BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Sound deadening

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2012 06:31 - 14 Feb 2012 06:45 #33428 by Sandez
Sound deadening was created by Sandez
I seem to have alot of road noise in the cabin which is probably partly contributed by removing the rear seats. I am planning on installing a rear drawer system however, as I don't plan on it being easily removable, I wanted to do what I can underneath before I do it. One of the things I want to do is install sound deadener to make the Jimny a more comfortable (future) tourer.

We all know the Jimny hasn't got a good sound system nor is it designed for one so all I'm mainly after is reducing road noise, mainly in the rear. I don't want to spend hundreds of $$$'s and was only budgeting max of $100 (~£60) as I have more important things to purchase first.

Everywhere I look people have mixed opinions, the obvious general consensus is you get what you pay for (yes I know I'll probably get the same opinions here too). In general from what I read you need CLD tiles to stop the panels from resonating (more due to high powered/sound systems) and some vinyl to block the sound.

As I am doing this on the cheap, what I thought about was using a few of these from Jaycar followed by some carpet underlay or similar. Then I read about the paint on body deadener (again some say is good, others dont). Then the brain started working and I put 2 and 2 together and thought about applying a coat or 2 of the paint on deadener, then another layer as a form of glue for the underlay on the side panels.

And that is where I'm at. What are your thoughts? Or what would you do instead for a similar price?
Last edit: 14 Feb 2012 06:45 by Sandez.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2012 06:58 #33429 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Re: Sound deadening
You could use self adhesive lead flashing from a DIY shop - does a similar job to Dynamat at a fraction of the cost. GIven that the boot floor can be susceptible to rust the last thing I'd want to do is to glue underlay to it 'cos if it gets damp it will stay damp for a long time, and trapped moisture is rusts best friend.

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2012 07:09 #33430 by Sandez
Replied by Sandez on topic Re: Sound deadening
Thats a fair point. Maybe if its only glued on the sides and not in corners or glued to the floor. Wouldn't it be the same for those putting deadener everywhere? Since vinyl is a material that 'sweats'. Wouldn't the first couple coats of deadener also protect the panels from rust? I'm more looking at deadening the wheel arches and the insides of the rear quarter panels. The boot floor already has deadener on it, as its a 07 model, and ill just be laying the underlay ontop. Ill certainly look into the flashing tho

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2012 07:29 #33431 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Sound deadening
I sound deadened the whole rear of a mitsubishi colt I had once. I used a layer of the dynamat stuff and then a layer of the foam sound insulation stuff. Dynamat is hugely expensive so I bought a big box of different brand from a car stereo place which was just as good but a third of the price. (think it was this caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/12400.html obvious no good for you in Aus though)

I looked into the paint on stuff and although it seemed to get good reviews it looked like it was going to be very smelly and takes ages to dry (which is fine if you have somewhere safe to keep your car with the windows open but I didn't...)

The result was OK but it wasn't a huge difference if I'm honest.
Would it be worth will taking off the covers over the arches and just filling them with rags or loft insulation or something cheap to see if it makes any difference?

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
14 Feb 2012 07:39 #33432 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Re: Sound deadening
I'm into VW transporters, all the guys that convert to campers use the self adhesive lead flashing 'flashband' they call it, they put it everywhere, all over the floor, wheelarches, in the door panels etc. does make a lot of difference.

Gary

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2012 09:32 - 14 Feb 2012 09:33 #33433 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: Sound deadening
I've used products from StP (StandartPlast): stp-distribution.com/

They have a distributor in the UK. Cheaper than Dynamat and Hushmat, same quality in my opinion. Their Youtube channel has some useful instructions: www.youtube.com/STPDistribution (well, it's obvious that they'd want you to bullet-proof the car with all their products, but you can sort out what you need and what you don't).

I've done:
- rubberised foam over the plastic rear bits to stop them squeaking
- thick sponge in the rear for sound insulation
- bituminous self-adhesive plates over every metal sheet that could vibrate/buzz

You can see them here . After that, I noise-insulated the front floors, see it here .

Quite happy now, still have to do the doors and that's it - most quiet Jimny in the world :laugh:
Last edit: 14 Feb 2012 09:33 by VAXXi.

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2012 10:04 #33434 by Sandez

goatboy wrote: Would it be worth will taking off the covers over the arches and just filling them with rags or loft insulation or something cheap to see if it makes any difference?

Good idea, I might see whats lying around the parents place to shove in there to see if thats the main culprit.

I'm not gonna try and cut the sound out completely, but it almost sounds like theres a hole in the back the metal must be that thin, so I kinda want to reduce that, anything is an improvement.

