BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Sound deadening

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2012 07:59 #33621 by Sandez
Replied by Sandez on topic Re: Sound deadening

Keefe wrote: These'll do for me.
;)

:laugh:

Do you also have one of these installed Keefe?

Attachment ControlYoke01.jpge5ceae12-3074-447d-8fdf-bb2a5d8bfc60Larger.jpg not found

:laugh:

Definitely some good advice, thanks all. Its encouraging to see others have done it with good success.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2012 10:00 #33626 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Sound deadening
Funnily enough, Yes! :cheer:

K :)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2012 10:49 #33627 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Sound deadening

Keefe wrote: Funnily enough, Yes! :cheer:

K :)

thats flash and you've converted the jimny to left hand drive as well - bit nicer than the standard dash :P

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2012 11:35 #33628 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: Sound deadening
Does it play MP3s ? :P

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2012 14:07 #33634 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Sound deadening
No but my headset has bluetooth.
Play all the music on my phone, make calls, all without having to go 'hands off'. :woohoo:
;)

More
24 Feb 2019 18:03 #203769 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Sound deadening
I am planning to sound proof my Jimny by installing sound insulating / deadening and absorbing materials.

I have a few questions at the moment.

When I removed the carpet from the cabin floor, I noticed three things:

Most of the front floor surface (from below the dash board to the step in front of the rear seats) is factory coated with bare bituminous material. I do not know if earlier Jimnys have this much bitumenous sound deadening coating on the floor. Mine was made in 2012 for the German market.

About 66% of the carpet surface is covered from below with 15 mm thick "cotton-like scrap" material. It appears that everyone names it differently. Some of the names: felt, fleece, cotton dew ...

A significant part of this "felt" material was slightly wet upon touch, and that correlates with significant rust blisters in the floor wherever some seam or panel joint is (although the vehicle is only 7 years old and has never left tarmac).
A contributing factor to this wetness of the material is probably that the vehicle has always been driven with carpet front floor mats, instead of rubber floor mats ...

My questions are:

Since this bare bituminous material is obviously el-cheapo factory work just to get some deadening done, would it be recommended to remove it all and install proper high-quality alubutyl sound deadening sheets instead? Does anyone know if this factory material is bitumen at all or something else in fact?
Butyl generally is a much better vibration deadening material than bitumen, and the aluminium foil on top of it improves its performance further more.
However, I am worried if it would be possible to properly "imbue" the alubutyl panels to the uneven front section of the vehicle floor. Has anyone done it?
Also, how difficult is it to remove this factory bitumen coating from the floor?

Has anyone else experienced moisture / rust accumulation issues under the carpet with this factory cotton scrap felt?
Would it make sense to remove all this cotton scrap felt from the carpet and install proper waterproof (closed cell) sound proofing foam below the carpet?
How thick could it be before I run into problems with fitting the carpet back into place? Since the current cotton scrap felt is 15 mm thick, I was thinking that 20 mm should still be OK. What about something even thicker?

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2019 19:22 #203779 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Sound deadening

Bosanek wrote: I am planning to sound proof my Jimny by installing sound insulating / deadening and absorbing materials.

I have a few questions at the moment.

When I removed the carpet from the cabin floor, I noticed three things:

Most of the front floor surface (from below the dash board to the step in front of the rear seats) is factory coated with bare bituminous material. I do not know if earlier Jimnys have this much bitumenous sound deadening coating on the floor. Mine was made in 2012 for the German market.

About 66% of the carpet surface is covered from below with 15 mm thick "cotton-like scrap" material. It appears that everyone names it differently. Some of the names: felt, fleece, cotton dew ...

A significant part of this "felt" material was slightly wet upon touch, and that correlates with significant rust blisters in the floor wherever some seam or panel joint is (although the vehicle is only 7 years old and has never left tarmac).
A contributing factor to this wetness of the material is probably that the vehicle has always been driven with carpet front floor mats, instead of rubber floor mats ...

My questions are:

Since this bare bituminous material is obviously el-cheapo factory work just to get some deadening done, would it be recommended to remove it all and install proper high-quality alubutyl sound deadening sheets instead? Does anyone know if this factory material is bitumen at all or something else in fact?
Butyl generally is a much better vibration deadening material than bitumen, and the aluminium foil on top of it improves its performance further more.
However, I am worried if it would be possible to properly "imbue" the alubutyl panels to the uneven front section of the vehicle floor. Has anyone done it?
Also, how difficult is it to remove this factory bitumen coating from the floor?

Has anyone else experienced moisture / rust accumulation issues under the carpet with this factory cotton scrap felt?
Would it make sense to remove all this cotton scrap felt from the carpet and install proper waterproof (closed cell) sound proofing foam below the carpet?
How thick could it be before I run into problems with fitting the carpet back into place? Since the current cotton scrap felt is 15 mm thick, I was thinking that 20 mm should still be OK. What about something even thicker?

Cant answer all youre questuons, but in my 2006 , ive used sound deadning bitumen mats (from a car stereo shop) on the entire floor from front seats and back to the rear door, on inside of both front doors, rear side panels, and alittlebit in the rear door.

A very big difference from stock noise levels. Especially rear side panels and rear floor/wheel wells did most of the change..
Car feels more solid, and you dont get all the noise from sand/rocks in the wheel wells that makes the stock jimny sound like a tin can.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Feb 2019 19:31 #203780 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Sound deadening
I did look at the options for doing similar and eventually decided that really a Jimny on road tyres isn't sufficiently loud to warrant the expense and effort. It's never going to be rolls Royce quiet unless you add that much sound deadening that it can hardly move under the weight of it. Besides the little clicks bangs and buzzes add character.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Mar 2019 20:50 - 08 Mar 2019 20:52 #204325 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Sound deadening
OlaGB,
when you stripped your car's interior to add the vibration deadening bitumen sheets, did you encounter significant floor surface coverage with existing factory bitumen coating on the floor below the front seats and below the rear seat bench?

If you did, what did you do with it?
Did you remove it and then apply your own coating, or just left it like that and applied the coating just to non-factory covered areas, or applied your coating on top of the factory coating?

Also, after you were done, were all the interior body panels close to 100% percent covered with sound deadening plates or were the significant areas (which) that you did not cover?
Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 20:52 by Bosanek.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2019 21:09 - 08 Mar 2019 21:09 #204327 by OlaGB

Bosanek wrote: OlaGB,
when you stripped your car's interior to add the vibration deadening bitumen sheets, did you encounter significant floor surface coverage with existing factory bitumen coating on the floor below the front seats and below the rear seat bench?

If you did, what did you do with it?
Did you remove it and then apply your own coating, or just left it like that and applied the coating just to non-factory covered areas, or applied your coating on top of the factory coating?

Also, after you were done, were all the interior body panels close to 100% percent covered with sound deadening plates or were the significant areas (which) that you did not cover?

Where there was stock bitumen mats, i just put mine on top of them.

The entire floor from backdoor is covered, all the way down to the floor in front of the rear seat. The rear wheel wells are also covered, and they are important to get rid of the noise from sand and rocks from the wheels.
On the outer plate of doors and outmost rear sidepanels, i didnt cover100%, but as much as i could reach basicly..

Could have done alot more, but i didnt see the point of adding loads of weight for another few percent more silencing.
I believe i have covered the panels that really matters. Just knock on the panels before/after, and you will know what i mean :)
Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 21:09 by OlaGB.

More
12 Mar 2019 21:25 #204501 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Sound deadening

Don't forget the roof :D
Attachments:

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2019 15:17 #204524 by OlaGB

Keithy wrote:

Don't forget the roof :D

Soo tempting when i was at it, but didnt want to mess up the roof liner.. Read several places that its a biatch to remove/install!

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds