BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

235/85-16 on Stock Suspension, No Body Lift & All Original Panels

More
20 Apr 2022 02:31 - 20 Apr 2022 02:48 #243003 by Rabid Rhino
Time to finish this build.
Wheels. Tibus actually recommend a wheel supplier & size: 16x6.5 with a 59mm offset.
I went with a 16x7 still with the 59mm offset.
I wasn't expecting the price... 5 rims were over half the price if all 4 portals which make the Tibus boxes seem like a bargain..
plus there was a 2 month lead time for the rim manufacturer where as the portals were available immediately.

Most of my 4x4s have a theme. This one is no exception But I need to see how finances pan out. So close but still so far to go.

Apparently these beadlocks are street legal.

I do like the steel liners in the stud holes. 

I was going for the RAF Rondel & hoping I could get the tyres off to MrWhitewalls for a dark blue wall but I ran out of time so just have to do it myself.

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Apr 2022 02:48 by Rabid Rhino.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2022 02:51 - 20 Apr 2022 02:52 #243004 by Rabid Rhino
The guys I bought the tyrex off were to afraid to mount them on my fancy rims incase they damaged them. Same for a couple of other places so in stepped Dean once again as friends of his had just got a new mounting machine.

Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2022 02:52 by Rabid Rhino.

More
20 Apr 2022 03:01 #243006 by Rabid Rhino
Putting the wheels on the car i noticed the chamfer on the Braid wheel nut holes are way bigger that the stock Suzuki nuts so I called Braid who got a full set out in the mail to me. FoC.

Attachments:

More
20 Apr 2022 03:05 #243007 by Rabid Rhino

Attachments:

More
20 Apr 2022 03:09 #243008 by Rabid Rhino
This is the real reason I got the Portals...
Clearance. The kind to never fear landrover rutts ever again.

Attachments:

More
20 Apr 2022 03:17 #243009 by Rabid Rhino
The real measure is the tale of the tape.

I got another tape and measured the total length....  15.5" 
Take off 0.25" for a slight bend as the tape was jammed in there under tension & you sill have 15.25" minimum clearance at the diff on 31.5" tyres.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Apr 2022 03:26 #243010 by Lambert
Very nice! Love the cheeky bit of tyre stick out, makes it look like something American on one tons.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rabid Rhino

More
20 Apr 2022 07:14 #243011 by Soeley
Looks great, nice work.

I had also read the Portals were a bolt-on kit, but if you have to weld and drill out holes, it's not really reversible if you wanted to put it back to standard to sell on.

More
20 Apr 2022 15:30 #243017 by jackonlyjack
Nice amount of clearance gained 
Looks like rears will rub.....are you going to fit longer rear radius arms and propshaft 
looks good though well done 

More
21 Apr 2022 01:05 #243022 by Rabid Rhino
Soley...
A friend of mine recently broke a 1999 Jimny.
I bought both axles with radius arms, gearbox & transfer case for £400.
I wish I'd had the spare set to work on off the car first so the car wouldn't have been out of commission for so long..

Jack...
I think the rear needs to go back 2 or even 3"
I was thinking about new radius arm mounts behind the existing ones. Same for the Panhard & shock mounts. I even wanted to cut off the coil mount & move it as well. 
Then Dean who did so much, stepped in & suggested coilovers for simplicity which I'm leaning towards.
Do the lifted radius arms move the axle back that much ? I wouldn't think they do as the coil stays put. I have seen some "S" shaped coils on some kits which I don't like.

I'm away from home right now but as soon as I get return... that axle is going back.
I'm sure 33s will fit.
I think even a skinny 35s may fisuggested. move the front axle forward 0.5 to 1" by redrilling the mounts as someone here suggested.

More
21 Apr 2022 01:17 #243023 by Rabid Rhino
Spare parts bag !!!!

Attachments:

More
21 Apr 2022 01:50 - 21 Apr 2022 01:51 #243024 by Rabid Rhino
We couldn't see where they would go.... initially.. then found them in the instructions although no mention of them, just a pic.

I emailed the Tibus guys and they said that they're just to keep the axle shafts in place & doesn't matter that I missed them out & that they can stay out.

Bishop Bullwinkle says it best about how I feel about that answer.

youtube.com/shorts/-K7fCQlUhj0?feature=share

I think I can remove the whole outside of the casing with the hub still on.
Fingets crossed.

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Apr 2022 01:51 by Rabid Rhino.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds