BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Tread Lightly

More
30 Mar 2020 13:50 #220470 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Tread Lightly
Jackonlyjack has become a laning buddy alongside a few other forum members, we live local to each other around Mansfield. I know that if I ever need help with anything on the car, Jack will step forward, as well as being a nice bloke, he loves Jimny's...

When I heard that Jack was joining the Peak & Dukeries LandRover Club there was a little bit of me that thought he had gone to the dark side......... It was with some relief, I later found that he was joining the Peak & Dukeries Off Road Club. To do so, you must join the LRC and then specify the ORC.

Driving off road trials was the aim of Jacks flurry with the Landrovers and praise be, it would be in his Jimny R&B. I joined him on his first days competing and also joined the club so that I could "navigate" or at least squeal at scary bits......

He went on to win the open group this year, sadly without me...

A change in circumstances meant I could no longer take the time at weekends to go with Jack. Trialling was very interesting to me though and I vowed to at least give it a go.....

So that's the plan for what will be next year now.

Peak & Dukeries Off Road Club, standby, there's another Suzuki coming to the start line.....

You'll see the recovery points that are being fitted during the conversion.

sniper
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2020 16:08 #220475 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Tread Lightly
Thanks for the nice words in these troubling times
Will be good to see you compete in your newly prepared truck
Maybe we can convince some of the darkside drivers to GO Suzuki :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
30 Mar 2020 16:58 #220476 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Tread Lightly
Looking GREAT Sniper!

I think the debate of pickup 'v' trayback is more of a persona decision... it needs to be what you want and need out of it at the end of the day..?

On mine I needed the position for the rear winch, and everything else had to fit around that - somewhere for the battery, spare wheel, waffle boards, etc... Whilst still looking how I wanted it to end up at the end of the day...

I had a good Google though, and came up with these two images -

I'm liking the look of a pickup bed with some secure storage afforded by an enclosed rear?...
Attachments:

More
30 Mar 2020 17:41 #220477 by sniper
I have little interest in practical uses for the Jimny Dave, I love the look of a pick up bed but don't want the weight.... I'd do it, if I had a practical use for it or even if the future sale was a concern. It would certainly give the best return....

The car was bought with one duty, getting our girt if she had any problems with her transport. She's a nurse and her office is in Chesterfield and covers the Peaks. So long as I have got two seats and I can go get her after a snow storm, it's all good.

That leaves me to cage it, again weight is a concern... or just carry the spare (fave at mo, finances are tight too).

Sat at the computer waiting for todays update.... like a kid at xmas....

sniper

More
30 Mar 2020 19:44 #220481 by Jimny Dr
Replied by Jimny Dr on topic Tread Lightly
Good evening sniper perhaps a truck body with the same mounting points on the chassis for a tray back could be the way forward the way it could be utilised for both opinions. Daily updates have been sent and it’s looking good
The doc

More
30 Mar 2020 20:40 #220482 by sniper
Hello Doc, welcome to the forum.

I got the video but the forum doesn't support the format it is in..... amazing for a days work.

Can't wait to share pictures of what you've done, it looks great. I've looked at a few options for the back end, money as usual is the driving factor.

sniper

More
30 Mar 2020 21:44 #220485 by sniper
A few pictures that got lost...

sniper
Attachments:

More
31 Mar 2020 13:20 #220511 by sniper
The decision has been made.....

Trayback it is..... The full roll cage and trayback kit is on order from WKD, should be here in 14 days or straight to Terry's workshop. He will be welding and fitting the cage.

I'm hoping as Jack suggested, to fit the spare wheel below the tray, directly above the fuel tank.

As I have mentioned, this is being done on a shoestring budget. I understood that the back of the car would be rough, just legal requirements met with regards mud guards and lights. Left for me to finish.... Terry called me and it was evident that he was frustrated to not be completing the car, understanding his position (it's never nice to half finish a job), I was sympathising with Terry, I'm frustrated at my own lack of cash too....Seeing the car finished was looking to be some months away...

(I was having the conversation in the same room as my wife (the finance fhurer). She's a nurse and had just cancelled a holiday with her sister because of the Covid crisis, so looking a bit glum. She has been as impressed as me at the work Terry has done on the car and just as amazed as me, at the value for money I am getting)

We had discussed what was needed to finish the car properly and I had explained that it would have to wait, no matter Terry's, or my, frustrations....

Sue came over and told me to order the cage and gave me the money to pay Terry for fitting. She said I might as well have a smile on my face, at least that would ease her angst at not going on a Caribbean cruise. I love the bones of that woman.... Being gracious at a time when I would have sulked...

Terry was also very gracious and accepted what was a meagre offer to fit the cage, he must be genuinely wanting to see it finished.... Top bloke.

sniper
Attachments:

More
31 Mar 2020 14:19 #220512 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Tread Lightly
B) :) ccv class :laugh:
Tell Sue she's a diamond,well chuffed for you mate ;)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
31 Mar 2020 15:40 #220514 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Tread Lightly
Who's a lucky boy then! You have an amazing wife there, a keeper for sure ;-) :laugh:

With your new snorkel you will be able to take her on a 'cruise' through some fords to make up for it perhaps? :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
31 Mar 2020 15:54 #220518 by sniper
Bumper Trim, Recovery Points & Sills Finished

sniper
Attachments:

More
31 Mar 2020 16:23 #220522 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Tread Lightly
Excellent progress, and excellent news too... we love you too Sue!

My missus is just as good with me too... luckily! Especially after thirty years of marriage and 28 years fiddling with Suzukis!

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds