BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jun 2019 19:04 #209677 by Lambert
There are hubs?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
05 Jun 2019 19:19 #209678 by X8GGY

Lambert wrote: There are hubs?

:lol:
Attachments:

More
05 Jun 2019 20:04 #209681 by jackonlyjack

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Jun 2019 04:25 #209689 by Lambert

S200KYS wrote:

Lambert wrote: There are hubs?

:lol:

Ohhhhhh. Okay.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 Jun 2019 05:57 - 06 Jun 2019 09:05 #209694 by X8GGY

Keithy wrote: I like those wheels and tyres!

I'd like to build a Willys body onto a Jimny chassis.....one day!

Thamks Keithy ;)

They are 16" Grand Vitara alloys shod with 235/70R16 (29"*) Malatesta Kamels

Should suit the buggy look?

*Hence fitting VVT diffs to correct the gearing... sticking with a standard transfer box for this (supposedly) "budget" build ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jun 2019 09:05 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
10 Jun 2019 11:53 #209799 by X8GGY
Back in the garage again yesterday... I set the alarm for 8:30am to get out there for 9:00am and began working quietly as the rest of the family where still asleep ;)

As time passed and it got to a more godly hour I got the angle grinder out and finished...

,,, dropping the front axle out, still with the radius arms and shocks attached, as it's easier to work with the axle off the vehicle and on the floor, and later up on trestles later for a rebuild...

Then Brett arrived, as he needed some brackets making up to keep his spare wheel in place in the boot... so we did that together and had a bacon bap after the family got back from taking the dogs for a walk and a swim in the river...

After Brett had gone, I had the welder and Hammerite blacj paint out so I thought I might as well get on with...

... strengthening the steering bars,,, I'd ordered some seamless tube with a 26mm ID to match the 25mm OD of the steering bars...

I took the old track rod ends off and labelled them to reset the new ones when they get rebuilt later...

I then drilled the seamless tube and cleaned the steering bars underneath where the holes lined up...

I then puddle welded into all the holes, and the ends of the tubes to the rods, and then cleaned everything up with the angle grinder...

I then hung them off one of S200KYS' waffle boards to paint them a couple of coats in the sun B)

Closeup of the step in the strengthened bar (new track rod ends loosely fitted to hang them up for painting...

I then spent some time striiping everything off the axle casing...

And eventually sat down with t a beer to wait for my youngest daughter's boyfriend to come "home" (he virtually lives with us!) from work, to...

... help me lift the axle onto a couple of waiting trestles for the strip and rebuild this week...

And strip, clean and paint the front radius arms and fit the SuperPro bushes in ready for the eventual rebuild...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
10 Jun 2019 17:07 #209808 by Riccy
Thats a top idea with the steering bars Dave!

I wonder if something similar could be done for the panhard rods? You could get the tube threaded internally at one end. Cut one end off the donor panard rod, sleeve it over and use a screw in end perhaps?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Jun 2019 18:30 #209821 by Lambert
In land rover circles it's a thing to have loosely fitting heavy wall tubing over the steering bars so that the outer can roll over an obstacle. I never bothered with them but quite a few did.

More
10 Jun 2019 18:43 #209822 by jackonlyjack
Yes Lambert i remember them jingle jingle all the way :lol:
Dave any reason why you didn't have longer sleeves ?
like just leaving 5mm protruding each end

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Jun 2019 19:50 #209828 by Lambert
It's a land rover, they came with rattling preinstalled at the factory, what's one more that will be drowned out in the cacophony anyway?

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
10 Jun 2019 19:56 - 10 Jun 2019 20:09 #209829 by X8GGY

jackonlyjack wrote: Yes Lambert i remember them jingle jingle all the way :lol:
Dave any reason why you didn't have longer sleeves ?
like just leaving 5mm protruding each end

When I looked on eBay the maximum length for the size I wanted was 90cm and the drag link is 100cm, so I figured a 5cm / 2" step at the end would be fine as any flex will be in the middle not at the ends, so I cut the front tube for the steering bar to be the same 5cm / 2" step at each end... :lol:

I could have asked the seller to cut the two pieces at 100cm and 75cm I suppose (insteadof 2 lengths of 90cm, but that would have slowed the sale / despatch down), but I figured it would be a good cheap fix and aesthetically pleasing with the step in where the bars met the hubs...? ;)

Rockwatt used to sell HD steering bars, I have a pair on S200KYS, the alternative is TrailGear ones from JB, but they are £226 plus delivery, and require the track-rod-end mounting holes to be reemed out? So I figured DIY was easier and more cost effective...?

I never considered leaving it loose to roll over stuff> Just wanted to beef up the bars while everything was stripped and off...?

Dave ;)
Last edit: 10 Jun 2019 20:09 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
12 Jun 2019 20:07 - 12 Jun 2019 20:12 #209906 by X8GGY
Bit more today...

Some more parts turned up in the post...

I started to strip the front axle ready for a paint and a rebuild...

Fought long and hard with the oil filler cap! Won in the end thanks to the blow torch to melt the mastic someone had used... the square hole rounded off first, and then smacking it with a chisel failed to get it to shift... :lol:

With the oil out, stripped the drivers side down to the bare ball...

And then the other side... the CVs might need a bit of grease in them before the rebuild?! :woohoo:

I've been contemplating long and hard on whether to fit matching front Trail Gear HD shafts whilst rebuilding, but have eventually decided (mostly due to lack of funds at the moment!) to stick with the standard 22's, the transfer box and props are staying standard, and it's "only" a fun buggy for some summer 'laning, so why go the the extent of HD front shafts? I might regret typing that? #HENRYD ;) :lol:

Diff out... a VVT one is going in instead, to correct the gearing for the 29" tyres.

A few bags in the diff hole and then wire brush and sand everything flat ready for some paint...

I had some debate with the rest of the lads on our WhatsApp group as to whether I should re-use the king pins themselves again, but with them being on a high mileage X-reg donor, I think it's probably wise to replace them as a matter of course,especially being as everything else is being replaced with new as I rebuild...

I then got a call to say my Dad had been admitted to hospital :( So I quickly showered and went to visit him, I'll return to this soon ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jun 2019 20:12 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds