× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

long range tank??

• ozjoel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2013 11:04 - 28 Apr 2013 11:07 #69605 by ozjoel
long range tank?? was created by ozjoel
has anyone come up with a solution for the dismal 40 litre fuel capacity in a jim??
havent seen anything on the market and as far as anyone is concerned in australia, its in the to "hard basket"due to the location of the driveshaft and diff in relation to the tank.
anyone made anything or is there a tank on the market in the u.k?
i dislike gerrys in the cab as they fume up and make me a bit spewy.
cheers
Last edit: 28 Apr 2013 11:07 by ozjoel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2013 11:16 #69608 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic long range tank??
i was actually thinking about this last week, i thought i saw one ages ago but you needed a 2" bodylift, i even think it was from Australia

• gus2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2013 11:44 #69613 by gus2000
Replied by gus2000 on topic long range tank??
Hello

Due to the long distances to travel in Argentina, I transported over four years ago, 2 "Blitz can 5 gallon" "made ​​in usa" behind front seats.

I never had gasoline smell in the jimny

Another alternative is to place the spare wheel in the cabin of the jimny and jerrycan in original place of the spare Wheel.

Success

Gustavo

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2013 17:31 #69640 by MWells
Replied by MWells on topic long range tank??
Overkill engineering in Australia did make them.

Mark

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2013 21:43 #69665 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic long range tank??
Not sure about the UK but in Oz you can't place fuel tanks externally on the vehicle. Big no-no due to spillage/flames/explosion in case of accident. If you need extra fuel put it in a trailer and leave the trailer at your camp while you go walkabout.

I have seen a few flat fuel tanks for sale on Oz Ebay that fit in the rear of the Jimny and add another 40litres capacity but haven't seen them for a while.

• ozjoel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2013 11:05 #69801 by ozjoel
Replied by ozjoel on topic long range tank??

ZookFastback wrote: Not sure about the UK but in Oz you can't place fuel tanks externally on the vehicle. Big no-no due to spillage/flames/explosion in case of accident. If you need extra fuel put it in a trailer and leave the trailer at your camp while you go walkabout.

I have seen a few flat fuel tanks for sale on Oz Ebay that fit in the rear of the Jimny and add another 40litres capacity but haven't seen them for a while.

dont you know us aussies are all criminal convicts??
if i were to leave a trailer unattended in the bush here, i would return to
A, BURNING TRAILER
B, CONTENTS OF TRAILER SNIFFED
C, NO TRAILER

a tank could be easily made, by cutting the rear floor and making some extra room for 15 more litres, that would extend the touring range out to at least 550km , much better,
its a long term goal of mine so we will see what happens

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2013 20:04 #69825 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic long range tank??
But it would need to be made by a real fuel tank manufacturer
I for one wouldnt put my name to one . ..

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2013 20:20 #69829 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic long range tank??
Hmm... As long as its made by a coded welder and then pressure tested for leaks it should be fine...

as it isn't structural or high pressure you don't even need to be coded!

The general engineering company I work for (only small) make a few tanks every now and again for heating oil and we repair a load of tanks for boats etc

As long as they pass a pressure test then they are safe to use

• ozjoel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 May 2013 09:29 #69857 by ozjoel
same same, making a petrol tank here is simple.
dont need to be an rocket surgeon.
just need it certified by a coded boily and get a safe load pass cert done (which i can do at work)
making the tank isnt the ordeal, its the easy bit, mocking one up and all the trauma associated measurements will be the hard bit.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2013 10:33 #69969 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic long range tank??
I am a coded welder and make high and low pressure vessels in both ally and stainless for trains and aircraft use , both have to be vigorsly tested so i know im capable , my point is i wouldnt want to build on for anyone as if anything went wrong in use i would be inbjail for a long long long time

• ozjoel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2013 11:42 #69973 by ozjoel
thats goes for any product anybody makes for the consumption of joe public mate.
as long as the vessel you make holds fuel and is tested correctly and is certified, your covered, at least thats how it is here, what could possibly go wrong with a professionally made tank from a competent technician?
as long as nobody tries to use one for some sort of petrol smoking bong apparatus, it just has to hold fuel etc,
hopefully i will have one done in the next 18 months and others could use the plan as a basis of cheers or geers i spose.

• ozjoel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2013 09:21 #70188 by ozjoel
back of a tow truck?

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds