BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Engine management light on all the time

• peter broadbent
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Dec 2012 05:04 #56227 by peter broadbent
Engine management light on all the time was created by peter broadbent
Engine management light on all the time. Been pluged in at Suzuki they say EGR valve not opening, changed egr valve for second hand one which had no effect, changed both sensors on exhaust and new complete exhaust fittted. Cleaned all pipes on egr system, checked all connections.
Any ideas please!!! (2003 Jimny twin cam engine)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2012 16:13 #56260 by facade
There are 2 ways to monitor the egr valve.

First is a position sensor in the valve. (doubt if the jimny has one)

Second, more likely, the ecu cracks the valve open at idle (when it should be closed) and looks for a disturbance at idle (as in a drop in revs)

This is likely the reason for the odd "miss" at idle that the early twin cams have.

Anyway, if the passages to the EGR are blocked so it doesn't work it will likely fail this test and put the light on.

If the valve sticks open, the idle is lumpy, and the CO readings are up at the pre-cat sensor.

I would clean the valve passageways and the valve itself and reset the light, then as soon as it comes on again read the codes and let us know what they are.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• peter broadbent
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Dec 2012 17:19 #56268 by peter broadbent
Replied by peter broadbent on topic Engine management light on all the time
Thanks for your reply, this thing is driving me mad. If I reset the light by disconecting the battery it stays off for two or three short trips then pops on again. I have cleaned the tubes etc, there was nothing in them. The reves do dip sometimes at idle. Suzuki dealer said it might be a broken wire and did not want to get involved further. Can you suggest any thing else i could try
Peter

More
26 Dec 2012 20:47 #56286 by facade
Get a £20 fault code reader from eBay, then you can read the fault code and reset it at the press of a button.

Could be a wiring fault I suppose, check the wiring for melted or chafed pieces, or being too tight.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Dec 2012 21:29 #56293 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic Engine management light on all the time
Hang on the suzuki dealer didnt want to get involed!?

Talk about shit service...

• peter broadbent
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2013 19:00 #56933 by peter broadbent
Hi, got code reader off ebay, fault code reads po400 "Exhaust gas recirculation flow"
I have cleaned all tubes and checked for free flow, I have changed the EGR valve for one I know to be good and also tested the original one which also tests out OK. The car has a new exhaust, cat and both sensors.
Have reset the light with the gadget and it has come back on after two short trips.
Can any one help? this is driving me mad not to mention the cost

More
02 Jan 2013 20:48 #56960 by facade
Inlet leak?

What is the idle speed?

Check that the rubber pipe from the side of the inlet manifold to the vacuum valves under the battery is intact.

• suzuki jimny fella
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2013 21:51 #56974 by suzuki jimny fella
Replied by suzuki jimny fella on topic Engine management light on all the time
i noticed my light flash on and off it happend about 5 times in 2 years now is that normal of it flashing thanks

• Barnyzuki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2013 13:12 #57042 by Barnyzuki
Replied by Barnyzuki on topic Engine management light on all the time
Mine does this, about 30 minutes after getting up to full operating temperature the idle dips and feels like it`s going to stall, then the engine management light comes on.

Idle goes back to normal, car drives as normal, I ignore it completely.

Leave it overnight and the light goes off.

Repeat process :)

• peter broadbent
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2013 18:06 #57206 by peter broadbent
idle speed when started cold is about 1400 and drops to 1000 when warmed up, cant see anything wrong with vacuum pipe from manifold!!!
any more ideas please

More
05 Jan 2013 18:49 #57207 by mlines
See attached

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:

• mattssiow
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jun 2019 11:25 #210253 by mattssiow
Replied by mattssiow on topic Engine management light on all the time
Did you get any joy with this, I have same problem

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds