same problems we do. It's just Europe isn't one and your problems aren't all as developed as some of ours.

In respect of fuel long range fuel tanks, I get the impression that most Aussies that go 4wding over large distances like diesel trucks with lots of space and big engines, not little Jimjams, so there can't be much of a market for long range tanks for them.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Shep
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2013 22:36 #70585 by Shep
Replied by Shep on topic long range tank??
Most people that travel around Aust do use big 4wds however they miss out on being able to access the truly remote parts of awesome land. Also where Joel and I live is the tropics and during the monsoon only small lightweight cars stand any chance of being able o go anywhere.

There is 10 x 20L cans packed in my car and I used all of them on that trip.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds