BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What did you do to your jimny today?

More
29 Nov 2021 16:06 #240393 by Roger Fairclough
I would normally maintain battery voltage to the car by use of suitable leads from the new battery.

Wouldn't this keep the ECU happy?

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2021 18:27 #240396 by Scimike
The ECU's not unhappy as such, it just remembers ( leads or not) that your old battery has had X many start / stop cycles and is X years old. It uses this information, along with capacity information etc, to calculate how much charge to push into the battery. That's part of a "smart" alternator function, but is usually specific to start / stop tech. So when you change your battery you should tell the ECU it's new and reconfirm the capacity information etc, it then treats it like what it is, a new battery. I guess you don't need to do this, but you will not be charging at optimal performance and it then defeats the smart function. Long term it could reduce battery life or leave you stranded during a start / stop cycle.
You need to check if your Audi has a need for this, but it appears to be normal now for modern BMW/VW/Audi.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
30 Nov 2021 14:26 #240411 by Roger Fairclough
Cheers Scimike, info much appreciated. I will be doing more research in the event battery does show signs of dying.

Roger

More
02 Dec 2021 21:35 #240451 by Reason2doubt
Sorting out the passenger front wing. I don't have arch liners anymore, so giving it a scrub back to inspect. Lucky I did as the shock mount was cracked (the driver side blew out last year on the way to Italy on our road trip). Welded a washer in for the time being to strengthen it up. 

Tomorrow I will scrub it up a bit more and rust-encapsulate and then paint with buzzweld products.

Attachments:

More
03 Dec 2021 21:38 #240470 by Reason2doubt
Got the inner wing sprayed in rust-proofing. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

• Rodda
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2021 01:26 #240547 by Rodda
Replied by Rodda on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
Added Thule Black Evo Roof Bars to my Ivory and blacktop 2021 GLX.

More
09 Dec 2021 17:17 - 09 Dec 2021 22:31 #240581 by Reason2doubt
Original headlights were put back in with some new LED bulbs and I went to get them aligned. 

Had to make a little bracket as one of the plastic tabs had broken off the top of the headlight:

I also learnt the LED bulbs are illegal for the purposes of the MOT, so just need to remember to put the candles back in when it's time for testing. 

Did a bit of undersealing with a paintbrush, only to get fiddling and broke the connection to the starter motor (it was severely corroded!). It looked connected but the wire had come apart inside the blue rubber housing.

I think that will do for this year! Well pleased with the months of endless work I've put into this. Big thanks to Keith as the main man who supported me through the build as it wasn't as clear cut as just cutting and putting new arches on! 

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Dec 2021 22:31 by Reason2doubt.

• Brompton92
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Dec 2021 18:44 #240876 by Brompton92
Replied by Brompton92 on topic Re:What did you do to your jimny today?
Are the 215/75r15 general grabbers A/T mounted on the Standard wheel rim ?

More
05 Jan 2022 09:08 #240906 by Old Neil
Finally got round to putting vented discs and callipers on front end of my 2015 jimny, had all the parts lined up to put on my 2000 jimny but that got written off
Inside diameter hole of disc was just under 1mm too small but apart from that iob went smoothly
Been watching Martin's tec videos and reading articles on this forum, made it easier for me other people on this forum did the hard work nuting it out
Discs and callipers are from 98 vitara estate
Cheers Neil

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

More
06 Jan 2022 00:13 #240927 by Dirtbird
Took my clutch out and reinstalled it correctly this time with the clutch disc facing the RIGHT WAY this time. Exedy Clutch kit. They even laser-etched the words "this way facing flywheel"

So after a long day on a cold concrete garage floor, I now have a working clutch.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
06 Jan 2022 00:47 #240928 by Old Neil

Dirtbird wrote: Took my clutch out and reinstalled it correctly this time with the clutch disc facing the RIGHT WAY this time. Exedy Clutch kit. They even laser-etched the words "this way facing flywheel"

So after a long day on a cold concrete garage floor, I now have a working clutch.

Well trying to talk myself into replacing my clutch,it's been shuttering since I bought it was told it was a new clutch, what can possibly go wrong

More
06 Jan 2022 02:16 #240929 by Old Neil
Me and my big mouth

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

Time to create page: 0.383 seconds