BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What did you do to your jimny today?

More
06 Mar 2013 18:49 #64764 by pgatensuk
Fitted a Blackberry Playbook to the dash using 2 strips of Velcro and a Blackberry desk stand case. Also took 2 mins

Apologies for the rubbish photo.

I can now listen to music; podcasts and also use the GPS and mapping software amongst other things.

At the moment I am trying different mapping apps.

Paul
Hertford

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2002 Jimny Soft top - Sold
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2001 Kerry Blue Terrier - RIP
2012 GoldenDoodle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dan_w
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2013 23:21 #64817 by Dan_w
Replied by Dan_w on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Paul that look great,

I use multimap on a net book and cant recomend it enough, i dont know if it's avalible on the playbook but worth a look, I would also keep an eye on that mounted by the heater vents, the velco holding my netbook on the dash can come loose when I have the heaters on with the sticky back heating up, I would not like to see the playbook fall of there.

More
07 Mar 2013 07:11 #64826 by pgatensuk
Hi Dan,

Many thanks for multimap tip. have used multimap in the past, but these days i tend to use the OSM maps as they are free and increasingly showing more detail than our beloved ordnance Survey maps. On my cycling GPS I run both OS and OSM and switch as appropriate. (OSM often show tracks that are not on OS. - Not that useful for GLRs as you have to be so careful these days taking to the byways)

I'll have a look if Multimaps do a playbook version.

IMO the playbook is better than the iPads and Andriods we have in our house as it just so much more useful. It links in seamlessly with my Blackberry phone so I have text messages, diary, work email and home email all on the same device. I still struggle (as I do with all tablets) with the on screen keyboard and often find that that put the tablet down and reach for a PC or laptop.

I am finding some problems with the velco. The playbook has not fallen off yet, but when I remove it, it does lift some of the velco from the top of the dash. Might try the real heavy duty stuff in hope that the glue is better.

At the moment it is the podcast app that really is my fav. as i sepnd a fair amout of time in the jimjam and listening to podcast are fantastic way of passing the time.

The other big advantage of the PB over the iPad is that I could if I wanted I could get 5 for the price of 1 iPad! :laugh:

Cheers
Paul

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2002 Jimny Soft top - Sold
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2001 Kerry Blue Terrier - RIP
2012 GoldenDoodle

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2013 20:13 #65009 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic Re: What did you do to your jimny today
Just putting the finishing touches on the front bumper ready for paint

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk 2

More
10 Mar 2013 12:18 #65133 by gus2000
Hello, im extend suspension stopper bump, front and rear. (with homemade solution)

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/22-espaafa-ol/48899

And also change all transmission oils (diffs, gearbox, transfer case)

Gustavo LU2HC - Rio Cuarto (Argentina)
Jimny 1999 - 1.6 16V - SOHC
The following user(s) said Thank You: dirtydogz

• Cider
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2013 21:08 #65230 by Cider
Replied by Cider on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Fitting a Grand Vitara 1.6 engine to the Jimny

• nicho
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2013 21:15 #65232 by nicho

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2013 21:41 #65236 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: What did you do to your jimny today
Bled brakes again. Not convinced all the air is out though.

• Skinhead
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2013 21:47 #65238 by Skinhead
Replied by Skinhead on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Broke a CV thing i think :(

• Goat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2013 06:41 #65254 by Goat
Replied by Goat on topic What did you do to your jimny today

pgatensuk wrote: Hi Dan,

Many thanks for multimap tip. have used multimap in the past, but these days i tend to use the OSM maps as they are free and increasingly showing more detail than our beloved ordnance Survey maps. On my cycling GPS I run both OS and OSM and switch as appropriate. (OSM often show tracks that are not on OS. - Not that useful for GLRs as you have to be so careful these days taking to the byways)

I'll have a look if Multimaps do a playbook version.

IMO the playbook is better than the iPads and Andriods we have in our house as it just so much more useful. It links in seamlessly with my Blackberry phone so I have text messages, diary, work email and home email all on the same device. I still struggle (as I do with all tablets) with the on screen keyboard and often find that that put the tablet down and reach for a PC or laptop.

I am finding some problems with the velco. The playbook has not fallen off yet, but when I remove it, it does lift some of the velco from the top of the dash. Might try the real heavy duty stuff in hope that the glue is better.

At the moment it is the podcast app that really is my fav. as i sepnd a fair amout of time in the jimjam and listening to podcast are fantastic way of passing the time.

The other big advantage of the PB over the iPad is that I could if I wanted I could get 5 for the price of 1 iPad! :laugh:

Cheers
Paul

I use viewranger. Interface is a bit of a mess but you can buy os maps by the tile. Use it for offroad and walking.

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2013 11:47 #65534 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Installed high intensity front side lights. Absolutely brilliant (literally).

At least I can get an earlier warning of the CO's impending arrival home. But so will the mice, so instead of waiting to hear her key in the door they will start throwing themselves on the traps even earlier! :unsure:

• hypo81
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2013 15:06 #65543 by hypo81
Replied by hypo81 on topic What did you do to your jimny today
had the £3.50 shim kit back last week (thanks martin) and put them on today the medium size one on today wow what a difference stopped the death wobble awesome bit of kit .. would recommend anyone who has the death wobble to try this first

Time to create page: 0.367 seconds