The lead flashing seems like it has the same effect as the CLD tiles, but cheaper. I might get a bit of it, or something similar, but its outright noise I want to try and get rid of rather than panels resonating.

Vaxxi, looks like you have spent alot on your install, as much as I would love to be able to afford all that, I cant. How much has it cost if you dont mind me asking? Must feel like a $50000 car with how solid everything sounds!

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2012 10:12 #33435 by Sandez

VAXXi wrote: Bituminous material for the arches and side panels:

File Attachment:

That's what I want to do as this is where I think most of the noise would be coming from! Just on a cheaper scale and with some MLV (Mass loaded vinyl) or similar, hence the carpet underlay and paint on body deadener. But now talking about it I might skip the paint and go either the lead flashing or the Jaycar deadener

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2012 10:42 - 14 Feb 2012 10:42 #33437 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: Sound deadening
Actually, no - that's why I mentioned the StP Youtube tutorials, I learned a bit from them.

The bitumen material is there to keep the thin sheet metal from vibrating, as it's quite heavy (about 1-1,5 kg per A4 sized sheet) - makes your music sound better. If you want to insulate noise from the engine/transmission/outsite, you want the rubbery sponge stuff, as thick as possible of course. Looking at stp-distribution.com/products.html will give you an idea about the materials you want to look.

I did not spent so much as you'd think; all materials for the above were under 150-200 EUR if I remember correctly. Even now it doesn't sound at all like a 50k$ car (as the Jim is quite close to an agricultural machine :P), but it's a big improvement - especially on long trips.

Looking back, if you want just sound insulation: do the boot floor (as it's just a thin sheet of metal separating the inside from the transmission and road) and the front floor (again, transmission and road) with thick carpeting similar to what you can see above and see after that. In my opinion, stick away from liquid materials; they usually stink, cannot be applied properly when it's cold/wet and don't really see how you can take them off if desired (with the sticky stuff, you can use a heat gun and patience at least).
Last edit: 14 Feb 2012 10:42 by VAXXi.

• blakey2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2012 12:14 #33442 by blakey2000
Replied by blakey2000 on topic Re: Sound deadening
i dunno where in aus you are but go to Clark Rubber, they sell the perfect stuff you need for sound deadening they have a few sizes and types one that is just the spongy rubber soundeadener, and another that is the same but with heat shield (aluminium foil) i put 15mm in mine with the foil about $35 a meter or about 30 for same size without, you need about 2.5M for entire car, its not that easally compressed but you can go the 10mm and it will be better then the larger one that i got as it pushes your carpet up and misshapes it a bit but i dont notice it,

I have pictures of how i did it as well but i cant post them till tomorow.

i also used bitumen sound deadener on the wheel arches,

bitumen stops thesound actually transfering through the panel (Vibrations) the spongy stuff absorbes the sound waves. as there is alot of space the pressure waves gets lost in it so to speak.

i would advis against glueing the sponge down as it could possible hold water and rust your floor.

I also used a Rubber spray on sound deadenner and rust protectant, mostly for rust protection but it also has deadening properties,

if your on the cheap i sugest you get a paint on one, supercheap sells 4L for about $40-50and that would get you at least 2 coats, helping with sound heat and rust.

ill get you my pics of my jimny wheni can get to them.

mines alittle over the top but i cant hear any road noise besies through the windows.(pretty hard to stop that).

• blakey2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2012 20:40 #33483 by blakey2000
Replied by blakey2000 on topic Re: Sound deadening
Here is the pictures of what i did, i sprayed the floor with a rubberised coating (from SuperCheap), dryes hard. Its a 3M product i think it was called Car Guard

Attachment 383019_10150454238834435_648084434_8158110_793424150_n.jpg not found

but if your doing it cheap id sugest this Body Deadener

I used a 15mm rubber sponge with foil (from Clark Rubber) doesnt exactly matter what way around it goes but if you get the foil one go foil down as it makes the carpet slipery

Clark Rubber

Attachment 419266_10150599238719435_648084434_8627261_999153338_n.jpg not found

then i did the doors and rear quaters in bitumen sound deadener sheets, yes i use the most expensive pretty much of dynamat, but i had 2 boxes that have been lieing around for a year or 2.

Attachment 381448_10150494126669435_648084434_8322700_1880738906_n.jpg not found

Attachment 392083_10150479522064435_648084434_8257807_1309332807_n.jpg not found

Attachment 420786_10150599229829435_648084434_8627253_955319359_n.jpg not found

Attachments:

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2012 21:10 - 15 Feb 2012 05:41 #33486 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Sound deadening
These'll do for me.
;)

:laugh:

Seriously though, some good tips here!
:)
Last edit: 15 Feb 2012 05:41 by Keefe.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds