BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Replacing roof rails with roof bars

• GWR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2013 20:06 #64602 by GWR
This morning I was sitting in my car outside Halford waiting for them to open so I could buy a thule foot pack to fit my Jimny roof bars. The while I was waiting I was mooching around this forum when I found a thread saying the maximum weight limit was only 30kg due to the plastic fittings on the ends of the roof rails. What a ridiculous idea roof bars that are too feeble to carry anything! :angry: so I went home without any thule bits. I removed the roof rails to find 2 studs attached to the roof at each corner. I currently have a 2010 BMW 320 company car for which I bought a roof rack to carry my playboat (that's a small kayak) which attaches via a 6mm stud at each end. The so I stripped of the bits I wouldn't need drilled a couple of holes in each bracket and it bolts straight onto the Jimny roof rail studs. So if anyone is interested the foot pack is number 753 you would also require the fitting kit 3028. Drill a couple of holes in each bracket, trim about 5mm off the bottom of the cover cap and it is a perfect fit B). The only thing to bare in mind is that the roof bars are further apart than a roof rack would normally be. Hope this is useful for some of you folks. I ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2013 20:28 #64606 by Halford
sounds good - pics would be great ;)

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2013 21:49 #64623 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Replacing roof rails with roof bars
That would be Thule 753 + fixpoint 3028 ? I agree, pictures would be great. Do the feet align properly to the curved roof ?

• GWR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2013 22:02 #64626 by GWR
Replied by GWR on topic Replacing roof rails with roof bars
Yup only a very slight difference which when tightened up is fine. Will post pics ASAP if I can work out how to upload them! :whistle:

• GWR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2013 18:47 #64672 by GWR
Ok if this works then there should be some pics attached :blink:

Attachments:

• GWR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2013 18:51 #64674 by GWR
Ok if this works then there should be some pics attached :blink:

• barnes
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2013 19:08 #64677 by barnes
Replied by barnes on topic Replacing roof rails with roof bars
Nice job there good to see sone different ideas on here

More
08 Jan 2020 03:17 - 08 Jan 2020 03:29 #217094 by spineguy
Thank you for sharing, sir and I've just recently adopted your technique for our 2010 JB43
It's been quite a while and I am interested to know if your bolt on modification is still working?
May I know what you used as your rubber bushing/feet?
An additional concern I have is corrosion of the bolts because they are not sealed like with the original rail.
Did you develop this problem or how did you prevent?
Thank you for your reply

JSP
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2020 03:29 by spineguy.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds