BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Turbo M16A Jimny

More
06 Mar 2022 17:50 #242163 by Motleycrew
Replied by Motleycrew on topic Turbo M16A Jimny
Tbh what I know changes by the hour! Steep learning curve but rewarding

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2022 18:39 #242164 by Motleycrew
Did most of the wiring today, ECU connector 90% complete. Have ended doing it all myself and it’s pretty straight forward. Definitely recommend the online course by HPA (high performance academy) I did the wiring fundamentals course and it’s been invaluable. Also wired the coolant and air intake temp. Will get a auto electrician to double check at the end as I darent risk frying the ECU.
Attachments:

More
06 Mar 2022 18:54 #242165 by Motleycrew
Took the idle control valve off (actually used a mallet and chisel to remove the connector and solenoid as I didn’t have a bit for the Japanese star bit. Then unscrewed the housing which was a absolute pain as the intake manifold headers were obstructing the screws. Will try a see if a local machine shop can make a blanking plate. 
Attachments:

More
10 Mar 2022 14:25 #242225 by Motleycrew
Plate made 
Attachments:

More
12 Mar 2022 17:29 #242273 by Motleycrew
Wired up relays and loosely put idle control plate as I am waiting for sealant to arrive. Going to buy a cheap heat gun to shrink wrap all these connectors 
Attachments:

More
17 Mar 2022 17:41 - 17 Mar 2022 17:42 #242365 by Motleycrew
Very boring update that the silicone finally arrived. Car is booked into dyno for 4th April. Will plug in Ecu and configure some of it when I am feeling brave. Figured I can remove the fuse for the main relay and also the fuse that does the coils and fuel pump. This means I can tell the ECU what auxillary output is each relay. This avoids all these things just turning on as the ECU would just ground them. Not sure if the fuel pump would want to be primed that long. I am using the 4x4 solenoid wires for the ECU power.
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2022 17:42 by Motleycrew.

More
17 Mar 2022 17:45 - 17 Mar 2022 17:47 #242366 by Motleycrew
Some pictures of the old girl
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2022 17:47 by Motleycrew.

More
17 Mar 2022 17:50 #242368 by Motleycrew
Need to attach a wire to that shielding and connect to a specific pin on the ECU (shield ground) waiting for some more connectors.
Attachments:

More
01 Apr 2022 18:28 #242668 by Motleycrew
Jimny has been transported to the garage with the Dyno, I am going there tomorrow to show what I have done etc. hope I have done it properly. In hindsight I would of not used crimp connectors as it’s harder to inspect the connection and potentially you can crimp the insulation and make a poor connection. The morning It went I noticed some silly errors I made, and was frantically re-wiring it.

I spoke to a Suzuki swift tuning company on the subject of spark plugs the other day and I asked what power the standard m16a can take. They said that the M16a from the swift sport is good to around 180-200 BHP. After that the cylinder liners can slide and people mistake it for the head bolts lifting. He said my engine will be better as it has a low compression ratio ( non VVT Liana has 9.7:1) that means that it will be more resistant to Pre-detonation (knock).I asked about forging and he said it’s really expensive on a m16a, as company’s don’t sell loads so the prices are really high. So engine swaps become more feasible. I am not chasing huge power but I want to get the most I can

More
01 Apr 2022 18:43 #242669 by Motleycrew
Was thinking I might put a electric water pump and electric fan, something like this:

daviescraig.com.au/electric-water-pumps

More
02 Apr 2022 10:26 - 02 Apr 2022 10:28 #242679 by Motleycrew
Visited dyno and they were happy with what I had done. He is going to start it tomorrow and is excited to do it, which is always a good sign. Took some pictures of some of the cars there. The MR2 is the rare supercharged version. I always wanted a Toyota celica gt4 as I had a Tamiya kit car as a child.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2022 10:28 by Motleycrew.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Scimike, Soeley

More
02 Apr 2022 11:23 #242680 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Turbo M16A Jimny
Still here reading with interest, not saying much as you are in uncharted territory for me.
Good luck on the Dyno.
Early MR2 my cup of tea, nice and rare for just being a MK1 even without the supercharger, bet it sounds great.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motleycrew

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds