BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Not very good in the wet on roads?

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2012 16:11 #48870 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
possibly, if its cracking it could have got a bit hard ( :blush: ) which certainly would reduce its grip.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thatbigbloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2012 19:07 #48893 by thatbigbloke
Replied by thatbigbloke on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
haha, i have the same issue, mind you, i find it easier to drive a car that im expecting the backend to drift on wet roads, because then when it doesnt, its a bonus

More
06 Oct 2012 21:07 #49649 by kirkynut
I realise this thread is getting on abit but I've not been on here for a while so catching up - I think the issue is with the tyres hardening as they are old - I have a similar issue on my normal road car at the moment as the rear tyres have not worn quickly and the tyres are so old they have hardened.

I had Duellers on my old Jimny and can't say i had issue with them and my mother in law had them before me and then an 07 Jimny with them on which sha had no issues with but then again it did slide off the road into a tree and got written off - but there was diesel on the road with that!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
07 Oct 2012 19:15 #49693 by mcjimny
As above, iirc tyres have a 3 year lifespan regardless of mileage.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
10 Oct 2012 08:47 #49897 by Foxtrot
I have had 4 Jimnys since 2001 and never had any problems with the Duellers, , as the rest say just make sure your tyre pressures and trad depth is ok. I changed out my last Jimny for Grabbers AT2s which were a great tyre but the forfeit was losing 8 mpg

• Orangeherald
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 22:54 #50052 by Orangeherald
Replied by Orangeherald on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
I was wondering why so many people had trouble with Duellers. When I got my Jimny it had its original ones on, 4-5mm tread, but cracking badly, 7 years old. It had a new set 15000 miles ago, and they are fine. Driven in dry, damp, wet, flooded, snow, ice, mud, dirt etc. Never caused me any trouble, except on smooth ice like everyone else! I think the clue may be in the stupid things I see people doing on borderline roads surfaces. Thats stupid to me anyway. You cant get away with those liberties in a) a rear wheel drive car, and b) especially in a tall, short wheelbase low geared rear wheel drive car with quite firm suspension! I speak as someone with probably half a million miles experience of rear wheel drive vehicles. Only had 2 front wheel drives in 40 years experience! I have noticed that Duellers squeal on highly polished surfaces, like car parks, when turning at very low speeds. I think thats just a product of small block treads and that tight turning circle.

• thatbigbloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2012 14:35 #50320 by thatbigbloke
Replied by thatbigbloke on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
i like going side ways, its funn :laugh:

• Jimnyash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2012 17:53 #50336 by Jimnyash
Replied by Jimnyash on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?

Foxtrot wrote: ...I changed out my last Jimny for Grabbers AT2s which were a great tyre but the forfeit was losing 8 mpg

Ouch!

I have had the tail end out with AT2s on a roundabout tho.

More
02 Dec 2012 20:30 #54692 by Basketcase
i noticed on mine when it was wet with my origional dueller tyres in 2wd in the wet if you take any corner in 2nd or 3rd gear it slides but i recently put 235/75's malatesta kobra m/t tyres on it and now no matter what i do in a corner it just doesnt slide! with the duellers i just drove in 4wd on wet roads and have had no problems with my gearbox windup or anything like that. My jim is an 07 reg so what was said earlier in this blog about it only being on the earlier models could be true but there was a leaflet in my car when i got it which mentioned the wind up but i just ignored it..hope that helped in any way

• SOTA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2012 21:44 #54704 by SOTA
Replied by SOTA on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
Mine drifts a bit on the occasional wet corner, a little bit of opposite lock and she's fine.

• Jimnyadmirer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2012 21:55 #54706 by Jimnyadmirer
Replied by Jimnyadmirer on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
since ive had mine Ive had no problems with it being tail happy in all the wet weather we've had....,maybe im taking it too easy??? haha. I have a pretty much new set of Yoko Geolandars A/T's on the back...seem to be quite grippy...

Did have some fun last night in a local disused car part in 2H in the snow/Ice...... :laugh:

• Jimny J
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2012 00:01 #54716 by Jimny J
Replied by Jimny J on topic Not very good in the wet on roads?
I used to be able to get the rear end out a bit in the wet, usually coming off mini roundabouts if I was at a decent rpm in 2nd, but having since fitted 1 inch wheel spacers there is a noticeable increase in rear end traction. Cant remember what tyres are fitted though, just general road type.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds