BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Tread Lightly

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Sep 2020 05:16 #228634 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Tread Lightly
That's going to be fun/a handful in the wet, you'll be needing stickies not muds!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2020 07:47 #228639 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Tread Lightly
It's already "interesting" to drive in the wet Lambert :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It is my intention to start trialing as soon as I can, The Peak & Dukeries Off Road Club have started competitions again and I can compete as the car stands in the RTV (road taxed vehicle) open class (where Jack is the current no1 driver). Hopefully a year or so in this class will allow me to gain the skill to move on to the CCV (cross country vehicle) class where speed plays a bigger part and the cars are more seriously modified. 180bhp will easily allow me to keep up with all the V8 Landy's.... If my driving is good enough.

The front cage will be going on as soon as things calm down at Terry Lofley's workshop. The Covid crisis has given people holiday cash that they seem to be spending on car repairs...

There are still a bucket load of smaller jobs to do as I move through the year....

Fire extinguisher
FIA cut off switch
Seats and harnesses
Perspex side and rear windows
Axle trusses
H/D shafts
Front diff to ATB

Lets just hope the finance fhurer stays on side and I stay out of the pub....

sniper

More
06 Oct 2020 14:29 #228871 by sniper
New gearbox mount, rear bobbins, gearstick bush, rear oil seal and Miller 75/90 fully synth oil ordered... another £85...

Posted the bits for sale.....

sniper

More
08 Oct 2020 14:34 #228917 by sniper
225/75 x 16 now fitted on just 45mm lift, thanks to Jack, might end up as a permanent fitment...

I have to hop in now lol....

sniper
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
08 Oct 2020 16:17 #228921 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Tread Lightly
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationB) looking good mate!

Maybe this needed next :whistle:
:whistle:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
08 Oct 2020 16:46 #228922 by sniper
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Riccy wrote: B) looking good mate!

Maybe this needed next :whistle:
:whistle:

Thanks Riccy.... No need.... At least it's not a potty step on a bit of string.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sniper

More
10 Oct 2020 11:36 #228982 by sniper
I felt a little nervous fitting the R7ME gearbox in to my car, it is an unknown to me. So I have decided to have it stripped and serviced at M&T Transmissions in Sheffield prior to installing it on the 19th..... What was supposed to be a cheap conversion is now looking not so.....

I hear of many owners fitting 30" and even 31" tyres without altering the drivetrain at all, often saying that the car drives fine.....

Having fitted the 225/75x16's (which are a tad under 30") on my VVT and doing a few journeys, it is awful.... There is a long gradual climb southbound from Sheffield on the M1 and I had to drop in to 3rd before hitting the crown. I drove out of South Wales the other weekend (on 215's) with many miles at similar inclines and the car romped it, now all of the gears are flat with little oomph.... I hate to think what it has done to the low range gearing.... If anybody is considering doing it, don't.

I hope the R7ME conversion gets back a little of the pep that has been lost to the bigger tyres, I know it will be slower anyway, the tyres are heavier and bigger, so will cause more drag.

It is being fitted with a new Exedy clutch, new genuine cable and all new mounts, so will be as good as it can be... Fingers crossed but still nervy...

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Oct 2020 11:48 #228983 by Lambert
All you are doing is reinforcing my belief that the standard Jimny is the best compromise for tyre size and gearing. 3rd gear on a bit of a hill on the M1 is not good.

More
21 Oct 2020 17:25 #229353 by sniper
Not a good month for the Jimny....

The R7ME gearbox I collected from South Wales was sent to M&T Transmissions for a strip and clean before fitting. When stripped, it had dumped a bearing and had a broken selector.....

Agreed for M&T to supply an R7ME box for full rebuild and they got let down by their supplier....

I had to cancel the scheduled fitting date, messing workshop's about is something I hate to do but there was no alternative...

Still waiting for the rebuilt box which "hopefully" will be with me in a few days....

Just got to cross my fingers that I can still get in to the shop for the conversion in a reasonable time...

On a plus note, I have been to see a local MX5 guru who runs a couple of cars, one of which is a 1600 with 347bhp... He has put a tape across my car and is up for doing the engine / 6 speed box conversion next year.

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Oct 2020 03:20 #229375 by Lambert
375hp? In a Jimny? Now you have my interest, that could be fun!

More
22 Oct 2020 06:54 #229379 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Tread Lightly
I suspect you will end up breaking CVs and bending half shafts with that much power.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

More
22 Oct 2020 07:13 #229381 by sniper
That sort of power is way past what I'm looking for Lambert but following my visit to Keith (what is it with engines and guys called Keith...?) and seeing his fresh build on the bench with a very big turbo. That sort of power is readily available with the Mazda platform..... Being a low compression engine with a very solid standard bottom end, Keith says that bolt on chargers can take you safely to 250bhp. His higher output engines are forged and much more expensive than I have budget for.

The engine I am considering is the 1.8 VVT with around 150 bhp as standard, with induction changes and a standalone ecu, 180bhp would be very achievable.....

He has got a low miles accident damaged car coming to him in the next few weeks and that will form the basis of the conversion. Ball park numbers have been agreed and initially it will use standard induction and ecu.

The only negative for me is the fact that he works alone and is talking around six weeks to complete the conversion,

sniper

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds