BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Tread Lightly

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
08 Apr 2021 16:41 #234332 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Tread Lightly
Bump stop info for John...

Measure up first. The cut you make depends on the spring size drastically (and its when the spring is under normal load with all 4 wheels on the ground. Remember the air bump has (in theory) a 2" travel distance to be allowed for as well.

Cut off the original bump stop at the point shown in the pics. Use Holesaw on drill to go through and up out the top of the chassis spring seat. Fit it inbetween and use the adjustment to sort out bottoming out to a point your happy with. I found that with the long 2.0x8 fox shocks I needed it set at max down to stop the shocks bottoming out. If I wanted to fit bigger springs than the current +3" jimnybits ones, then I would need to extend the bump stop original tube to get it sitting lower down. This would be so it acts before the spring fully compresses.

The metal collar on the terrafirma air bumps is intended to be welded to the car and therefore comes uncoated. Something I regretably missed, and now mine is rusty :-( 

Finally the nitrogen in them can be adjusted. I have set mine to 200 psi (half their factory setting i think). This is because they were far too stiff at first and gave a really harsh ride. I have nitrogen and regulator if you are stuck ;-) 

Bump stop info for John...

Measure up first. The cut you make depends on the spring size drastically (and its when the spring is under normal load with all 4 wheels on the ground. Remember the air bump has (in theory) a 2" travel distance to be allowed for as well.

Cut off the original bump stop at the point shown in the pics. Use Holesaw on drill to go through and up out the top of the chassis spring seat. Fit it inbetween and use the adjustment to sort out bottoming out to a point your happy with. I found that with the long 2.0x8 fox shocks I needed it set at max down to stop the shocks bottoming out. If I wanted to fit bigger springs than the current +3" jimnybits ones, then I would need to extend the bump stop original tube to get it sitting lower down. This would be so it acts before the spring fully compresses.

The metal collar on the terrafirma air bumps is intended to be welded to the car and therefore comes uncoated. Something I regretably missed, and now mine is rusty :-( 

Finally the nitrogen in them can be adjusted. I have set mine to 200 psi (half their factory setting i think). This is because they were far too stiff at first and gave a really harsh ride. I have nitrogen and proper regulator/attachments in the garage if you are stuck ;-) 

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
08 Apr 2021 17:02 #234333 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Tread Lightly
and braced tubes?... better go the full hog then 

Rear has bottom brace, radius arm & panhard brackets reinforced and shock mounts drilled right through.
Front has top brace, bottom spine, reinforced radius arm/panhard brackets and swivel mount brace. 

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
25 May 2021 09:43 - 25 May 2021 09:46 #235347 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Tread Lightly
Wales scenic with the "Jimny Jaunts" team. Brett, Riccy, Dave and Dave. 

Lots of driving and not many pictures.....

The car went to ICE4X4 in Bolsover for fresh brakes and a check over/prep for it's first serious drive since the build was finished. It was supposed to be having the Terrafirma air bumps fitted but the guys said that the car just doesn't have the weight to warrant such H/D bump stops. At only 1100kg and hoping to get lighter, they feel that the existing suspension set up will cope perfectly...... We'll see....

Set out at 5.15AM for the meet up at the cafe near Dave Jones' place in St Asaph. Nice drive across the Peaks and hit the motorway at Stockport.... Steady drive at 70-80mph for the next hour and the car is behaving perfectly, ICE4X4 have got the car feeling sharp with no rattles and bangs at all, as enjoyable as a two and a half hour drive can be... in a Jimny.....

Dave's "Boogie" looked great and very capable but very cold..... He was kitted up well to keep the cold at bay. Riccy's truck has had a freshen up recently and his pick up looked sharp. Jalapeño was the same mismatched panel monster I saw last time. Dave "The Bee" had a gently lifted 05 Jimny with smaller muds....

Sadly we lost Dave and the "Boogie" after the first few lanes. The head gasket failed and after stopping to cool down and say farewell he had a gentle drive home, under his own power. Luckily the failure happened close to home....

The four of us went on to enjoy the days "scenic" driving.... Both myself and Brett lost our snorkel tops to the same tree branch, one lane needed low box and one which was T&S (you would have to force your way through as a pedestrian) and not much more that a footpath wide....

Great first drive in Wales and if that was a "scenic" trip.... I can't wait for a more serious trip later in the year, including the notorious "Hendryd"....

A small dent on the A pillar where the snorkel copped it, otherwise unscathed. 70-80mph all the way home with no issues.

Great to see some old friends and make a new one... 

sniper
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 May 2021 09:46 by sniper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, Lambert, Riccy

More
15 Aug 2021 08:25 - 15 Aug 2021 08:27 #237560 by sniper
Bottom pulley failed.... Luckily I was just local and I limped it to the barn without getting hot. On inspection, it was clear that the bottom pulley was out of line with the other pulleys. The belts were also intact with no obvious reason for jumping off....

So new parts were ordered:- 850 v-belt, 833 v-belt,  bottom pulley, tensioner, radiator, radiator cap.

Lucky to have access to the barn and tools now, so I can do a few bits myself, my weak heart cannot tolerate the effort needed to undo bolts of any decent size but I was ok taking the radiator out.... Richard Kisby, (my best buddy who I share the barn with), was on hand for the bottom pulley bolt,  tensioner and alternator bolts or I would still be there lol..

Rebuilt waiting for Richard to tighten up.....

With help... it was rebuilt and filled with no air locks, all good....

Ready for the Wales trip and Hendryd, with Brett, Riccy and Nick (in a tricked out gen4), from the Jimny Jaunts group, a trip I have been looking forward to for a couple of years...

Down at the barn yesterday doing the pre trip prep for Wales and still searching for an annoying rattle (developed on the coast to coast)..... Searched and shook everything but couldn't find anything....

The car was MOT'd with only a number plate light needing to be swapped last week, so I hadn't even considered that the rattle could be coming from  a hub..... but it was... near side wheel bearing is shot.... 

No spares to hand and only 12hrs to go before a big day out.... I had to cancel the Wales trip....

Spares are on order with James, so should be here by midweek....

Playing in the mud at the bigjimny meet has come at a price lol.

sniper

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Aug 2021 08:27 by sniper.

More
04 Jan 2022 13:21 #240898 by sniper
Having sold the 11' plate cat D repaired Jimny and made a modest profit, it has also released the cash that has been tied up since May....

Shopping trip in Singapore....

That alongside an RZ racing 70mm throttle body with a standalone ecu which is being installed and mapped at Dynotech in Ripley... I'll be booking it in as soon as I get a delivery date for the manifold and TB.

So new injection system, standalone ECU and fully mapped.... Fingers crossed,  there may be enough cash left to get the front cage and seats done as well...

sniper

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
04 Jan 2022 20:03 #240902 by Soeley

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jan 2022 06:22 #240904 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Tread Lightly
Ooh shiny! What hp increase are you expecting?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Jan 2022 07:30 #240905 by sniper

Ooh shiny! What hp increase are you expecting?
It's supposed to give around 12 bhp on a 1600 sport....

The mappable ecu and rolling road set up will have a bigger impact than the manifold and throttle body.  I'm not looking for ultimate power but a more drivable engine in the 2-5000 rpm range and the map will reflect this. Matched flow from the exhaust and induction will be a big benefit, still hoping to top 130 bhp....

Cams and a flowed head should see over 150bhp but that may start to move power further up the rev range, which I am trying to avoid....

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
11 Feb 2022 09:14 #241787 by sniper
The finished article..... just waiting on shipping.... Longer primary tubes in the hope of finding a little more torque and now mated to a Skunk 70mm throttle body.

Finally settled on Dynotech at Ripley for the standalone install, can't book in until I have the manifold in hand but spec and price have been agreed.

Alongside the exhaust, this should give some balance in flow across the head, crossing my fingers to break 130bhp...

I will do my best to get pictures of the install and rolling road sessions. I might even stump for a power run before the induction is installed, it would be cool to know where it is now and how much it improves (hopefully).... Results will be posted even if disappointing, hopefully in the next month or so.

sniper

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley

More
11 Feb 2022 18:57 #241795 by Martin416
Replied by Martin416 on topic Tread Lightly
Should be a good bit of power. Handy that a skunk to bolts up to it to!

SJ416 spi, 33s, Cage, Rocklobster

More
04 Mar 2022 18:20 #242145 by sniper
Thats come round quick, I'm dropping the car off at DynoTech in Ripley on Monday 7th (still looking for a ride back if anyone is about...).

They are doing an oil & filter change, installing the new injection plenum, installing their RS600 standalone ecu, full rolling road set-up and custom map. 

I've dropped a clanger and filled up with 95ron, so the tune will be based on that fuel. I'll take some octane booster and take the tuners advice on what to do. 

I managed to source a TempTech inlet manifold gasket, supposed to be good for a 7deg C drop in heat transfer to the inlet manifold which is only ever a good thing.

I'm very excited but also a little nervous, I have dreamt up the spec and components, I hope they work well together and produce power in the manner I want.

There are a few little things that will add to the cost but can't be accurately quoted, throttle linkage/cable, induction tubing and filter. I've budgeted a few hundred quid but it has the potential to be a bit more.... I hope not lol...

I'll take some pictures when I drop it off and let you know what was finally agreed on.

sniper

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Mar 2022 03:10 #242147 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Tread Lightly
Really looking forward to seeing what you manage to get from all this. Just out of interest do you have an idea of what it weighs?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds