BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jun 2020 17:51 - 03 Jun 2020 17:52 #223230 by Lambert
Looking good. So what are you planning on for storage of things like that battery saw of yours and all the other bits and pieces of kit needed for a day out? Some sort of arrangement above the winch or just wedge it all behind the seats?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 03 Jun 2020 17:52 by Lambert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2020 19:16 #223233 by RainerK
Great build! And great thread!

Regarding your wiring, I could not see or read if you also connected the positive to the starter? I think the negative to the starter is one of the „two original“ cables that you connected.

On my 2015 the positive to the starter is the only cable directly from the battery that does not go through the (expensive) Suzuki 80A fuse that is integrated into the battery adapter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
03 Jun 2020 20:42 - 03 Jun 2020 20:47 #223235 by X8GGY

Lambert wrote: Looking good. So what are you planning on for storage of things like that battery saw of yours and all the other bits and pieces of kit needed for a day out? Some sort of arrangement above the winch or just wedge it all behind the seats?

A damn good question Lambert ;) And something I've been giving thought to as the rear is nearing completion... I still have to do the other side of he cab though, capping the rear of the cut-off body I mean, but if I look at a photo of the rear 'tray' -

... by the time the mud guard goes on the nearside, and the rope guide handle will need the orange triangle indicated area to be able to influence the rope back onto the drum evenly - when it comes back from plating that is ;) That only leaves the yellow area to the left of the spare wheel in terms of spare space in the rear tray... Couple that with the imbalance of the fuel filler little 90o bend on the offside, I was thinking of replicating that in the nearside as a hole into a basket in the yellow square area that could house the big yellow tree strop we throw around trees to get a tug off them? That would then balance the back out a bit too...

The rest of the gear is planned to go behind mostly the passenger seat, in a bug chrome 2" basket I've acquired from the shop, nice chunky "mesh" to keep the tools and recovery gear safe, as it'll have to be lockable as the buggy is "open" all the time, so that's what the fourth "keyed-alike" padlock is for, somewhere here -

So that would house a tool bag, the cordless chainsaw and angle grinder, saws, etc..

Looking back at photos of when the big bucket seats were in would indicate quite a bit of spare area behind them?

Another... I'll have to get them out of storage in a few weeks and try them back in ;)

So that only leaves our personal possessions, food and drink, spare clothes for the day...?

For that I was thinking of this area! -

As I can't see my passenger (Alan!) sat straddling the winch rope tube?...

That's the current storage ideas thinking anyways? ;)

I'll have to carry a little less than I used to in the Jimny formerly known as S200KYS :lol:
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jun 2020 20:47 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
03 Jun 2020 20:50 #223236 by X8GGY

RainerK wrote: Great build! And great thread!

Regarding your wiring, I could not see or read if you also connected the positive to the starter? I think the negative to the starter is one of the „two original“ cables that you connected.

On my 2015 the positive to the starter is the only cable directly from the battery that does not go through the (expensive) Suzuki 80A fuse that is integrated into the battery adapter.

Thanks I'll check that at the weekend, this is an old X-reg Jimny, a 2000 model, so the wiring may be different (prehistoric!) :lol: But I will double check ;)

Dave B)

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
03 Jun 2020 21:03 #223237 by X8GGY
More thoughts...

And valuables locked in the glovebox of course...

And there's always a bit of room under the seats...?

And the question of the passengers legroom... Alan's only lickle, and an ex-rally driver / navigator, so I was going to get him a nice rally alloy footrest for his side, but don't tell him? ;) What do you mean he reads the forum?! :ohmy: :lol: ;)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Jun 2020 03:25 #223242 by Lambert
Some good ideas there Dave. I too am fond of having my lunch box in the front passenger foot well it's a sensible place once you have trained the passengers not to kick it too much.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
04 Jun 2020 13:13 #223259 by X8GGY
Thanks Lambert...

Another few deliveries... all rubber themed today?!

Fuel filler hose, heat shrink and car nats! Optimistic I know... but there is light at the end if the tunnel!

Looks like they chewed the end of the hose rather than cutting it neatly though?! :laugh:
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
04 Jun 2020 16:42 - 04 Jun 2020 16:48 #223260 by X8GGY
Couple of hours off!...

I cut the hose neatly, heated it with a hot air gun to get it flexible for the bend, and then tightened it in...

So that it fits neatly under the waffle board holder.

Yup, happy with that! Next!...

This is the basket that will be getting butchered for the behind the seat storage (Lambert).

And as the heatshrink had arrived, I made the shortest cable ever made! :lol:

And the final one, so all complete...

You may remember the principle of my two-switch split-charge system? -

In the garage. both switches off, so the batteries are not linked and won't try and charge each other and deplete their charge,,,

Off we go for a day's greenlaning, and the battery switch gets turned to ON and the winch battery happily charges away as we drive around our beautiful countryside...

Oops. we're delayed by an obstacle, so the charging switch gets turned OFF and thewinch switch gets turned to ON, so the winch has power but it won't deplete the engine (starting) battery...

Passed that little obstacle? So the winch switch gets turned back OFF and the battery charging switch gets turned ON, so it gets charged up by the alternator as we bimble around the countryside again...

Safely home, and parked up in the garage, so both switches are turned to the OFF position, as it waits for the next grand day out... ;)

This also explains my choice of cable... the winch cables are 25mm2 and the standard engine compartment cables are a measly 10mm2, so I chose to use 35mm2 cabling for the charging link between the two batteries, slightly over-specifed for a charging circuit* (!) but it leaves me with the option if I am seriously stuck and the winch / battery needs help, I still have the option to switch the battery charging switch on and use engine / alternator power for the winching operation as the cables are bigger specified than the winch cables themselves...

* this size was also influenced by the cost of the said cabling as well of course, some of the thicker cables are really expensive! :ohmy:
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jun 2020 16:48 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
07 Jun 2020 18:13 - 07 Jun 2020 21:51 #223359 by X8GGY
Good day today B)

I had a bit of a lie-in, only nine o'clock, but when you're normally up at 5:30 am and work fourteen hour days all week, that's a good lie-in! Then a cooked breakfast, and eventually made it out into the garage at a leisurely 11 o'clock! :ohmy:

Not many photos today, you'll be glad to hear ;) but here's the end results of today's efforts...

The "wading wall" (it needs to be as high as the half-doors for fording rivers and streams ;) ) is mostly in, mostly, as the passenger side isn't finished YET...

But the driver's side is nearing completion... just a bit more welding where the rear 'tray' loop joins the body and the diagonal elliptical tube to go in yet...

The waffle board mounts are now welded in and "undercoated" also in red ocide...

The inside... the back of the "wading wall" will eventually be black smoothrite to match the bed liner floor...

I ended the day by fiddling with a mount and guard for the hi-level brake light which will go at the back of the little winch rope loop on the halo hoop around the roofline...

That ended up looking alright, quite pleased with that, and will weld that in on Wednesday...

Just had a nice hot shower with a cold Stella, and now off for a "fakeaway" Nando's with the family B)

Edit : Forgot to mention... twenty nice aesthetic BIG pop rivets to attach the "wading wall" in... I forgot how un-fit I am, must join a gym! :lol:
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jun 2020 21:51 by X8GGY.

More
10 Jun 2020 07:34 #223429 by kirkynut
Looking good Dave. Have you got any drain holes in case water makes it over your wading wall? I used to just remove the bungs on our old SJ.

I have a selection of rubber grommets I bought online but can't see when I will use them if you would like me to post you a couple of the bigger ones. Obviously they don't have a hole in them so they could be used to block and seal a hole in the floor and be removed for draining. PM me if you do.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
10 Jun 2020 08:18 #223430 by mlines

X8GGY wrote:
Just had a nice hot shower with a cold Stella,

You drink Stella in the shower?

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
10 Jun 2020 14:59 #223441 by X8GGY
Thanks Kirkynut... I'll haqve a think about that...

mlines wrote:

X8GGY wrote:
Just had a nice hot shower with a cold Stella,

You drink Stella in the shower?

Oooh, yes, after a long days greenlaning or working in the garage, there's nothing better than an ice cold Stella in a nice hot shower... B)

And... if you leave the empty can in there, oooh, the wife loves discovering it later! :lol: :evil:

A good days work today, bit of sanding, and prep' and then a lick of "undercoat" / primer... red oxide before the JCB uyellow enamel goes on top...

All around the halo hoop and roofline, and the X brace in the body...

Hoovered the cab out and painted the winch rope tube, ready for bedliner towards the end...

And painted the half-door to get an idea if it needs more work... quite happy with it though, it is after all a greenlaning buggy, not a custom show car!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

Time to create page: 0.302 seconds