BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Giving the Jimny a birthday

More
02 Apr 2021 09:53 #234189 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday
To loosen rusted bolts and nuts I can recommend an induction heater. This also might have helped you with your calipers. I use this one:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2021 11:08 #234194 by Mike G
Replied by Mike G on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday
I was actually looking at these yesterday.  Much better option than forking out a grand or so for a gas axe set up. I'm replacing most bolts with stainless, so hoping 'next time' won't be so bad. I'll definitely chuck one of those in my basket in future and give it a try.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

More
02 Apr 2021 11:16 #234195 by RainerK
If you replace your bolts with stainless make sure to all grase them on the thread. Otherwise they seize up, almost for sure. And they usually have less strength so do not use them on structurally important places.

Maybe better are bolts that are properly galvanized.

More
02 Apr 2021 11:19 #234196 by RainerK
The (in my opinion only) advantage of a gas burner is that it can also heat up the outside and sometimes this is much better than heating from the inside.

More
02 Apr 2021 12:06 #234200 by Mike G

RainerK wrote: The (in my opinion only) advantage of a gas burner is that it can also heat up the outside and sometimes this is much better than heating from the inside.

Well, I think it will have to be an addition for the toolbox as I can always pop over to my mates who has the gas axe if I get stuck.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

More
02 Apr 2021 12:27 #234201 by Roger Fairclough
Also gas has the advantage of being able to braze.

Roger

More
05 Apr 2021 16:39 #234266 by Mike G
Did a few jobs this weekend
  • confirmed my AC gauge set was not leaking and identified a small leak on the AC system.  However, could be due to the system not being used for so long, it's not sealing correctly.  So I'll have to half charge it with dye and identify it.
  • Drilled out ABS sensor bolts on front hubs and reclaimed the holes to be used again.
  • Drilled out and retapped 2 bolts on the AC condenser mounting bracket
  • kingpin bearings plus shaft seals renewed and hubs refitted to front axle
  • wiped down plastics inside car as they were very dusty
  • shampooed head liner inside car to remove unwanted 'welding scent'
  • fabricated two more brackets for the ABS cable on the rear trailing arms
  • fitted ABS sensor cable to front axle with p-clips
  • partially fitted hub vacuum hose as I ran out of clips
Today, as the weather is terrible and snowing, I've been inside designing and 3D printing some brackets for the hub vacuum hose and also clips to replace the old fuel line and brake line holders running along the chassis.  Not going to win any design awards, but at least I've done something semi productive today.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Apr 2021 03:17 #234272 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday
Looking good.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Apr 2021 12:24 #234292 by Mike G
Thanks Lambert,

It's just taking forever to do the last jobs.  Still waiting for the new arches, so can't do anyhting until I can see how the bumpers line up. In case I need to redrill them.  This bout of snow the past few days has put a stop to work tho.

More
10 Apr 2021 08:02 #234367 by jackonlyjack
Fantastic to see so much love go into your jimny diy style
Hat's off to you great work 

More
10 Apr 2021 18:28 #234377 by Mike G
Thanks Jack,

It's never going to be perfect, but it's nice to save a small fortune by applying some knowledge and getting a similar result to what I want.  I've also enjoyed learning some new skills and techniques along the way.  However, there's still a long ways to go yet as I've got to modify the front and rear bumpers to match the new arches, a lot of faffing around with filler paste and sandpaper unfortunately.

More
13 Apr 2021 22:42 - 20 Apr 2021 20:01 #234456 by Mike G
Jobs done over the weekend
  • secured the hub vac silicone hoses using my 3d printed brackets design
  • secured brake and fuel lines using my 3d printed brackets design
  • serviced brake calipers, painted them orange and fitted them to the jimny
  • fitted steering rod and tracking rod
  • realligned steering to centre steering wheel
  • fitted steel wheels
  • fabricated washers for interior components fitment to new boot floor
Jobs done today
  • fitted rear light clusters back on
  • fitted plastic interior trim for rear
  • fitted rear seats (seats aren't going in, but the plastic liner I have for the back sits on them)
  • ran in and tie wrapped breather pipes for axles, g/box and t/box (still need to fit the manifold somewhere in the engine bay)
  • painted slam panel with a coat of primer
Jobs for the rest of the week:
too many to mention because I keep adding them on all the time    I'll get some pics of what I've done as I usually leave the phone in the house to prevent distraction when working.

Last edit: 20 Apr 2021 20:01 by Mike G.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds